Subject: HELP rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Adam Rivas
United States
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok folks. I really need some advice. I glued my Starfire together this weekend by I forgot to paint her underbelly 1st. I'd really lie to take her off the base and do this then put her back on.
Any suggestions for this? shake
Currently she is wrapped in paper towel inside a ziplock bag in my freezer. I heard this will make the glue fragile and breakable.
I am considering using some nail polish remover as a solvent but I heard that this can damage the plastic model

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K K
msg tools
You have to use non acetone nail polish remover (this should be written on the label).

From what I hear the non acetone one doesn't damage the plastic.

I used it once to remove the paint from my mini battlestargalactica viper and it went great.

Don't know about the glue, though,

And don't worry, I glued the dwarf too soon and now can't access the details next to his shield. It happens. No one will look underneath the dragon anyways!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bobby Warren
United States
Glendale
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
La cheeserie!
mbmb
Konzik wrote:
And don't worry, I glued the dwarf too soon and now can't access the details next to his shield. It happens. No one will look underneath the dragon anyways!

I disagree. They will look under the dragon, they just won't live to tell about it! laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Rivas
United States
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thank you kk, i will try the non acetone remover. I'd tip ya some geek gold but I hardly have any
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Rivas
United States
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Indeed Starfire is the scourge of the dungeons! devil She often kills off all of my gaming buddies and probably will do so with a vengence if they make fun of her belly
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emil Vincent Alonzo
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
504Shadeaux wrote:
Ok folks. I really need some advice. I glued my Starfire together this weekend by I forgot to paint her underbelly 1st. I'd really lie to take her off the base and do this then put her back on.
Any suggestions for this? shake
Currently she is wrapped in paper towel inside a ziplock bag in my freezer. I heard this will make the glue fragile and breakable.
I am considering using some nail polish remover as a solvent but I heard that this can damage the plastic model

HA! Im not laughing at your predicament, but more the fact that I ran into the same issue of having the hardest time reaching areas on the dragon after gluing it, so I feel your pain.

Sorry I dont have an answer to the un-gluing process but I can tell you that I was still able to paint the underside pretty cleanly and decently... tho it was PAINSTAKINGLY slow as I really had to go inch by inch and turn the dragon in a million different angles to reach all the spots. Im not a super experienced model painter tho, so unsure if there are techniques or other strokes,etc. that are undoable at that angle =(.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jenny Nguyen
Australia
Bungarribee
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Liberal inking might cover some of the nooks and crannies but it'll look out of place if you don't ink all your figures.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Standen
United Kingdom
Hove
East Sussex
flag msg tools
badge
Duke say "play games"
mbmbmbmbmb
You could just cut it off, then glue it back afterwards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Rivas
United States
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
LOL I'm not the most experienced model maker/painter either. SDE is my first attempt at this and I gotta say that minis are becoming a new hobby. I really enjoy the process.
Freezing worked however a couple of the dragons pieces broke when they came loose- nothing terrible though. Liquid green to the rescue !
Thank you all for your help and advice. I spent last night base coating my beastie and she is looking fearsome and sexy
She is still being constructed. Pictured are the base and her held by my clamps. And the roach in the pic is rubber I assure you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Glad you got the dragon fixed!

I love the lava effect on the base. That looks awesome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Rivas
United States
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thank you for the compliment, im really new to the mini world and still learning
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emil Vincent Alonzo
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
504Shadeaux wrote:
LOL I'm not the most experienced model maker/painter either. SDE is my first attempt at this and I gotta say that minis are becoming a new hobby. I really enjoy the process.
Freezing worked however a couple of the dragons pieces broke when they came loose- nothing terrible though. Liquid green to the rescue !
Thank you all for your help and advice. I spent last night base coating my beastie and she is looking fearsome and sexy
She is still being constructed. Pictured are the base and her held by my clamps. And the roach in the pic is rubber I assure you.

I really love the fire effect on the base too! I've seen someone do similar, and I think I may have to "borrow" that idea =).

Yeh I accidentally dropped my Starfire and broke off BOTH his wings =(... You said tho that Liquid Green Stuff held them back together firmly? I've tried 2 different kinds of glues already and tho they hold for a while the wings tend to still start separating a tiny big on the cracks when stressed too much and ive had to reapply glue every once in a while =(.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Rivas
United States
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I really love the fire effect on the base too! I've seen someone do similar, and I think I may have to "borrow" that idea =).

Yeh I accidentally dropped my Starfire and broke off BOTH his wings =(... You said tho that Liquid Green Stuff held them back together firmly? I've tried 2 different kinds of glues already and tho they hold for a while the wings tend to still start separating a tiny big on the cracks when stressed too much and ive had to reapply glue every once in a while =(.[/q]

I have used the liquid green on the hips of Starfire to create a smother look for the joints. Its not really a paint so much as it is a thick liquid that solidifies into a hard substance. If I were gonna use it to fix wings Id say use it like glue where the plastic meets, then on top of the cracks as well. A clamp would help here (like the one in my pic).
I'd try the meeting edges first then let dry then coat top and bottom of cracks and let dry. You may have to sand or file a bit for smoothness then repaint.
Good luck, let me know how this works- post a pic or message me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Rivas
United States
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
the above was supposed to have that fancy blue box representing the quote but i havent figured out how to do that yet
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Urich
United States
Stuart
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
roboraygun wrote:
Yeh I accidentally dropped my Starfire and broke off BOTH his wings =(... You said tho that Liquid Green Stuff held them back together firmly? I've tried 2 different kinds of glues already and tho they hold for a while the wings tend to still start separating a tiny big on the cracks when stressed too much and ive had to reapply glue every once in a while =(.

I think your main problem is going to be too little surface area bonding the two pieces together. A strong glue/epoxy might hold, but probably not over years of normal handling.

I think your best bet (short of begging CMoN for a replacement) would be to pin the wings. If pinning is not an option, I'd use solid epoxy (Green Stuff or whatever your favorite is) applied to a larger surface area with lost details sculpted back into the epoxy.

Liquid Green Stuff wouldn't let you sculpt the details back (it's a liquid, so cutting a line into it would still dry smooth), and it shrinks into the cracks a lot when it dries (reducing surface area being bonded). I'm also not sure Liquid Green Stuff is actually a strong bonding agent, as I've never heard someone using it for that purpose before.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emil Vincent Alonzo
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RichardU wrote:
roboraygun wrote:

I think your main problem is going to be too little surface area bonding the two pieces together. A strong glue/epoxy might hold, but probably not over years of normal handling.

I think your best bet (short of begging CMoN for a replacement) would be to pin the wings. If pinning is not an option, I'd use solid epoxy (Green Stuff or whatever your favorite is) applied to a larger surface area with lost details sculpted back into the epoxy.

Liquid Green Stuff wouldn't let you sculpt the details back (it's a liquid, so cutting a line into it would still dry smooth), and it shrinks into the cracks a lot when it dries (reducing surface area being bonded). I'm also not sure Liquid Green Stuff is actually a strong bonding agent, as I've never heard someone using it for that purpose before.

Yeh so far the patch jobs have been for quick fixes, but if it continues I had considered inserting some kind of reinforcement inside like a thin rod or pin... yeh its kind of a balance with the detail thing... at this point Im more in favor of them just staying on at this point =(.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Rivas
United States
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The plastic of the wings is very thin placing reinforcing rods may be difficult and damage the model further.
Perhaps using liquid green or glue to secure craft wire under the wings for added support? Not easily visible area. Like a wire frame.
Glue/green the wings together, Glue the wire in place, paint over in green to secure, sand and repaint it.
Might could work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emil Vincent Alonzo
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
504Shadeaux wrote:
The plastic of the wings is very thin placing reinforcing rods may be difficult and damage the model further.
Perhaps using liquid green or glue to secure craft wire under the wings for added support? Not easily visible area. Like a wire frame.
Glue/green the wings together, Glue the wire in place, paint over in green to secure, sand and repaint it.
Might could work.

Yeh, maybe running something under and covering it may be the best then. For now, the new application of "sticky stuff" has hardened and is holding, but if I have further problems i may have to rig something up =/.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Urich
United States
Stuart
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
504Shadeaux wrote:

There's a sort of ball at the end of the wing that attaches to the body of the dragon. If the wing snapped off above that (in the actual wing section), you're probably right. If it snapped below the ball (basically the peg just broke off), I think there's plenty of space to safely drill a .5mm hole. You can even drill straight through the ball since most of it is low detail and can easily be just sanded after you fill the hole you make.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Rivas
United States
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
why not post a pic of the beastie? maybe under a new thread or this one- folks can get a better idea of how to help you

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.