BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Light, social, cutthroat for small group (4-6) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Lester Freamon
Germany
Duesseldorf
flag msg tools
We have a new gaming group with some gamers and non-gamers. So far the bigger hits have been Time's up and Shadows over Camelot, mostly because of the traitor thing and the theme.

So I am looking for some lightish, 4 to 5-6 players game allowing lots of social interaction (and this is the main thing). So far, the most promising game seems to be Junta viva el Presidente!: lots of interaction, funny theme and easy to explain. Any similar games?

PS: I'd love it to be BSG but the theme is not appealing to most of the group.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Hoy
Canada
Saskatoon
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Survive Escape from Atlantis with the 5-6 player expansion is a nice light cutthroat game.

Incan Gold plays up to 8 and is also fairly light. It isn't as cutthroat as Survive but it can get fairly tense at times.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Hall
United Kingdom
Yate
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cutthroat Caverns is well worth looking at.
Cosmic Encounter might do the job too (although you'd need the first expansion, Cosmic Encounter: Cosmic Incursion to play 6).
Discworld: Ankh-Morpork is very good as well, although it only plays 4.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pandemic(plus it's expansion On the Brink) and Letters from White Chapel are both good cooperative games that have a lot of interaction to them due to devising strategies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brook Gentlestream
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You already know about Battlestar Galactica: The Board Game, but I still highly recommend it. Its a shame they based such a great game on a television show, as it definitely could have stood on its own. I never watched the show, but still love the game.

Succession: Intrigue in the Royal Court : Auctioning and politics (choosing to help or hinder particular players)
Citadels (bluffing and tricking your opponents)
Innovation (no mechanics directly interactive, but it has still proven to be one of our most engaging and interactive games)
The Resistance (lots of voting, and figuring out who the traitors are)

My highest recommendation among these is Citadels for its nature of in-your-head deep psychological warfare in trying to outbluff your opponent. At its heart, it is a complex bluffing game on top of a simple economic engine.

-1 Cutthroat Caverns; This felt more like a math-game for us than an interactive game of cutthroat betrayal. Unless the expansions add a *lot* to the game, even Colossal Arena and Modern Art felt more interactive and engaging.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy Creamer
United States
Arlington Heights
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lifeboat looks like it exactly fits what you are looking for I just got it based on a review i saw on dicehateme.com. Also Saboteur is really fun and has all the same great traitor mechanics.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Hall
United Kingdom
Yate
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
lordrahvin wrote:
-1 Cutthroat Caverns; This felt more like a math-game for us than an interactive game of cutthroat betrayal. Unless the expansions add a *lot* to the game, even Colossal Arena and Modern Art felt more interactive and engaging.

What in the world did you do? Remove all of the cards that screw with the other players?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brook Gentlestream
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DreadFuzzy wrote:
What in the world did you do? Remove all of the cards that screw with the other players?

Randomly drawing "screw another player" cards is not enough to make a game interactive. If it were, I'd be recommending Zombies!!! And again, which player is screwed isn't usually a matter of cutthroat betrayal, politics, or negotiation -- usually there's only one player that can really be screwed or the math of the situation makes the chosen player kind of obvious.

What can I say? It was just dull and fell flat with our group, It wasn't a bad game (not as bad as Zombies!!! for example), but it just had a very "Eh, that was okay" feeling after play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Patuxent River
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Might want to checkout Eruption.

Your village is about to burn up, can you take the heat?

Eruption is a competitive survival game about directing lava flows towards nieghboring villages with goal of having them burn to the ground first while protecting your own village. 2-6 players
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Gaskell
England
Lancashire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
+1 for Saboteur
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dan the man

Richmond
Virginia
msg tools
As stated before, Survive: Escape from Atlantis! is a fantastic cut throat game that is fairly easy to learn. I think the theme is strong, and one that is easily liked.

My other suggestion would be King of Tokyo. It's even easier to learn, and you are constantly battling with one another. The theme is fun, but even if they don't like the theme, it's fast enough to keep them playing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Cepeda
United States
Anthem
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There's always Munchkin or any of its variants! I know some people don't like it (length of time, silliness, backstabbing) but my group(s) always enjoys it when it comes out. (Admittedly, it doesn't come out all the time...)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert B
United States
Parsons
Kansas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for Cutthroat Caverns.

Very light, the group has to work together at first, but then it is every person out for themselves.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sicaria Occaeco
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
lordrahvin wrote:
DreadFuzzy wrote:

Randomly drawing "screw another player" cards is not enough to make a game interactive. If it were, I'd be recommending Zombies!!! And again, which player is screwed isn't usually a matter of cutthroat betrayal, politics, or negotiation -- usually there's only one player that can really be screwed or the math of the situation makes the chosen player kind of obvious.

What can I say? It was just dull and fell flat with our group, It wasn't a bad game (not as bad as Zombies!!! for example), but it just had a very "Eh, that was okay" feeling after play.

It's not about screwing one obvious player. It's about screwing everyone but yourself while everyone else picks on the obvious one. Great for negotiation and backstabbing but the players have to bring that to the table. This will vary by group as all negotiation games will.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Abdul Rahman Ibrahim
Malaysia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
gecko1919 wrote:
Lifeboat looks like it exactly fits what you are looking for I just got it based on a review i saw on dicehateme.com. Also Saboteur is really fun and has all the same great traitor mechanics.

+1 on Lifeboat. It's a cool little game that gets you scheming from turn 1. In my first game, the whole table was in an uproar because the Captain decided to mug the Kid as his first move
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lester Freamon
Germany
Duesseldorf
flag msg tools
Thanks a lot for all the ideas! I have to re-check some games since I thought Saboteur was only suitable for larger groups. Survival and Lifeboat also look pretty interesting.

Also I agree with lordravin, Battlestar Galactica was one of the best games I played, both in mechanics and theme, really tense and enjoyable. Sadly, there's the thing with the theme - I know by experience that it's not so nice to play to some TV-themed game without having seen the show while some players are (madly) enjoying the roleplaying their characters.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenny VenOsdel
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
lordrahvin wrote:

I'll cancel you out and say +1 to Cutthroat Caverns. Lots of fun, lots of screwage, lots of replayability, not too heavy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kendahl Johnson
United States
Syracuse
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The game I thought of immediately when I saw this thread was Intrigue. But Lifeboats is another great option.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Needle
Australia
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ca$h 'n Gun$
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Morgan
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
nnf1 wrote:

Light, loads of bluffing, plays quickly, and you can play just the simple base game or add in the powers cards and undercover cop for more complexity and variety.

It's been a huge hit among my gaming circle, and non-gamers have all loved it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Smith
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Illuminati: Deluxe Edition has a fun and sort of silly theme with fun cards. I wouldn't quite call it light (it's a tad involved), but certainly no more complex than most of the games listed like Shadows or BSG or the like. It has tons of alliances and deals and attacking. It's kind of like if you took Munchkin and actually fleshed it out and balanced it a bit (though Munchkin and variants can certainly be fun).

+1 to Citadels, Cosmic Encounter, and Saboteur

Saboteur would work with 5 or more players to be fun, I would say. Not sure I've tried it with 3 or 4 but it just doesn't sound like it would be fun like that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Shillinglaw
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
This is what I play.
badge
Vegatable Alien is perlexed by slab of meat.
mbmbmbmbmb
Condottiere may work. You can make agreements with other players but there is nothing to keep you from staying honest. Lots of interaction as bluffing and card-driven battles.

Take a look and see what you think.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Shaw
United States
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
oeste wrote:
For that description, I must suggest Citadels

That's the first that came to mind for me as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
#YOLO
mbmbmbmbmb
-1 Cutthroat Caverns -- dislike the theme, dislike the gameplay
-1 Citadels -- love this with 2 or 3 players, with 5+ it becomes tiresome waiting for people
+1 Modern Art - tons of fun, lots of interaction, but not really a light game; social and cutthroat for sure though
+1000 The Resistance -- an amazing, amazing game

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
General Norris
Spain
flag msg tools
mb
kendahlj wrote:
The game I thought of immediately when I saw this thread was Intrigue.

+1 Intrigue is an amazing game, plays up to 5 (6 withs ome versions IIRC) and is the evilest game per rules ratio ever made. You can play it in 45 minutes and anyone can understand the rules from the go making anyone who isn't a cry baby a perfect fit for the game.

If you are looking for a tense game look no further because in this game you have to constantly try to look as nice as possible while screwing everyone as much as possible, don't be fooled by it's low ratings, people downrate negotiation games.

It's also very cheap (13€ or so)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.