Subject: how you store/ hold your game cards together? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
as the subject line states - i thought it would be interesting to put together a poll (w/ 10 or so different answer options) to find out what most BGG gamers use when storing their games. since once a poll is made it can not be modified, i thought to have this initial post (lasting 24 hrs or so) gathering the information, and then use whatever responses i get for a followup poll in another thread.

so far i got:

1. nothing/ loose in the box
2. baggies
3. rubber bands
4. "bondage" tape
5. hugo's amazing tape
6. deck box

i don't believe i should include card sleeves as a choice, because they are more for protection vs. holding them together for storage.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pater Absurdus
United States
Carrollton
Texas
flag msg tools
There's really no wrong way to use a margarita pool
badge
"What is best in Life? To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women."
mbmbmbmbmb
looks good to me!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I will no longer use rubber bands and would not recommend them to anyone - some of my older games had these and over time the rubber bands rotted and stuck to the cards.

To add to your list:
Envelope
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Cooley
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Me rocking out with my band, which you can hear at www.raindriver.com
mbmbmbmbmb
While I'm not sure if they qualify as separate from "rubber bands" (as these are almost always a bad idea as they age and break down), I know that several of my gaming friends use special rubber bands that don't have that problem. Sorry I can't give you more information.

Another good question to ask is whether people prefer to use a plastic insert (like with Dominion or Arkham Horror) that holds the cards if possible.

Finally, I'll note that I use a "custom" solution for the first five Dominion boxes that I bought from a guy online - basically some plastic dividers and custom labels. Getting all five sets in one box is pretty impressive, and it speeds up setup-teardown by quite a bit, although the box now weights about 20 lbs. So you might consider an answer of "custom solution" or "plastic dividers" as well, although this is clearly only for games that only have cards and perhaps a few other small components (like Dominion does).

Doug
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Theorel Masheriel
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmb
might include "box insert"? or self-made inserts.
It's similar to nothing, but feels different to me from loose in the box.

I personally use the box insert to keep them reasonably contained, but then bag them if the insert is insufficient, or form an insert for them if it's a pure card game.

And then, as evidenced by that reply, some people may have multiple options depending on situation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Coates
United States
Winston Salem
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Plasti-Bands
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. Shanmugasundaram
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Scrunchies? Not the big frilly ones. They sell simple ones that look like thick string. I think they're called "hair ties."

I don't use them myself, but I've strongly considered it. They don't seem to rot -- they're covered with nylon or somesuch.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Phillips Beckerman
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
these thick elastic loops are wrapped in cotton & seem to last forever. They only come in one size, but there are both thick & thinnly wrapped ones. Always in hair department of drug stores, grocery stores and dollar stores.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin
United States
Lake Elsinore
California
flag msg tools
badge
I don't want the world; I just want your half.
mbmbmbmbmb
Never rubber bands.

Generally tuck boxes or baggies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Dearborn Heights
Michigan
flag msg tools
Fizzgig need food badly!
badge
Click on Fizzgig to feed him a tasty snack. Nom, Nom, Nom!
mbmbmbmbmb
Hard Plastic Card Case - The thicker clear kind where the tops lift entirely off.

I knew a guy who would cut a slot inside the cardboard insert if the box was deep enough and the insert high enough, while also having the extra room. This method can be seen already built into the Cave Troll Silver Line box.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott M.
United States
Winter Springs
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ejtracer wrote:
Hard Plastic Card Case - The thicker clear kind where the tops lift entirely off.

This +1... All my games use the Hard cases...Keeps the cards pristine and safe from Scrunching and drops.

The card cases also can hold the small cards notorious in FFG games, they are exactly half size card cuts so you can put two stacks in a full size hard case or fill the box up with all the cards on their side.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Norman Hedden
United States
Greenville
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Buy Hugo's and you will never use anything else.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stijn
Belgium
Antwerpen
Vlaanderen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For me it depends on the value (perceived value) of the game.

My munchkin cards are held together by rubber bands. I can always get a new set when the old is ruined.

Dominion I use the insert and sleeves.

And I still need to get bondage tape someday.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Random Chance
United States
flag msg tools
mbmb
Every card is individually sleeved by hand and inspected for quality.
Groups of cards are placed in plastic craft bags and sealed.
Bunches of groups are placed in a large, cardboard tuck-box and closed.
Tuck boxes are placed inside a plastic storage container. The boxes are stacked no more than 3 high to comply with safety guidelines preventing injury or damage in case of bumps, jarring, or Earthquake.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
La Habra
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Deck boxes, just got 80 of them for $20 during T&T's free shipping sale

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Johnson
United States
Cottage Grove
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

7. With the tears of lost games past. cry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Timothy
Canada
Uxbridge
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I tend to lean towards the scientific and choose to use gravity and friction to hold my cards together.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Johnson
United States
Cottage Grove
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JeffTimothy wrote:
I tend to lean towards the scientific and choose to use gravity and friction to hold my cards together.

When you say "gravity and friction," I think you mean "God's loving embrace." This works too. Holds ALL my cards together.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Timothy
Canada
Uxbridge
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
ericbjohnson wrote:
JeffTimothy wrote:

When you say "gravity and friction," I think you mean "God's loving embrace." This works too. Holds ALL my cards together.

Actually, no. I mean gravity and friction.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♬♪♪ ♫ ♩ ♫♫♪ ♩♬♪ ♫
Australia
MURRUMBEENA
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
All reality is a game. Physics at its most fundamental, the very fabric of our universe, results directly from the interaction of certain fairly simple rules, and chance... (Iain Banks)
mbmbmbmbmb
Normandy wrote:
Buy Hugo's and you will never use anything else.

Until you discover "bondage" tape is exactly the same at a much lower price.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
“It's all in the mind.” ― George Harrison
badge
Devoted Follower of the Most Holy Church of the Evil Bob. Possessed and down the road to become chaotic, evil & naughty. All hail the Evil Bob and his Stargate.
mbmbmbmbmb
Ziplock bags.

They're cheap, hold your cards together and dont't leave traces on them. meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Quiter
Germany
Freiburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for ziplock. Easiest storage solution for cards, aside from a suitable insert.

-a lot, even infinite, for rubber bands. Nearly ruined some games with them. Not recommended.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dcooley wrote:
While I'm not sure if they qualify as separate from "rubber bands" (as these are almost always a bad idea as they age and break down), I know that several of my gaming friends use special rubber bands that don't have that problem. Sorry I can't give you more information.

Another good question to ask is whether people prefer to use a plastic insert (like with Dominion or Arkham Horror) that holds the cards if possible.

Finally, I'll note that I use a "custom" solution for the first five Dominion boxes that I bought from a guy online - basically some plastic dividers and custom labels. Getting all five sets in one box is pretty impressive, and it speeds up setup-teardown by quite a bit, although the box now weights about 20 lbs. So you might consider an answer of "custom solution" or "plastic dividers" as well, although this is clearly only for games that only have cards and perhaps a few other small components (like Dominion does).

Doug

doug,

can u post a link to an example of it, so i can get an idea what u r referring to?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ejtracer wrote:

I knew a guy who would cut a slot inside the cardboard insert if the box was deep enough and the insert high enough, while also having the extra room. This method can be seen already built into the Cave Troll Silver Line box.

can you please post a link to an example.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff G
United States
Franklin
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
abe18 wrote:
ejtracer wrote:

can you please post a link to an example.

I believe he's talking about something like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Ultra-Pro-150Ct-2-Piece-Plastic/dp/B00...

Use to use them a ton in my Magic days and I think I keep my copy of RftG in one now. They're great because they can stand up to a fair bit of punishment without breaking.

Personally, I use baggies unless I'm feeling especially creative and want to make a custom tuckbox. I've also hear people recommend hair elastics.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.