Ted B
United States
Ithaca
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Disclaimer: I only came to know chrisperry's work through this forum, and am not motivated to post this for any other reason besides the fact that I've played this as a curious party, deeply enjoyed it, and truly believe you should give it a shot too. I post this because as it stands, chrisperry's work has only 7 thumbs, and it makes me think that folks just aren't seeing it.

Lots of BGGers are doing great work in tricking out the Castle Ravenloft board game. The stock rules are super light, and fiddly/unclear in places, but many of us agree that they have their place as introductions to the D&D universe. However, most of the mods and variants arise when we want more from the game than what's provided out of the box:

-More roleplaying
-More character choice/development
-More gameplay choices
-More fair monster interaction / event cards

Again, so many modders have provided these mores in different ways. None, however, have provided them in my eyes as chrisperry's Castle Ravenloft Reversion has. There's just so much potential in all the components here.

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/679173/castle-ravenloft-reve...

You want more characters? Roll up ANY 4th edition character and progress it from levels 1-5. You want named room triggers? Got 'em. You want skill checks, a town to interact with, side quests, minions and regular monsters, and a wealth of new loot? All right here. You want varied gameplay, tactical choices? Look no further. You want atmosphere, and even some explicit roleplaying promts? Chrisperry's got 'em.

Seriously, browse the files he's uploaded. It should be immediately apparent that there's a lot of heart and soul in his work, and if you're looking to make the most of your Ravenloft set, you owe it to yourself to give this one a shot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Volker Hirscher
Germany
Oftersheim
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I rather think that the (relatively) low repsonse is because not everyone has the 4th edition rulebook, which is needed for the variant...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted B
United States
Ithaca
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Point well taken. I actually played without the 4e rulebook, and relied on web resources:

http://www.pathguy.com/cg4.htm

-An excellent, very comprehensive character generation tool.

http://flip-edesign.com/DungeonsAndDragons/powers.php?power=...'s%20Reversal

-A database of player powers. Won't win any site design awards, but everything seems to be here.

My friend and I have some roleplaying experience, but we went to google with specific questions as they arose. A little bumpy at first, but certainly do-able. If your interest is piqued and you don't have the 4e rules, you definitely _can_ make chrisperry's mod happen through a little google work.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Stutzmeister
msg tools
Wow...this is really impressive. I'm definitely going to give this a shot. I don't have the rules compendium but may invest in it...only 13.57 at amazon. From what I've read of 4E I'm not a fan of it as a RPG but I think it could work very well as RPG/boardgame hybrid. What I like about this variant is that it feels like a complete campaign and with a more immerse/detailed world, much more so than what is included in the WOTC version. Great work!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Stutzmeister
msg tools
Any plans to create variants for Wrath of Ashardalon?
Also this could be done with other classic D&D adventure modules- Tomb of Horrors, Temple of Elemental Evil, Against the Giants. Of course you would need new minis but if you happen to have all three sets, I think it would be possible to use most of the monsters from them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Lanis
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmb
berkalberk wrote:
This fan variant needs more hype. Much more hype.

No, it doesn't.

1. The beauty of Ravenloft is that it's manual is only 15 pages long, so your friends are not scared away when you pull out the game. This "fan variant" is so long it's guaranteed to destroy any interest your casual gaming friends have the instant you show it to them.

2. With more rules comes more rolls, more cards, more actions to take... causing game length to increase. Ravenloft as it is takes a whole evening to play - this module stretches it out way past any kind of manageable time slot.

3. You may as well just play 4th edition instead, if that's what you're craving: would save you a lot of effort rather than converting an entire game for what it wasn't meant to be used for. In fact, Ravenloft was created specifically to avoid all the things this "fan variant" tries to cram in! Don't believe me? Even the author of the "fan variant" calls his work a "reversion" (very first sentence, not kidding).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
thiago maia
Brazil
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
i think that for more roleplay. one think that is very good is do one audio for each encounter card. and when go to play use a sound sistem that can choose random music. the sistem will playd the enconter cards random when the characters drawn one encounter card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted B
United States
Ithaca
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No worries if you're married to the stock rules, Alex. As I mentioned in my original post, they're light and have their place.

I don't have clock times, but I didn't find the Reversion experience to take any longer than a stock Ravenloft game. It took 2-3 hours to complete a story quest.

The advantage to using the Reversion rules over 4th Ed ones is that you can play without a DM. It's an aspect of Ravenloft that was appealing to me.

The Reversion rules are streamlined and provide plenty of depth for those willing to take the plunge. I wholeheartedly promote them, and will continue to do so.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Day
Wales
Llandrindod Wells
Powys
flag msg tools
mb
I concur with Ted B

Many, including myself, feel the original game to have great components and promise but shallow, repetitive gameplay.

The "Reversion" certainly fixes things for me - it gives me what I want...

a solo (or co-op) dungeon crawler with good tactical combat, decisions and campaign play without the need for a DM and using all the components that came in the box.

I admire all the work Chris has invested in this work

A winner all round - those who want more in depth play can go for it and those satisfied with the original have no need for it.

Isn't this the sort of thing that the Geek is all about?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Bentes
Canada
mississauga
ontario
flag msg tools
alexlanis wrote:
berkalberk wrote:
This fan variant needs more hype. Much more hype.

No, it doesn't.

1. The beauty of Ravenloft is that it's manual is only 15 pages long, so your friends are not scared away when you pull out the game. This "fan variant" is so long it's guaranteed to destroy any interest your casual gaming friends have the instant you show it to them.

2. With more rules comes more rolls, more cards, more actions to take... causing game length to increase. Ravenloft as it is takes a whole evening to play - this module stretches it out way past any kind of manageable time slot.

3. You may as well just play 4th edition instead, if that's what you're craving: would save you a lot of effort rather than converting an entire game for what it wasn't meant to be used for. In fact, Ravenloft was created specifically to avoid all the things this "fan variant" tries to cram in! Don't believe me? Even the author of the "fan variant" calls his work a "reversion" (very first sentence, not kidding).

true and point taken. However there is no need for a DM in this one. It kinda feels like what Decent Boardgame could have been if there was no GM. I like this variant because

It has no DM preplanning.
Drips with theme
You don't neeed to buy miniatures or tiles
Uses the Gsme Ai very well.

I would have liked to have seen some cool graphics not that the graphics used won't do...they are good. For me I through in a chase deck from Paizo moded for 4e. Its fun to have to run around the village or forest or castle.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Bentes
Canada
mississauga
ontario
flag msg tools
thitan wrote:
i think that for more roleplay. one think that is very good is do one audio for each encounter card. and when go to play use a sound sistem that can choose random music. the sistem will playd the enconter cards random when the characters drawn one encounter card.

That would be amazing and similar to the old nightmare boardgame.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doctor Bellows
msg tools
I have made a simple web-page for my reversion. This will make it easier for me to update the files as well as for others to download them.

www.dndboardgame.com

I also plan on posting my progress on future reversions on this site.

Thanks for all the support and interest in this project!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Bentes
Canada
mississauga
ontario
flag msg tools
chrisperry wrote:
I have made a simple web-page for my reversion. This will make it easier for me to update the files as well as for others to download them.

www.dndboardgame.com

I also plan on posting my progress on future reversions on this site.

Thanks for all the support and interest in this project!

Thats great and worth checking out.

I have redone the cards backs of your card files, just to make them look more intune with the game. Your welcome to them if you want. I will send you the file.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.