7 Posts

The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game» Forums » Rules

Subject: attacking and defending rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
oliver jones
msg tools

Hi

this has probably been brought up but. in the attacking phase i was wondering why the creatures get to attack and defend and dont have to exhaust. but the heroes have to exhaust to attack or defend. it seems odd to have one rule for heroes and one for the villans.

Especially when u have Creatures/monsters that have 6 attack and have six defend. the only way you are going to beat them is to ganag up on them over a few turns as they can attack and defend with out exhausting.

I know there are engaged but its not quite the same thing. is it.

Cheers OGunner
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dmitry Vensko
Belarus
Minsk
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
it's correct, usually you have to spend some characters for defending, leaving someone for attacking

it's not mandatory though, as there are ways to ready spent characters, for example Boromir and Brand can do that
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
lizard
Netherlands
Utrecht
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You mention a difference of rules, but did you note that your heroes and allies are played by a human, who can make smart choices for them, and that the actions of the enemies are performed by a simple script. Nobody is going to make smart choices for the enemies, that is the big difference in the situation that explains the difference in rules. They don't exhaust because what they do is programmed by the game's rules and there are no choices to be made to get the most out of their powers.

Don't you think it is unfair that your enemies have to gang up against you FOR AN ENTIRE GAME just to destroy some of your allies and hopefully a hero.

Be glad you're not on their side...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Saloff
United States
Edinboro
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
This is a rebellion, isn't it? I rebel.
badge
He's a card player, gambler, scoundrel. You'd like him.
mbmbmbmbmb
It's mostly to help the game not get too complicated, I think. For example, if enemy monsters could only attack OR defend there'd have to be a rules system to figure out which ones did what each turn. This would bog down the combat phase, thus making turns longer and thus the entire game longer and more tedious.

It also helps keep the game more challenging and keeps the players thinking, and even outs the fact that up to four players get to work together and use many player cards (many of which are quite strong) against the encounter deck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
oliver jones
msg tools

What about bringing in the rule for solo play?

when a monster attacks he cannot defend and the opposite. at least then u might have some chance of knocking out the bigger monsters in the game.

Ogunner

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
lizard
Netherlands
Utrecht
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ogunner wrote:

What about bringing in the rule for solo play?

What do you mean?

Ogunner wrote:
when a monster attacks he cannot defend and the opposite. at least then u might have some chance of knocking out the bigger monsters in the game.

Ogunner

I think I don't see your point. You already have a chance to knock out the bigger monsters of the game. Play with Gimli, for example.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Saloff
United States
Edinboro
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
This is a rebellion, isn't it? I rebel.
badge
He's a card player, gambler, scoundrel. You'd like him.
mbmbmbmbmb
Ogunner wrote:

Every engaged enemy attacks every combat phase, so basically, your variant would be playing with the enemies never having a defense, except when you play cards like Feint or Forest Snare or something.

That seems like it would kill the game, at least for me.

Like radicalizard said, there are plenty of ways to knock out the bigger monsters that you'll learn as you play more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.