Figo 3434
msg tools
The Eaves of Mirkwood reads: "While The Eaves of Mirkwood is the active location, encounter card effects cannot be canceled."

What exactly are "encounter card effects"? E.g., can I play "Radagast's cunning" to cancel the 6 thread of "Hunters from Mordor" (because of two clue cards in play) while Eaves of Mirkwood is active?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Steinbach
United States
Forest Grove
Oregon
flag msg tools
Yes. Radagast's Cunning prevents an enemy from counting its threat. Threat is not a card effect (i.e. not something in the text box that somehow affects gameplay). Furthermore, Radagast's Cunning does not "cancel" anything; instead, it just removes a single enemy's threat value from the total in the staging area.

Eaves of Mirkwood mostly affects two cards: A Test of Will and Eleanor. Both explicitly cancel "when revealed" effects, so neither could be used while Eaves of Mirkwood is active.

Also keep in mind that the game treats shadow cards differently than it does encounter cards revealed from the top of the encounter deck. Based on the ruling from Nate French over at the FFG forums, shadow card effects are not encounter card effects, and vice-versa. So, you will still be able to cancel shadow effects (with cards like Hasty Stroke) while Eaves of Mirkwood is active.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Figo 3434
msg tools
Starhawk77 wrote:
Threat is not a card effect (i.e. not something in the text box that somehow affects gameplay).

But that's my question here: The "plus 2 threat and attack for every clue in play"-part IS in the text box of "Hunters from Mordor", so does that make any difference?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
orange cox
msg tools
mb
Yes, it changes the amount of threat you are ignoring when you play Radagasts cunning.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Figo 3434
msg tools
You mean, by playing Radagasts cunning you ignore the 2 thread that they have initially, but can't ignore the +4 because it is printed in the text box?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
orange cox
msg tools
mb
Figo3434 wrote:
You mean, by playing Radagasts cunning you ignore the 2 thread that they have initially, but can't ignore the +4 because it is printed in the text box?

Nope. The card effect of adding +4 (in your example) threat to that enemy still takes place. Radagasts cunning prevents the enemy from contributing its threat no matter how high it is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
No No No Sheep
Russia
St Petersburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Figo3434 wrote:

this is what i interpret... iragadhast cunning wipe out all hreat on all encounter card threat, except the threat count from hunter of mordor.

i dunno if im right though. it seem the rightway, since hunter of mordor encounter text shouldnt be cancelled just like that

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.