Popular Tags: [View All]
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So a bit of browsing of the rules forums here will quickly confuse one. There appears to be one primary change between these two rule sets that can have a drastic implication on how the game plays. The difference lies in this question:

When is a control flag placed on a captured city?

In the 3.0 rules that came in the box, we have:

"A player captures a box by having at least one piece there at the end of either player's part of the game turn (not just the end of a march)."

The "living rules", (not sure how alive actually, but I digress), have this in section 8.0:

"Procedure and Timing: A player ‘captures’ (‘owns’ and /or ‘controls’) a box by having at least one unit there at the end of his friendly Combat Segment.
Just ‘passing through’ or residing in a box at the end of a particular March during your Movement Segment does not change control of that box to ‘friendly.’ Control of boxes only changes at the end of a player’s Combat Segment."

This is a huge difference.

If the latter, I as the CSA can raid into Union territory, get a flag in a Confederate recruiting city, and then instantly recruit there in the recruiting segment.

If using the 3.0 rules as written, I have to wait a turn before I can recruit in that city.

So, what are your thoughts on this. I should probably go back through version's 1 and 2's rules to see how they handled this. Does the instant recruit issue seem a bit problematic?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος/ οὐλομένην, ἣ μυρί᾽ Ἀχαιοῖς ἄλγε᾽ ἔθηκε,/...
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm of the view "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" and think the rules as written work well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Emrich
United States
Irvine
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
You're supposed to be able to recruit at that city on the turn you capture/recapture it.

Alan Emrich
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Tuijp
Netherlands
Volendam
Noord-Holland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Windopaene wrote:
Just ‘passing through’ or residing in a box at the end of a particular March during your Movement Segment does not change control of that box to ‘friendly.’ Control of boxes only changes at the end of a player’s Combat Segment."

I always interpreted this as a "not blitzing" rule: you can't capture a city with one march and then use another march to capture yet another city with the same unit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jan Tuijp wrote:

Windopaene wrote:

I always interpreted this as a "not blitzing" rule: you can't capture a city with one march and then use another march to capture yet another city with the same unit.

Well, there certainly are many wargames where simply moving through an objective hex will "capture" it for your side, without your leaving a garrison there. So that's what I always understood this to be about. To gain control, you need a CU there at the end of your turn, (from a CDG perspective).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Alan Emrich wrote:
You're supposed to be able to recruit at that city on the turn you capture/recapture it.

Alan Emrich

Your having it there in your living rules would suggest that would be your response Alan. laugh

But, you must agree the Phalanx/Mayfair/whomever else got in on it/ 3.0 rules are pretty specific no? And I think one of the documents you host on your site talks about it, and again, looks like then it was at the end of your turn, not combat segment, in 2nd edition. Maybe that was a post on CSW, not sure where I saw that, or even if I did.

And would you not also agree this drmatically makes CSA cavalry raids a much bigger potential threat? Like, huge.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Alan Emrich wrote:

Alan Emrich

Well, you've said quite the opposite in several posts on Consimworld:

http://talk.consimworld.com/WebX?14@294.h2o2cssI6DS.462@.ee6...

slight change in your opinion here though you were combining two questions sort of:
http://talk.consimworld.com/WebX?14@294.h2o2cssI6DS.476@.ee6...

But most clearly here:
http://talk.consimworld.com/WebX?14@294.u4LZc3Y16cD.6@.ee6d0...

But, I think I may be able to see why you might not see this as a big issue.

If you were playing with all the rules, specifically the supply rules, then jumping behind enemy lines and capturing a recruiting city, and then immediately recruiting there, won't accomplish much, as those units would likely be out of supply, and then have to disband one of them, If you aren't using the supply rules, then it's a huge change.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Tuijp
Netherlands
Volendam
Noord-Holland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Windopaene wrote:
Alan Emrich wrote:

Alan Emrich

Well, you've said quite the opposite in several posts on Consimworld:

http://talk.consimworld.com/WebX?14@294.h2o2cssI6DS.462@.ee6...

slight change in your opinion here though you were combining two questions sort of:
http://talk.consimworld.com/WebX?14@294.h2o2cssI6DS.476@.ee6...

But most clearly here:
http://talk.consimworld.com/WebX?14@294.u4LZc3Y16cD.6@.ee6d0...

Hm. I don't see it. Could you be more specific (quote)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Alan's responses in bold

Third link:
" If an unit moves in a non-controlled box, can another units during the same movement phase cross this box by railroad ?

No; it does not formally change ownership until the END of your turn (I.e., AFTER movement).

Rule 9.0 says about capturing cities that a player captures a box at the end of his turn but I don't know if it is applicable to every box and for movement...

It is.

Alan Emrich"

1sr link:

" 2. to gain control of a box does an inf unit have to remain in that box for the whole turn?

No, it just has to be there at the end of either player's turn."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt
United States
Apex
CT
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Confederates having the ability to insta-recruit militia in a newly captured city seems to complicate things somewhat for the Union. Anybody have issues with this, from a playability or historical perspective?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I will stand by my earlier comments. If you playing with the supply rules, this will be less onerous, as a lone cab lurching about in the rear won't be able to establish supply, and the newly recruited unit will die.

Without them, it's a huge deal. Thematically, I could see the capture of a recruiting city, even by a cav brigade, might inspire local supporters to immediately volunteer. Can't speak to historicity.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.