Popular Tags: [View All]
Jonathan Powell
Ukraine
Berdyansk
flag msg tools
badge
I'm in my prime.
mb
If Visionary plays Wrest the Mind against Omitron's Electro-Pulse Explosive, what happens?

Omitron's Electro-Pulse Explosive is set to 14 hp damage to our 4 heroes. Can I use the Wrest the Mind card to redirect that damage to Omitron 4 times?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Kayati
United States
Worthington
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's the way I've played it.

I don't have the cards handy, but as I recall each time the damage is redirected, Visionary and the source of the damage take damage from Wrest the Mind. So, each time Wrest the Mind is used, Visionary takes a hit and Electro-Pulse Explosive take damage, which lowers the damage it that would be dealt my Wrest the Mind.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Powell
Ukraine
Berdyansk
flag msg tools
badge
I'm in my prime.
mb
jkayati wrote:

I don't have the cards handy, but as I recall each time the damage is redirected, Visionary and the source of the damage take damage from Wrest the Mind. So, each time Wrest the Mind is used, Visionary takes a hit and Electro-Pulse Explosive take damage, which lowers the damage it that would be dealt my Wrest the Mind.

Ah, I played it 4 times doing the max damage, instead of decreasing it each time. I think you might be right. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benj Davis
Australia
Summer Hill
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Further noteworthy: Wrest the Mind has been errata'd and no longer works on Villains.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Powell
Ukraine
Berdyansk
flag msg tools
badge
I'm in my prime.
mb
Jlerpy wrote:
Further noteworthy: Wrest the Mind has been errata'd and no longer works on Villains.

The card says "Play this card next to a target other than a Hero or Villian character card. Whenever that target deals damage, you may redirect that damage to another target. . ."

So I can't play Wrest the Mind on Omnitron, but I can play it on the Electro-Pulse Explosive and redirect that damage onto Omnitron. Correct?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Imp Rovius
United States
Fairport
New York
flag msg tools
mb
Yes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benj Davis
Australia
Summer Hill
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't recall if Electro-Pulse Explosive is a target or one of the cards which makes Omnitron deal damage. If the former, then yes. If the latter, then no.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Rodriguez
United States
Tomball
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jlerpy wrote:
I can't recall if Electro-Pulse Explosive is a target or one of the cards which makes Omnitron deal damage. If the former, then yes. If the latter, then no.

It's a target.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Graham
United States
College Station
Texas
flag msg tools
I am Broccoli, most intelligent vegetable!
badge
I will destroy you all!
mbmbmbmbmb
foxtrot2620 wrote:
Jlerpy wrote:

It's a target.

Right, but does the card say "Omnitron deals damage..." or Electro-Pulse Explosive deals damage"? If the card makes Omnitron deal damage, then it won't work.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Sharwarko
United States
Camp Hill
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The errata to the card Wrest of Mind states that the Villian Character card cannot be a target for it. The Electro-Pulse Explosive is not a character card therefore can be targeted by Wrest of Mind.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Graham
United States
College Station
Texas
flag msg tools
I am Broccoli, most intelligent vegetable!
badge
I will destroy you all!
mbmbmbmbmb
Zinger17011 wrote:
The errata to the card Wrest of Mind states that the Villian Character card cannot be a target for it. The Electro-Pulse Explosive is not a character card therefore can be targeted by Wrest of Mind.

I wasn't arguing the ability to target the card, I was referring to it's effectiveness. As Ben pointed out, there are several cards that make Omnitron deal damage, rather than dealing damage themselves. I didn't have my cards in front of me, so I wasn't sure which kind of card Electro-Pulse Explosive is. I've now looked, and it says "this card" when referring to the damage dealt, so it totally works. Have a ball
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ingersoll
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ukraineboo wrote:
jkayati wrote:

Ah, I played it 4 times doing the max damage, instead of decreasing it each time. I think you might be right. Thanks!

Either situation could be possible, depending on how dealing damage to multiple targets simultaneously actually works...

Had this situation come up this week in a 5-player game. That would have almost instantly killed Omnitron if Visionary got to redirect a full blast five times...

EDIT: Ok, the FAQ says that they're basically individual events, so the redirection (and WtM damage) would happen between each. Good to know.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Imp Rovius
United States
Fairport
New York
flag msg tools
mb
Vyolynce wrote:
Either situation could be possible, depending on how dealing damage to multiple targets simultaneously actually works...

A good rule of thumb with this game is that there is no such thing as "simultaneous" damage. Each instance is always handled separately and in order.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.