Popular Tags: [View All]
Flying Arrow
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Does a game like this exist?

I really like Battlestations, or at least the idea of it. I've only played a few games and I've always been the GM. What I don't like about it...

* Too complex. It'd be fine if this were a regularly-played RPG, but it's too much to be just one more game in the game-rotation.
* Needs a GM. Goes hand-in-hand with the first point. Because it's so complex, it requires a GM who knows the rules.

Is there another game like Battlestations, but is a lighter version without a GM? By "like Battlestations", I mean a game that...

* Has characters that grow from game to game (so RPG-like, but perhaps far simpler than Battlestations character sheets)
* Has a definite story with defined winning conditions and defined player-options (so not a true RPG)
* Preferably with a story arc connecting games (campaign-mode)
* "GM-like" decisions between games to connect scenarios into a story arc would be fine.
* Plays in 1-3 hours (including setup) with no GM.
* Sci-fi preferred, but other themes welcome.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brook Gentlestream
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't played either game, but I think I saw in another thread that Space Alert had a campaign mode like what you are describing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Flying Arrow
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
lordrahvin wrote:
I haven't played either game, but I think I saw in another thread that Space Alert had a campaign mode like what you are describing.

I loved Space Alert, but I hadn't heard of campaign play. The games we played were all the same - survive the onslaught. Character advancement and a plot would be a pretty big change to what I experienced. I'll look for a link. If anyone else finds it, please post it.

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brook Gentlestream
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This was from GregF in another thread:
Space Alert's expansion technically fits your criteria. You have a character that gains experience, levels up, and gets new abilities, but it's only a minor part of the game

It may be that I misunderstood. Nevertheless, that thread may be useful to you. It can be found here: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/7078581#7078581
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brook Gentlestream
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I suppose you could play BattleTech, with both sides getting new forces and the previous victor carrying over his damaged mechs from the other battle but that's not an official way of playing. As I recall though, you do have pilot stats and there was optional experience rules so your pilots could get better if they survive. This leads to game balance issues, of course but that game was never all that balanced to begin with.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.