Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike NZ
New Zealand
LOTR
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What would be an alternative to this game, ww2 naval battles board game, solo, short playing time & way less rules!whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean McCormick
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a fabulous game, and despite the dense rulebook, it's not very hard to play. You should slog your way through the basic rules and give it a try. The game is well worth the investment of effort.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Escobedo
United States
Rockville
MD
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fleet Commander: Nimitz Should come out this year.

Jesse
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Fung
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Firstly, I don't think there's too many rules. Okay, when you add optional rules like radar (and shadows from islands) and spotlights, the game starts to become cumbersome. But the basic game is: create formations, give orders, find the enemy, hopefully sink him before he sinks you.

I think the problem will be solitaire and less rules. In order to create a credible solitaire opponent, many games have fairly elaborate solitaire opponents based off the situation on the map: Carrier, D-Day Omaha Beach. Then there's those which filter the solitaire opponents' actions through lots of tables to keep the player guessing: B-17, Patton's Best, RAF. Then there are some which are rather dumb but throw lots of enemies at you: Field Commander series, Leader series, Raid on St. Nazaire.

For WW2 South Pacific naval battles, the first is the most logical choice because the US and Japanese generally had parity in forces, but the Japanese were very canny night fighters.

The game is long though. I wonder if there's a way to abstract away from hexes but still maintain the maneuvering and range calculations essential to naval combat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean McCormick
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
LordJesse wrote:
Fleet Commander: Nimitz Should come out this year.

Jesse

Very different scale, I should think. But definitely simpler.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike NZ
New Zealand
LOTR
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
seanmac wrote:
This is a fabulous game, and despite the dense rulebook, it's not very hard to play. You should slog your way through the basic rules and give it a try. The game is well worth the investment of effort.

fusag wrote:
Firstly, I don't think there's too many rules. Okay, when you add optional rules like radar (and shadows from islands) and spotlights, the game starts to become cumbersome. But the basic game is: create formations, give orders, find the enemy, hopefully sink him before he sinks you.

I think the problem will be solitaire and less rules. In order to create a credible solitaire opponent, many games have fairly elaborate solitaire opponents based off the situation on the map: Carrier, D-Day Omaha Beach. Then there's those which filter the solitaire opponents' actions through lots of tables to keep the player guessing: B-17, Patton's Best, RAF. Then there are some which are rather dumb but throw lots of enemies at you: Field Commander series, Leader series, Raid on St. Nazaire.

For WW2 South Pacific naval battles, the first is the most logical choice because the US and Japanese generally had parity in forces, but the Japanese were very canny night fighters.

The game is long though. I wonder if there's a way to abstract away from hexes but still maintain the maneuvering and range calculations essential to naval combat.

Thanks for all the suggestions especially the 2 above...gonna give it another read thru...I love the subject & the look of the game/components so...I'm reading! Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judy Krauss
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
but I'm not the only one
badge
My hands are small, I know, but they're not yours, they are my own
mbmbmbmbmb
If you want to just play with the Basic rules for a while until you feel like reading the Standard rulebook, I posted several new Basic game scenarios that can be played solo or 2-player (and a 2-player Basic variant, if that interests you), here:

http://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/24002/tokyo_express_expans...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike NZ
New Zealand
LOTR
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jude wrote:
If you want to just play with the Basic rules for a while until you feel like reading the Standard rulebook, I posted several new Basic game scenarios that can be played solo or 2-player (and a 2-player Basic variant, if that interests you), here:

WOW yes many thanks! These will be great! Wonderful! cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sim Guy
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jude wrote:

Moves! That's where I saw this before. I was trying to find this variant years ago and couldn't remember where I'd seen it last. It was in one of my friends collection of Moves magazines.

And here it just pops up like the little gold nugget it is. TEx may get some more playing time this year.

Thanks Jude.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The play's the thing ...
Australia
Point Lonsdale
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
Going thirty-eight, Dan, chill the f*** out. Mow your damn lawn and sit the hell down.
mbmbmbmbmb
Jude wrote:

Thanks for this Jude, now I just have to pull my finger out and actually play it ...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Escobedo
United States
Rockville
MD
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Vassal module is your friend.

http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Tokyo_Express

Jesse
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judy Krauss
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
but I'm not the only one
badge
My hands are small, I know, but they're not yours, they are my own
mbmbmbmbmb
You're all welcome. Sorry about the columns not lining up properly (especially on the second page). I tried to fix it once, and I keep meaning to try again...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nigel Hodge
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
This would have made a great computer game (especially with the variant "into the slot from the duration " from the General magazine!).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Allton
United States
Lewis Center
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dont give up the ship too quickly on this game to all who are just trying it out. Just set up the basic scenario and run through it a couple of times...things will start to come together in no time. As to the original question, Nights of Fury Guadalcanal is a good game too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.