Popular Tags: [View All]
Robert R
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
I've played the game 6 times or so, and I think it's simply brilliant. One thing that I still haven't fully explored is the Deep Strike option. I haven't used it, and my opponents haven't felt compelled to either.

So I ask you fellow gamer, how/when do you use Deep Strike?

-Of course, if you are losing by points, trying to take the opponent's base seems logical. Then again, I don't know that while losing by points, I've ever been strong enough and had enough Deep striking units to even consider this as a feasible option. Often times the game has felt "deathspirally" in that regard.

-As your main strategy? I've considered going heavily into flyers, letting my opponent take the Frontier, then surprise them and take their base with Deep Strike (bc they haven't seen your units yet). Does that even work?

-As recon? So Deep Strike, then retreat on Rd 1?

-To score the battle cards bc you don't control the Frontier? That's not always guaranteed...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray Greenley
United States
Harleysville
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Greetings Commander
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't played the game too much yet, but I've wondered a bit about how effective Deep Strike would be. Sure it would be nice to score that surprise point. However, it seems hard to make a case for it. You have a choice to do a normal attack and bring all your mobile forces against all of his mobile force, or you can bring only your deep strike-only forces against his mobile forces AND his base defenses. That just doesn't seem like a great idea on the surface, even if you've built your forces to only have deep-strike.

Maybe if the game was even on points and the end was very near (so you knew you wouldn't have an opportunity to score for yourself after taking the frontier) then a deep strike surprise would be useful. But even then, if you just did a normal attack to take the frontier (and fight a more even battle), then when you win you still net a VP since the frontier is worth two VPs (assuming you can hold the frontier).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Engelstein
United States
Bridgewater
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
Pit Crew avaialble now! The Expanse coming in October!
badge
Ludology Host and Dice Tower Contributor
mbmbmbmbmb
In a two-player game it tends to be more situational. It becomes part of a main strategy in the 3 and 4-player free-for-all games, to try to grab a lot of points by knocking out a weak opponent. But it can be useful in a two-player game as well.

I'm loathe to go into more details - I think some of the fun is figuring things out during the course of playing.

But a few ideas -

If you build heavy anti-building units (like Terran Heavy Bombers or Kahoum Thunders) you can deep strike for the purpose of taking out support buildings, like Obelisks, Power Plants, Brains, or Tac Nukes, then skedaddle.

If your opponent is on the Frontier you can Deep Strike and Surprise a few times to grab the scoring card. Then you may be able to grab the Frontier for free if your opponent starts to get annoyed.

Geoff
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Lee
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
Andy, you Goonie!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
If you play as Kahoum and have an Obelisk (which makes units DS) as a starting card, deep strike becomes something you can do very quickly.

I too had played a handful of games with zero deep strikes every being played, until a few days ago when I played and did two in a row. Another huge appeal to deep strikes is that if the opponent has firm control of the frontier and is racking up VP's, if you do manage a successful DS attack in a 2-player game, you actually win the game and all their racked-up, banked VP's are for nought!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moisés Solé
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Each faction has a way of giving their forces Deep Strike (T: Dropship, K: Displacement, X: Tunnelling, C: Jump Jets). Some of these are better and some are worse, but it's a job of exploration.

I like the "keep your opponent honest" use Geoff mentioned.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Webster
United Kingdom
Leeds
Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Some nice points raised. A couple of others:

Playing as Colossus...
One of the upgrades (Jump Jets?) let's you deep strike with your whole army for a mere 2 power! They rarely see it coming.

Playing as Terrans...
A drop ship factory with 4 units (Total cost: 4 resources) let's you deep strike with 5 forces! You can even Tac Nuke on the way in as well! Boom!

Love this game. Love it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.