Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've only played three games so far, and only once has the Fellowship gotten close to being corrupted.

So what I'm wondering is, are corruptions pretty rare (in which case the Fellowship's movement seems to be a fairly strict timer telling you how long you've got to win a military victory as the Shadow), or are we just doing a bad job of putting the pressure on?

What are some of the top tips you have to get extra corruption on those filthy sneaky thieving hobbitses?

How many eyes do you usually put in the box versus how many dice you've got at the time? ie - you might put fewer early on and more once you recruit Saruman and the Witch King...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Einmal ist keinmal
United States
Andover
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
You'll Never Walk Alone
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not expert, but I'll share a couple of thoughts:

Early on, I typically focus more on mustering, but I always put at least one die (sometimes 2 or 3) in the Hunt box. This way, you still have one more die than the FP.

I rarely play the Special Hunt tile cards as combat, and make sure to get those tiles in play via the event. The Witch King helps with this if you play a Character card in the first round of battle (in which he participates), so you can potentially get these cards.

Don't forget that you can get a Hunt reroll for plopping down a Nazgul and moving an army into the region with the FSP figure. You can even place in regions ahead of the FSP, with the expectation that he will eventually be revealed there (but this is a gamble, and probably not your best use of Nazgul or armies).

Any time the FSP is revealed, be sure to play one of those nasty events on him. Don't wait!--unless you see that he has no more Character or WotW die results, and hence, no way to hide again.

Finally, you can focus your military efforts on Minas Tirith and Lorien. These are the most efficient (pathwise) places for the FSP to heal corruption--but not if the Shadow controls them!!! sauron

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dave
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
David,
My experience says corruption wins are indeed very rare--say less than 5% of games. For starters, you need about 26+ damage to actually do it becuase the FSP can just keep chewing through the 14 points of damage that the companions can provide. In addition, if you place lots of eyes in the hunt box, you still might not find them and/or the FP can just not move the FSP much.

As such, surprisingly, the best way to corrupt them is to just focus on the SP military and force the FP to move fast, separate off lots of companions in defense, and/or have less time to draw FSP helping event cards. I wouldn't put any eyes in the hunt box unless you think you're actually losing the military race (or you have to with 2nd ed rules) and just focus on conquering them and then see if corruption happens out of a desperate FP.

In addition, if you really want to corrupt them, you should play all of the SP C cards that can corrupt them (morgul wound/candles of corpses/Isidurs Bane/etc), get through all of the C deck by only drawing C cards and effectively using the Witch-kings ability to only draw C cards--alot of them (at least 8-10 during the game). Finally, don't let the FSP declare anywhere useful (Lorien or MT), and if you haven't rousted them from Rivendell, attack that too. This is still very hard to do because every action directed against the FSP is less actions for the military--giving the FP more time to make it to Mt. Doom.

my 2 cents anyways.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the replies thus far. It's only been a few games, but so far the Free People have been keeping the Fellowship together as much as possible and only splitting off 0-2 companions - so they do indeed have a lot of health to chew through.

I've been putting in nasty hunt tiles any time I draw them and taking a fair number of character events (but not all). I sometimes find time to park one Nazgul in the same region as the Fellowship but I can potentially step that up some. Revealed events can't be counted on I think, but you can usually get one sometime.

You may be right that putting more military pressure on them will encourage splitting off some companions to act as leaders, I'll have to try that tactic of ignoring the Fellowship as much as possible and see how that goes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
nico34fr nico34fr
France
flag msg tools
i think there is a viable hunt strategy
see my post there :
http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/743094/hunt-strategy

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, I'll take a look.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Rosen
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmm, interesting. I've been having the exact opposite problem. The majority of my games seem to end with the Fellowship getting to 12 corruption. I was thinking about posting the opposite of your question - how do I keep the Fellowship's corruption from getting out of control in almost every game? Splitting off fewer Companions seems obvious but I've only been splitting off 1-2. Also moving less quickly I suppose would make sense so avoid getting found in the hunt on 5's. Also obviously healing for a couple turns in Lorien or Dale can help. Anyway, it just seems as if corruption gets pretty high for me by the time I get to Mordor and advancing on the Mordor track is just killer (especially that special tile where the Shadow roles a d6 for corruption damage).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's what we've been doing on the Fellowship side:

1. Don't split off companions. Typically Gandalf gets killed and split. Strider becomes Aragorn *if* Gondor is still standing (it may not be) but doesn't get split until you can do that. Nobody else typically leaves voluntarily, although we did see Legolas leave in the last game.

2. Any cards which provide corruption blocking (Mithril Coat, etc...) or put favorable tiles in the Hunt pool are used for this purpose. Drawing a higher amount of Character cards instead of Strategy cards will help find these

3. General rule for movement is to move once with 3 eyes, twice with 2, and as far as you can with less than 2. We've seen Elven Rings used to hustle the Fellowship when the risk is low and they're close to Mordor.

4. Pace the entry into Mordor. You've got to be there at the start of your turn to do any good, otherwise you can wait until next turn. That is, don't take risks to get closer to Mordor if it's going to leave you one space outside anyway. It may be safer to move twice next turn than move once more this turn.

5. Threatening some lightly guarded VPs like Moria can draw away some attention/dice and buy Frodo some time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.