Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
14 Posts

The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game» Forums » General

Subject: Copies, Rules, and the Base Set rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Steven Mitchell
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
I don't know what you have to say, it makes no difference anyway: whatever it is, I'm against it!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Can't seem to find this listed anywhere, so I'll ask anew:

What are the rules for multiple copies of the same card in deck-building? And how amenable is the Core Product to these rules?

One of the biggest disappointments for me with the Cthulhu LCG was that the core product contained only one copy of every card, even though the rules allowed 3(?) copies per deck. I was quite perturbed that I would have to buy a full second core product if I wanted to include a second copy of Cthulhu in my deck. Heck, the same goes for even the most commonest card! So that one got shelved quite quickly, even though I found the design intriguing.

How does LotR LCG compare? If nothing else, I might want to know how many copies to order in my first purchase...
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Morris
Scotland
Harrogate
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
designer
Join the BGG Folding @Home Team !!
badge
This user had more :gg: than sense
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
patton1138 wrote:
Can't seem to find this listed anywhere, so I'll ask anew:

What are the rules for multiple copies of the same card in deck-building? And how amenable is the Core Product to these rules?

One of the biggest disappointments for me with the Cthulhu LCG was that the core product contained only one copy of every card, even though the rules allowed 3(?) copies per deck. I was quite perturbed that I would have to buy a full second core product if I wanted to include a second copy of Cthulhu in my deck. Heck, the same goes for even the most commonest card! So that one got shelved quite quickly, even though I found the design intriguing.

How does LotR LCG compare? If nothing else, I might want to know how many copies to order in my first purchase...


No more than 3 of any card in your deck.

The core set is not very amenable at all. There are either 1, 2 or 3 copies of each card in the core set. Most have 2. A few have 3 - mostly cards that are not especially good. A few have just 1 copy - nearly all cards you want 3 of.

I wonder why that could be.
9 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
lizard
Netherlands
Utrecht
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
In the core set there are cards that come with three copies, two copies and also some with just one copy. And yes, the best cards don't come with three copies. Except Gandalf, it comes with four.

The core game is definitely playable, but the deck building stays almost entirely out of scope until you add adventure packs/expansions. Another thing you should know is that the game is playable with one to four players. However, the core set only comes with two threat trackers while all four players need one.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Gianti
msg tools
mb
The base set has 4 Starter Decks with 4 different sets of cards that each play out a little differently. Each Starter deck is 30 cards (29 unique to that deck and one, very powerful "Gandalf" card.

The "normal" game deck rule says you need 50 cards for your customized deck. I played with just the 4 starter decks and combined them to 2 "normal" (aka Tournament) decks and find that the game is still hard and I really need some of the more rare cards that are NOT included in 3's in the Core box, so I just ordered a 2nd core box. So far the game missions are so hard that having 3 Gandalf cards in each custom deck is a must as far as I'm concerned.

On the other hand, the expansion packs advertise that their player cards come in 3's, they probably want us to know they aren't going to "force" us to buy multiple packs just to have 3 of the best cards in our hand, but I haven't gotten an expansion deck yet, would love to know if that is true...

But getting a 2nd core set isn't just for getting more of the "good" cards, I also like to make multiple decks and don't want to have to deconstruct them each time I have a differnt idea for a custom deck and then I plan to mix them in with the expansion packs to have a handful of custom decks to play with.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mb
After much debate, I picked up a 2nd copy of the base game. I did this mostly for three things:

1) Get the 3rd and 4th set of threat trackers so I could go to 4 players.
2) Finish out the set of 2-copy cards so I had 3 of each, and double up the 1-copy cards.
3) Since I sleeve my cards, I am just going to print off the last of the 1-copy cards that I need (13 in total) and slip them into the "extra" cards that a 2nd set offers.

As a bonus, looks like I can keep an extra quest set of Mirkwood as an Intro game separate from my other encounter decks.

Seemed decent since I could get it slightly used for $15.

I see no need to get a 3rd set just for those 13 cards. All of the expansions come with 3 of each card that is needed for the player's deck.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
lizard
Netherlands
Utrecht
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
ColtsFan76 wrote:
After much debate, I picked up a 2nd copy of the base game. I did this mostly for three things:

1) Get the 3rd and 4th set of threat trackers so I could go to 4 players.
2) Finish out the set of 2-copy cards so I had 3 of each, and double up the 1-copy cards.
3) Since I sleeve my cards, I am just going to print off the last of the 1-copy cards that I need (13 in total) and slip them into the "extra" cards that a 2nd set offers.

As a bonus, looks like I can keep an extra quest set of Mirkwood as an Intro game separate from my other encounter decks.

Seemed decent since I could get it slightly used for $15.

I see no need to get a 3rd set just for those 13 cards. All of the expansions come with 3 of each card that is needed for the player's deck.


Good call! I think the ability to always have two (or maybe three?) scenarios ready to play is also significant. I don't own a second core set though... can't afford it unless I find it cheap somewhere. But here in Slovenia that ain't gonna happen.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United States
Champaign
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmb
patton1138 wrote:
How does LotR LCG compare? If nothing else, I might want to know how many copies to order in my first purchase...


Card Game DB lists the quantity of each card in all sets:
http://www.cardgamedb.com/index.php/lotr/lord-of-the-rings-c...

That there are one-of cards in the Core Set doesn't bother me, but the inconsistency in quantities between the Core Set and the expansions does.

It makes thematic sense for there to be fewer quantities of certain cards. Unexpected Courage, for example, is "unexpected"; it seems right that there should be only one copy. The same can be said of Faramir at two copies; he's unique and shouldn't show up as often as non-uniques. Gandalf is a bit of an exception, in this case, because of his constant presence in the source material.

However, all of the expansions include three copies of every player card. Even uniques, such as Haldir and Radagast, and powerful cards which would likely have less copies if they were in the Core Set, such as Infighting.

The solution, of course, is to buy three copies of the Core Set and follow the official "three-of" deck-building rule. But I'd much prefer it if the expansions had kept with the "thematic rarity" of the Core Set, and instead had a wider variety of player cards at differing quantities. Of course, I'm a casual player and don't expect to ever play the game in a tournament setting.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
lizard
Netherlands
Utrecht
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
binaryeye wrote:
Of course, I'm a casual player and don't expect to ever play the game in a tournament setting.


Is there somebody who still does?

3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mb
radicalizard wrote:
Good call! I think the ability to always have two (or maybe three?) scenarios ready to play is also significant. I don't own a second core set though... can't afford it unless I find it cheap somewhere. But here in Slovenia that ain't gonna happen.

Just keep on eye out for those selling it. I also cut the price down including shipping because I didn't need the box or the rules. I was just buying the components. So even from that perspective, you might be able to get it outside Slovenia as shipping might be much better.

As far as having pre-built scenarios though, might be tough. Some of the main encounter decks are used too many times over. I just settled on Passage through Mirkwood since I seem to introduce my games to too many people but don't have as many repeat players. But you could build and keep Escape from Dol Guldur and Journey Along the Anduin permanently.

But one would have to be split up if you did Mirkwood or any of the expansions. There are nine quests through the Mirkwood cycle (not counting Khazad-dum). Dol Guldur Orcs are used 5 of those times; Sauron's Reach, Spiders of Mirkwood, and Wilderlands 4 times each; and
Journey Along the Anduin 3 times.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Bredfeldt
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
radicalizard wrote:
binaryeye wrote:
Of course, I'm a casual player and don't expect to ever play the game in a tournament setting.


Is there somebody who still does?



I was thinking about this the other day while I was playing with myself. By myself. Solitaire. It feels like it has been a while for the game to be out with no tournament rules.

There isn't even a clear way to sort out who gets which player gets a hero when two or more people all want Eowyn. To play her. Her hero card. We traditionally settle things the way our ancestors did, with a fist fight.

Anyway, I'd probably never play a big tournament, but I might hold one for friends and well-wishers. As above, however, I'm starting do doubt we'll ever see any.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Black Coyote
United States
Oklahoma City
OK
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you, by any chance, have a list of those 13 cards?
Thanks for all your help on these threads!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bart Rachemoss
United States
Silver City
New Mexico
flag msg tools
Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Here are the 13 player deck cards you only get one copy of in the core set:

Beorn
Beorn's Hospitality
Brok Ironfist
Celebrian's Stone
Dark Knowledge
Dwarven Tomb
Fortune or Fate
Grim Resolve
Henemarth Riversong
Horn of Gondor
Stand together
Swift Strike
Unexpected Courage
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Bredfeldt
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
I proxy them, myself. In the rare event that I play with someone else, he doesn't have a problem with it. If my friends ever do have an issue, I can get new friends. Or they can proxy the cards as well. Whichever.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mb
radicalizard wrote:
binaryeye wrote:
Of course, I'm a casual player and don't expect to ever play the game in a tournament setting.


Is there somebody who still does?


A LGS outside Chicago apparently does.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.