Popular Tags: [View All]
David Bernier
Canada
Quebec
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What will I need to play with the revised rules and point system?

Can I simply buy the Upgrade cards and print the revised rules from FFG web page?

I went to a shop this weekend (225km away from my home) and the dude think he can still get the original core set. I ordered him one and i'm waiting for a good or bad news hahah.

So what do you recommend for a starter kit except the obvious revised rules and upgrade cards?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Stahler Jr.
United States
Wheelock
Vermont
flag msg tools
Check out Truesight and other award-winning fiction at davidstahlerjr.com!
mbmbmbmbmb
You don't really need upgrade cards. You can download a pdf that has the revised point values for the older units directly from FFG along with the new rulebook.You don't even really need the revised rules if you're just playing with the Core Set. Go for it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thiago Aranha
Brazil
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Indeed, you don't need anything at all. If you want to use the new point system, just use the points provided in FFG's PDF. And if you want the revised rules, just read their PDF as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bernier
Canada
Quebec
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
But, but...If I really want the updated cards?!?!!?
Is it that a waste of money?

I think i'm gonna get them anyways just because I like having everything "the way it's meant to be...or supposed to be now".

Anything else I should get? New units?!!? hahah!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Palmer
Canada
Ayr
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rhezuss wrote:

I think i'm gonna get them anyways just because I like having everything "the way it's meant to be...or supposed to be now".

I bought the card upgrade pack and am glad I did, because:

a) I play with new people a lot and it's easier for them to put together an army with the proper points on the cards

b) It comes with a Loth card, adding a new possibility for the Axis army

c) Dust Tactics is fun because it looks awesome - I've spent a lot of time pimping up my game and don't want to ruin the aesthetic by having stickers on my cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bernier
Canada
Quebec
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Felkor wrote:
Rhezuss wrote:

a) I play with new people a lot and it's easier for them to put together an army with the proper points on the cards

c) Dust Tactics is fun because it looks awesome - I've spent a lot of time pimping up my game and don't want to ruin the aesthetic by having stickers on my cards.

My only "fear" (not really a fear) is that without accessories (more ammo crates, impassable terrain, buildings, tank traps) the game won't look that good with only tiles in the map instead of 3D elements. Won't look bad but not as good as it should...am I paranoid?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thiago Aranha
Brazil
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Donwload, print and assemble the 3D walls someone over here created for the game. Once you play with them, you'll never be able to go back.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Palmer
Canada
Ayr
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Take a look in the files section for the papercraft bunker walls. They are easy to print out and assemble, and make a *huge* difference. Your terrain will go from being boring and 2D to being awesome-looking and 3-D, with only a little work of cutting and gluing. This upgrades the game significantly with only the cost of a dozen or so sheets of paper and ink.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Palmer
Canada
Ayr
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ha - didn't type quite fast enough. :-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Buckingham
msg tools
mb
Hey there,

you can still get the original core set, but not from the publisher.

Search the web for this code FFGDT001 - this is the product ID. You'll find in a few out of the way spots but normally for 99us. + shipping.
If if you were charged 50 bucks for shipping it it would still be a good deal. (IMHO)

Good hunting!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K G
United States
albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
I wasn't born ! I sprang from the forhead of God , as he contemplated a particularly vile joke !
badge
I wasn't born , I was hatched in the deepest darkest part of the ocean , and raised by sharks !
mbmbmbmbmb
Rhezuss wrote:
Felkor wrote:
Rhezuss wrote:

My only "fear" (not really a fear) is that without accessories (more ammo crates, impassable terrain, buildings, tank traps) the game won't look that good with only tiles in the map instead of 3D elements. Won't look bad but not as good as it should...am I paranoid?

as far as how the game is "meant to be" well it should be remembered that DUST GAMES sends the rules and stats to FFG , who then alters them before they are published , so that point is reletive to what dust game you want to play .

as for the terrain , you could print off the paper obsticals , which look good , but are still only paper , and only present a limited amount of new terrain options , or you can make your own , like i do :

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/blog/545/classic-aegs-dust-is-w...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bernier
Canada
Quebec
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GrandInquisitorKris wrote:
Rhezuss wrote:
Felkor wrote:
Rhezuss wrote:

as far as how the game is "meant to be" well it should be remembered that DUST GAMES sends the rules and stats to FFG , who then alters them before they are published , so that point is reletive to what dust game you want to play .

as for the terrain , you could print off the paper obsticals , which look good , but are still only paper , and only present a limited amount of new terrain options , or you can make your own , like i do :

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/blog/545/classic-aegs-dust-is-w...

Woah thanks for the link, it look simply awesome! I might get into this instead of buying expensive scenery.

Wow thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K G
United States
albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
I wasn't born ! I sprang from the forhead of God , as he contemplated a particularly vile joke !
badge
I wasn't born , I was hatched in the deepest darkest part of the ocean , and raised by sharks !
mbmbmbmbmb
i believe that every miniatures game is only as great as the efforts of the players who put time and effort into it , but having some one start the ball rolling is always a help , game on !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"GAME OVER, MAN. GAME OVER!"
Denmark
Aarhus
Unwashed and somewhat slightly dazed...
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I put a little round sticker with the revised points cost on my cards, looks fine... I had thought about getting the cards pack,for aesthetic reasons, but in the end decided I´d rather use my money on something else.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bernier
Canada
Quebec
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As far as units goes, from what I gathered the Original Core Set has 2 medium walkers, 6 Armor2 squads and 2 heroes per faction (compared to the revised core set which has less units but more varied).

I plan to get the command squads for both sides (and maybe 1 light walker too) but would also like to have more resilient infantry units.

For the Axis i'm certainly getting the zombies and gorillas...but for the Allies...the Grim Reapers look nice so are the Red Devils...

What units would you recommend for more variety?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Palmer
Canada
Ayr
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rhezuss wrote:
As far as units goes, from what I gathered the Original Core Set has 2 medium walkers, 6 Armor2 squads and 2 heroes per faction (compared to the revised core set which has less units but more varied).

I plan to get the command squads for both sides (and maybe 1 light walker too) but would also like to have more resilient infantry units.

For the Axis i'm certainly getting the zombies and gorillas...but for the Allies...the Grim Reapers look nice so are the Red Devils...

Don't forget the special ops squads, which include artillery spotting squad and sniper squad. The sniper squads are very nice, and the low cost of the artillery spotting squad means you'll still be using them often even if you don't have/use an artillery walker.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K G
United States
albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rhezuss wrote:

actually the original has 4 medium walkers : 2 per side .

and only 2 heros : 1 per side .

since you are just getting into this , and plan to get 2 light walkers anyway , i would suggest getting the revised starter set as well .

its only $30 more , and would give you 2 of the better light walkers available ATM , as well as all the other units . if you cant afford both starters at once , i would suggest waiting on the light walkers , and saving until you can .

i say this because the allies have the tank busters , and they are by FAR the best unit of any type in the game . the best match to go after them that i have seen in numerous games are the axis heavy laser grenadiers that only come in the revised starter .

from there the command squads for each side .

i would wait on snipers or artillery observers , UNLESS you plan to abuse them by buying a but load to take advantage of the low "new points cost" to abuse the in game mechanics . if you are not planning on abusing the game , then wait to get them until you have an artillery walker to go with them , THEN get 2 of each for each side .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bernier
Canada
Quebec
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GrandInquisitorKris wrote:
Rhezuss wrote:

actually the original has 4 medium walkers : 2 per side .

and only 2 heros : 1 per side .

since you are just getting into this , and plan to get 2 light walkers anyway , i would suggest getting the revised starter set as well .

its only $30 more , and would give you 2 of the better light walkers available ATM , as well as all the other units . if you cant afford both starters at once , i would suggest waiting on the light walkers , and saving until you can .

i say this because the allies have the tank busters , and they are by FAR the best unit of any type in the game . the best match to go after them that i have seen in numerous games are the axis heavy laser grenadiers that only come in the revised starter .

from there the command squads for each side .

i would wait on snipers or artillery observers , UNLESS you plan to abuse them by buying a but load to take advantage of the low "new points cost" to abuse the in game mechanics . if you are not planning on abusing the game , then wait to get them until you have an artillery walker to go with them , THEN get 2 of each for each side .

Thats what I was thinking about...getting the Revised Core Set too.
My FLGS has it for 70CAD...might as well get it too, that and command squads.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bernier
Canada
Quebec
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, finally found a place (thanks to member Felkor) and ordered the original core set for 95CAD shipped.

While at it I ordered the upgrade cards, 1 Kommandotrupp and 1 The Boss!

Damn I can't wait to try this game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.