Darth Mallen
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rules say influence or scouting roll 'typically required' and forum comments seem to conflict. It seems too easy to just port in a certain zone to succeed (prove rumor to be true) and get glory point (esp. for merchants). One post stated 'at port' rumors should always require influence roll while I think another is saying you succeed simply by performing the port action (no scouting or influence roll)? Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
LotB 2002
Netherlands
Utrecht
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
typically you acquire a rumor buy succeeding a influence roll in the pub, after you paid 11 gold for the rum to loosen the tongues...

then you took the time to sail the high seas, heading for the port or seazone mentioned on the rumor.

being there most of the time you have to proof a rumor to be true by succeeding the mentioned roll.

So have a bottle of rum, the shoty answer is: no, being there is not enough, you have to succeed the roll mentioned in the rumor.arrrh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duke Drizzt
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I believe u always have to roll. Make sure u look at the icon on the card though cuz that will tell u what u should roll(although there are some that are misprinted). Also, it's a rumor. You're trying to prove it. To me it doesn't really make sense that u prove a rumor to be true just by showing up.

-Hey, rumor has it that the dread pirate roberts like to frequent the salty dog tavern in tortuga.
- ok i'll check it out.

*sails to tortuga*

- whaddya know, there he is! glory for me, yay!

see. lame
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
United States
Up Nort' Der
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
VAST: The...
badge
We must move forward, not backward, upward, not forward, and always twirling, twirling, twirling towards freedom!
mbmbmbmbmb
Generally speaking, if it shows the Influence icon (treasure chest) on the card you'll need to make an influence roll in the specified port. If it shows the Scouting icon (spyglass) it will require a scouting roll in the specified sea zone.

There may be a few exceptions (I can't recall offhand), but if a roll is not required it will indicate that fairly clearly on the card.

Also note that there are two or three cards in the rumor deck that were misprinted with the wrong icon. Look in the FAQ to see which ones, or you can just play them as-is (it really won't affect the game much either way).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henning Karlsson
Sweden
Ljungby
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The card says either "port action" or "scout action", meaning that's the type of action you must spend to try to complete the rumour. Then you must roll and suceed either influence or scout.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Romeo
Canada
Chicoutimi
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmb
The thing is it is not explicitely written on the card to perform the roll and sometimes it is.

At first I was not really sure what to do with those, but since there was a chest icon on it we submitted to the evidence that it needed an influence roll.

We play that every seazone rumors require a Research roll and port rumors an influence roll.

Also, like for a mission, you do the roll and if you fail the rumour (or mission) is simply discarded and dont receive anything and totally lost your time right?

Are we playing right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duke Drizzt
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
correct.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darth Mallen
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cool--so what I think I am hearing (and this makes sense to me) is that even though all cards might not specifically say 'make an influence or scouting roll', if the scope or chest(scouting or influence) icon is present--then this is insinuated.

Makes sense that while at sea it would be scout action spent + scout roll--while in port would be port action spent + influence roll.

The ghost ship rumor card seems to be the only one that does not have a chest or scope icon on it which explains the 'typically' wording in the rules. It actually requires a leadership roll.

Also--thank you for pointing out FAQ section that states some rumor cards have print errors: Indian Treasure, Marooned and The White Lady incorrectly have a chest icon on them, but are supposed to have a scope icon.

edited a typo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.