Random Chance
United States
flag msg tools
mbmb
I'm curious to learn from experienced gamers ... what are games where you may discover, too soon, that victory is out of reach to a point of losing enjoyment. It comes after a failed or overlooked strategy (or luck).

I add the caveat that resigning is not (officially) part of the game. Thus, I would take chess out of the mix where resigning is part of the culture and some say the game's outcome is determined after the third move.

Also interested in not just the mechanics but the timing as well. Should there be games that are lost within the first few minutes and there is over an hour to go?

Thanks for reading.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
EuroPeon
United States
flag msg tools
Games of Settlers of Catan can be "over" if other players initial placement of settlements ruin your positioning. Then it's just an exercise in dice rolling.

Sometimes, other players will screw you just because of their poor logic from other players. "Three's got rolled constantly last game so I'll place on the 3s." BUT YOU'RE NONSENSICALLY BLOCKING MY ROUTE TO THE 2:1 PORT! cry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ferejohn
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
badge
Pitying fools as hard as I can...
mbmbmbmbmb
EuroPeon wrote:
Games of Settlers of Catan can be "over" if other players initial placement of settlements ruin your positioning. Then it's just an exercise in dice rolling.

Sometimes, other players will screw you just because of their poor logic from other players. "Three's got rolled constantly last game so I'll place on the 3s." BUT YOU'RE NONSENSICALLY BLOCKING MY ROUTE TO THE 2:1 PORT! cry

I dunno, blocking someone's route to the 2:1 point isn't necessarily a bad idea...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Thomas
United States
North Kansas City
MO
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My one play of Diplomacy was "over" for me in about 30 minutes, with a loooonnnngg evening ahead until the game would finish.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GeekInsight
United States
Whittier
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RandomChance wrote:
Should there be games that are lost within the first few minutes and there is over an hour to go?

Should there be such games? No. A game like that essentially has player elimination. Only instead of being eliminated, you continue to take a turn for a game where victory is well out of reach.

I would even go so far as to say that it's a design flaw. But, who knows. Maybe some people like the idea of being able to knock an opponent out early so that they can create less competition for themselves and the remaining players. For those folks, maybe they like games like that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Rice
United States
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
EuroPeon wrote:

I seem to recall I did this (not intentionally, it just worked out that way) where I boxed off one other player, and then it basically became mathematically impossible for him to win. I felt bad about that, but he was a class act and played through the game all the same.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danger Mouse
msg tools
Kirk - I have recently (just before Christmas) played an online game of Diplomacy as Italy where I was completely dumped on by every one at the start.

I made myself a thorn, and ultimately my attackers got stabbed. I never got back to greater than 4 centers at any time in the game. By game-end I was down to just 2.

However, I managed to get myself included in a 3-way draw with the other two major powers by threatening to gift a solo to the other player if anyone stabbed.

You have got to play Diplomacy real mean. Never give up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.