Marc Lanctot
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Fellow Kingston-area Board Gamers,

The Great Canadian Board Game Blitz will be run at the Minotaur Games & Gifts, 165 Pricess Street on Saturday March 24th starting at 10am. The tournament is an all-day, multi-round, non-elimination tournament. The winner will receive a day pass to FanExpo 2012 to participate in the GCBGB Finals. Many thanks to Justine Scala from Minotaur who has offered to run the event.

So.. how does it work? Each round, players select which games they'd like to play in some order (randomly at first, and then by accumulated points). Everyone then plays their selected games simultaneously and earns a number of points based on the rank they achieved in the game. After a certain number of rounds, the player with the most tournament points is the winner.

Previous participants have told me that the GCBGB feels a lot like "organized open gaming". The games are played competitively, of course, but organizers (and most participants) are open to explaining games to newcomers and answering questions that arise throughout the games. Since it is a blitz, the games are often shorter Euro-style games like, e.g., Puerto Rico, Carcassonne, Ticket to Ride, Settlers of Catan, San Juan, Roll through the Ages, Saint Petersburg, Dominion, Power Grid, Tigris and Euphrates, etc.

One special note for this particular blitz. Minotaur is where the Blitz started in early April of 2009. Since Justine is entirely in charge of running it and choosing the games list, and it'll be our 3-year anniversary: I plan to play in it! Only my second blitz in three years. So, if you would like to beat the organizer and have it on record, this is your chance!

Details about the tournament format can be found on our web site; further details such as games list will be posted early March. Questions? Email us or post a follow-up to this thread.

If you would like to sign up, please email Justine or mark yourself as attending on the the Facebook event. The cost of the event is $10.

1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Hamel
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Marc,
how many people are registered so far ? Final hurdle to clear and it's a go for me :-)
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Lanctot
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb

http://www.facebook.com/events/187510718014385/

At the moment, 9 confirmed.. but I seriously doubt that it's an accurate representation of how many will be there (there are 15 maybes.. lol); they've gotten over 20 people each time Justine has run it there.

BTW you and Shawn should bring your wives! :-p That way they can witness results first-hand. And it'd be hilarious if you then lost big time.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daryl Andrews
Canada
Waterloo
ON
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Sadly can't go - Fantasy Baseball Draft. Maybe next year.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Hamel
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Me and Shawn are going to make it. ROAD Trip !!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Lanctot
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Anybody planning to go to this, or in the Kingston area.. there is a Kingston Game Exchange overlapping with the GCBGB. Here's some info from one of the owner of Minotaur.

Bring in and sell off your used games. Buy games brought in by others. Three days only! Consignment terms. You set the prices, Minotaur takes 10% commission, you get the other 90%. Please bring in a price list with the games submitted. Games may be brought in anytime between now and the end of the event, but will not be put out for sale until March 23rd. Any and all games and game accessories are welcome.

NB: This event overlaps and surrounds the Kingston Board Game Blitz. If you are only going to be in Kingston on March 24th, you are welcome to bring in your games for the day.

More details here: http://www.facebook.com/events/335780169806471/
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Lanctot
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Games list now available!

http://www.gcbgb.ca/GamesList-Minotaur-2012.pdf
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.