Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
15 Posts

Eminent Domain» Forums » General

Subject: is it possible to play with more than 4 players if you have two copies? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Evan Dunn
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
"...to excel above the common rate, in frivolous things, is nothing graceful in a man of quality and honor." - Michel de Montaigne
badge
Let's just play everything always.
mbmbmbmbmb
So, do you think it would be possible to do a 5 to 8 player game if you had two copies?

Could this work?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
rain
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You would need to adjust the stack sizes and decide how many stacks would need to be empty to finish the game.

But there's nothing mechanical that would prevent this. The real question is whether or not it would be any fun With most games, 8 players is painful since you have to wait so long between turns. But with ED, since you either draw or follow on each other person's turn, there might be some interesting choices to make throughout the game.

So the basic conclusion is: don't ask us! Try it out and let us know

Thanks,
The Community
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Etherton
Scotland
Edinburgh
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think five would work well enough, but if you go much higher it seems like dissenting would get crazy powerful.

(Last I heard, the expansion was going to include extra politics and role cards to support a fifth player, don't remember what other rule changes there were, if any)

-Dave
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raf B
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
etherton wrote:
I think five would work well enough, but if you go much higher it seems like dissenting would get crazy powerful.

Sound advice - I wonder if it might work with a house rule enforcing a between turns hand limit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Contig the fallen
United States
flag msg tools
Keen to the scent -- the hunt is my muse. A means to an end, this path that I choose
badge
Lost and aloof are the loves of my past -- Wake the White Wolf! Remembrance At Last (by Miracle of Sound)
mbmbmbmbmb
In other posts, we already mentioned additional dissension is one significant way the game changes with more players.

However with 8 players, playing with 2 games is not as ridiculous as it may initially sound, aside from tech cards like Dissension (and possibly Bureaucracy) being an issue. Being able to dissent 5-7 times (for 10 card hands) may be unusual, but keep in mind you still only get one role call yourself per round, so you'll have to follow at some point. Surveying will become more important as you are able to have enough fighters/colonies to settle one or two planets on your turn.

I might suggest making the initial deck bigger (in addition to modifying a few of the tech cards) so players won't have the same hand of 10 (or fewer) cards when they go to choose a role at the beginning of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg M
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Eight players with two full sets keeps the proportionate stack sizes the same. Increasing the starting hand size, then, would shorten the game.

Just something to be careful about.

EDIT: The same stack shrinkage would happen with one set, though, so on second thought this shouldn't be an issue.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Jaffee
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1rr1tated wrote:
Eight players with two full sets keeps the proportionate stack sizes the same. Increasing the starting hand size, then, would shorten the game.

Just something to be careful about.

EDIT: The same stack shrinkage would happen with one set, though, so on second thought this shouldn't be an issue.

for 2x the players you would not want fully 2x the cards in each stack. That would be way too many, I think.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ɹɹǝʞ uɐɥʇɐu
United States
Hillsboro
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think Seth has said that the next expansion will includes enough role cards to support up to five players.

So, the answer is "yes"!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Büttner-Zimmermann
Germany
München
Bavaria
flag msg tools
badge
Wiggle It!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
TheBosZ wrote:
I think Seth has said that the next expansion will includes enough role cards to support up to five players.

So, the answer is "yes"!

Hm... WHEN will we see the next expansion?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TED BUDZINSKI
United States
RIVER GROVE
Illinois
flag msg tools
Almecho wrote:
TheBosZ wrote:

So, the answer is "yes"!

Hm... WHEN will we see the next expansion?

Bueller.......................

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vanilla Chu
United States
Redlands
California
flag msg tools
My boyfriend and I have a large gaming group of usually 6 to 8 people together when we meet so when Eminent domain tickled that deck-building, role-selecting, space-themed pleasure spot in that part of their brain (admit it guys, you all have one), they naturally jumped at it. But because we like to all play one game together, we tend to get 2x copies of a game if its 4 players.

We've played many games of eminent domain with 8 people, and tried to emulate the strategic experience you would experience as 4 players using all pieces from the 2 sets (no cutting the piles short), while also lengthening the game because the 4-player single set version is "too short for grand strategy" and "I didn't get to mock the rest of you long enough."

What we've found to work best for 8 people is very simple. Make the blue trade influence worth 3 points (tradeable at anytime with blacks to maintain a steady supply) and play til all trade tokens are gone, all planets are settled extra rounds (face up with none in stock pile), or 2 card piles are gone (3 never comes close, usually trade or planets go first). If game ends by trade, all traded resources on the last round are simply kept to count as victory points. There are two start markers and we found a neat way to utilize both AND keep dissension from being too powerful (none of this 14 cards in hand shenanigans). Two people gain the start marker and sit opposite from each other. Everyone else sits in between the two players evenly on both sides. Game proceeds as normal except the two players opposite each other take their turns at the same time. You may choose to follow one or both roles or dissent, but dissension only gets you one card. Afterwards, the next two players would get to go. Play gets a little messy sometimes but it has a more dynamic feel to it cuz your turn comes up more often.

What we find is a radical shift in strategy between the 1-set and 2-set games. Planet flippers are under much greater demand to flip planets quickly while the traders need to have settled more planets early than a single-set game to keep up with the flippers.

We've played maybe 6 games so far with this rule set after much tweaking from other rejected rules. It's worked out the best so far but is still a work in progress.

They're working on a rule set to enable conquering of other people's planets right now.

Also 2-sets = EPIC 2-player games. I won the last one vs my boyfriend with 152 (trading) vs 146 (warfare). Games still come very close.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Jaffee
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Vanilla Mint wrote:
My boyfriend and I have a large gaming group of usually 6 to 8 people together when we meet so when Eminent domain tickled that deck-building, role-selecting, space-themed pleasure spot in that part of their brain (admit it guys, you all have one), they naturally jumped at it. But because we like to all play one game together, we tend to get 2x copies of a game if its 4 players.

We've played many games of eminent domain with 8 people, and tried to emulate the strategic experience you would experience as 4 players using all pieces from the 2 sets (no cutting the piles short), while also lengthening the game because the 4-player single set version is "too short for grand strategy" and "I didn't get to mock the rest of you long enough."

What we've found to work best for 8 people is very simple. Make the blue trade influence worth 3 points (tradeable at anytime with blacks to maintain a steady supply) and play til all trade tokens are gone, all planets are settled extra rounds (face up with none in stock pile), or 2 card piles are gone (3 never comes close, usually trade or planets go first). If game ends by trade, all traded resources on the last round are simply kept to count as victory points. There are two start markers and we found a neat way to utilize both AND keep dissension from being too powerful (none of this 14 cards in hand shenanigans). Two people gain the start marker and sit opposite from each other. Everyone else sits in between the two players evenly on both sides. Game proceeds as normal except the two players opposite each other take their turns at the same time. You may choose to follow one or both roles or dissent, but dissension only gets you one card. Afterwards, the next two players would get to go. Play gets a little messy sometimes but it has a more dynamic feel to it cuz your turn comes up more often.

What we find is a radical shift in strategy between the 1-set and 2-set games. Planet flippers are under much greater demand to flip planets quickly while the traders need to have settled more planets early than a single-set game to keep up with the flippers.

We've played maybe 6 games so far with this rule set after much tweaking from other rejected rules. It's worked out the best so far but is still a work in progress.

They're working on a rule set to enable conquering of other people's planets right now.

Also 2-sets = EPIC 2-player games. I won the last one vs my boyfriend with 152 (trading) vs 146 (warfare). Games still come very close.

Wow, this is AWESOME!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vanilla Chu
United States
Redlands
California
flag msg tools
A small change was made in the dual-set EPIC 4 or less players game. (NOT 5+, nothing was changed in 5+) Level 2 research cards now cost 7 and permanent techs (not the ones that go into your deck) takes up the 2 corresponding planets. Level 3 research cards now cost 10 and takes up the 3 corresponding planets. "Takes up" means that these planets can not be applied towards other research (though advanced and utopian planets with research symbols can still use their symbol). We signify supporting planets by stacking the planets diagonally with the research card on top (so symbols and production slots are still visible.

This change was made because:
1)Once we combined two sets, no one ever wanted to play with just a single set.
2)Double the planets meant that later on in the game, people were controlling 12+ planets each, which made planet requirements for research trivial. Once one level 3 tech was gone, the other 5 (2 sets) went very quickly to the same person because they would have multiple planets with research symbols and many many planets.
3)Double the planets meant more research symbols that were out in play on planets. This further made research trivial.
4)By taking up and increasing research costs, it made it harder for people to suddenly roflstomp their way through other players on their turn because they had all the really good research.

Also I forgot to mention in the original post that you can not have the same permanent research twice, tho you can have both sides at the same time (as two different cards).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Jaffee
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Vanilla Mint wrote:
A small change was made in the dual-set EPIC 4 or less players game. (NOT 5+, nothing was changed in 5+) Level 2 research cards now cost 7 and permanent techs (not the ones that go into your deck) takes up the 2 corresponding planets. Level 3 research cards now cost 10 and takes up the 3 corresponding planets. "Takes up" means that these planets can not be applied towards other research (though advanced and utopian planets with research symbols can still use their symbol). We signify supporting planets by stacking the planets diagonally with the research card on top (so symbols and production slots are still visible.

This change was made because:
1)Once we combined two sets, no one ever wanted to play with just a single set.
2)Double the planets meant that later on in the game, people were controlling 12+ planets each, which made planet requirements for research trivial. Once one level 3 tech was gone, the other 5 (2 sets) went very quickly to the same person because they would have multiple planets with research symbols and many many planets.
3)Double the planets meant more research symbols that were out in play on planets. This further made research trivial.
4)By taking up and increasing research costs, it made it harder for people to suddenly roflstomp their way through other players on their turn because they had all the really good research.

Also I forgot to mention in the original post that you can not have the same permanent research twice, tho you can have both sides at the same time (as two different cards).

This sounds like fun! I'd love to see a session report or something...

How long do your EPIC games take?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vanilla Chu
United States
Redlands
California
flag msg tools
A 6-player game can take 40-60 minutes. But its usually cuz we're too busy messing around. A focused 2-player game is 60-90 minutes. If someone trades aggressively, they can end the game faster because the VP chips are worth less than the combined VP value of all the planets. The stacks almost never expire. Sometimes one will go faster than others but rarely does a game end cuz stacks were depleted. We noticed that traders that aren't aggressive tend to get run over by aggressive warmongers or colonizers. If the game ends from planets, all those who went the trading route tend to be at the bottom.

Also check out our taking other planets rules in the variants section
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.