Popular Tags: [View All]
Ben
United States
Cuyahoga Falls
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was really excited to receive my Battlefoam today!

I am a first time customer, and I could not believe how cool this foam looked. I was immediately imagining my friends drooling over this new discovery. I was even contemplating what other games I could order foam for. I was a moment second only to receiving an actual new game.

So, how did it work out. Well, to answer this question effectively, I need to explain my before shot. Obviously a guy who would pay money for foam would probably also buy a plano for the tokens and sleeves for the cards. Indeed, I had. However my guys were just dumped into the large tray insert.

So, I quickly got to work to see if I could finish this review before dinner. The guys went into their spots easily, and I am even 50% sure I put them in the right slots.

But then I ran out of room. I tried rearranging things, but it was obvious that the large rectangular slot was meant for the cards. There was no way they would fit. My cards need sleeves. I will not sacrifice the protection of the cards to protect the plastic miniatures. That seemed silly to me. The cards are far more fragile. Then it dawned on me: This layout is not ideal!! A large slot could have been added to the thick piece of foam in exchange for the dice and spawning location, like so.

This would have made the product 10 times better in my opinion. Finally, one piece of foam was not quite thick enough, and it almost looks like a mistake. It is shorter than the thick piece of foam, and little heads and weapons stick out here and there:

Anyway, My miniatures now have nice homes, but I have two inches of cards, my game boards, and my plano box to carry around, now.

I do not think this was the wisest purchase. Is it incredibly cool, in theory: Yes.

However, it will not get me from here to my gaming site. I am disappointed. I do not recommend this product under the current design. Especially if you like to sleeve your cards (which I am assuming you do if you are even reading this review about foam inserts.) I think modifying the design to include the cards and adjusting the height of the small pieces of foam would have made the top foam insert unnecessary. Then, the cards, the game boards, and the directions would have fit in the box. That would have earned a rating from me.

However, as it is, I give this product

Thanks for reading. (By the way, this product was ordered December 11 and received January 9. I even paid to upgrade shipping. I might just buy a new game next time. )
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kai Teo
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
oh no!
i am also waiting for my battlefoam
but the D6G has said its one of the best things they got for SDE!
*sob*

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emil Vincent Alonzo
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
First off, thanks for the review as I know a lot of people including myself were wondering how well the foam turned out.

Its a shame because I really wanted a quick way to protect all the pieces and was hoping that the foam would work out, but hesitated when I saw everyone else's concerns and have since bought containers and kind of "self foamed" my set (I should take a pic to share it).

Again its too bad because I feel with a little bit of editing this foam would have been awesome to buy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben
United States
Cuyahoga Falls
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
duckizz wrote:
oh no!
i am also waiting for my battlefoam
but the D6G has said its one of the best things they got for SDE!
*sob*

No worries. It is so close to AWESOME! You might like it. I travel a lot to play my games though, and too much has to come out of the box. I may not even use mine. We'll see. If I paint the figures, it will become a "must have" even if I have to cary everything.

Peace.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben
United States
Cuyahoga Falls
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
roboraygun wrote:
First off, thanks for the review as I know a lot of people including myself were wondering how well the foam turned out.

Its a shame because I really wanted a quick way to protect all the pieces and was hoping that the foam would work out, but hesitated when I saw everyone else's concerns and have since bought containers and kind of "self foamed" my set (I should take a pic to share it).

Again its too bad because I feel with a little bit of editing this foam would have been awesome to buy.

I would like to see any other storage solutions...especially if it is easily transported.

Peace.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William McCarroll
United States
Bel Air
Maryland
flag msg tools
Check out my reviews at www.nerdbloggers.com
badge
Hi!
mbmbmbmbmb
This concerns me. I have one I have been waiting on for several weeks, and I thought that it fit all of the components in the box. Hearing that it doesn't is worrying :/. It was one of the reasons I went for the in-box solution.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Icey10 101
msg tools
I was looking for a solution also, and just planned on buying another KR Multicase box for this game. Battlefoam really doesn't seem to really make good use of the spaces at times. I was looking at buying one of their cases to use for Dust Tactics, but went with a couple of the KR cases and couldn't be happier.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Collins
United States
Seymour
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
@majmalfunction
mbmbmbmbmb
You have me wondering if I can/should cancel my order now. If you take the foam topper off, do the boards fit?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DANIEL HENDLOWITCH
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
http://us.battlefoam.com/products/Super-Dungeon-Explore-Foam...

if you look at the picture you are clearly meant to put the cards in the big open space you have the dice in for some reason. put the dice with the tokens and there you go.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Austin Boyle
United States
Indiana
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kingfishy wrote:

if you look at the picture you are clearly meant to put the cards in the big open space you have the dice in for some reason. put the dice with the tokens and there you go.

His cards are sleeved, check the OP.

This is my worry too, I wanted to sleeve them and will not give up protection of the cards when I haven't even painted the minis.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Austin Boyle
United States
Indiana
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Icey101 wrote:
I was looking for a solution also, and just planned on buying another KR Multicase box for this game. Battlefoam really doesn't seem to really make good use of the spaces at times. I was looking at buying one of their cases to use for Dust Tactics, but went with a couple of the KR cases and couldn't be happier.

Icey,
If you find time, I am sure many of us would like to see how yours looks. Thanks in advance.
Austin

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yoki Erdtman
Sweden
Södertälje
flag msg tools
badge
Handsome devil huh?
mbmbmbmbmb
bmarquette wrote:
I am disappointed. I do not recommend this product under the current design. Especially if you like to sleeve your cards (which I am assuming you do if you are even reading this review about foam inserts.)

Great review Ben. It seems like Battlefoam totally fumbled the ball, of course someone who wants to by custom cut foam for a game will also want to sleeve their playing cards, it just makes perfect sense.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Ong
Canada
Richmond
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
aussieb1987 wrote:
kingfishy wrote:

This is my worry too, I wanted to sleeve them and will not give up protection of the cards when I haven't even painted the minis.

The cards shown in the battlefoam pic were also sleeved. I guess it just doesn't work with all kinds of sleeves That's a pity..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Austin Boyle
United States
Indiana
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TheCandyMan wrote:
aussieb1987 wrote:
kingfishy wrote:

The cards shown in the battlefoam pic were also sleeved. I guess it just doesn't work with all kinds of sleeves That's a pity..

Interesting, I just assumed that was the original plastic wrap. I was also wondering if a hobby knife could cut it slightly larger.

Still sad to hear about the boards and dice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Standen
United Kingdom
Hove
East Sussex
flag msg tools
badge
Duke say "play games"
mbmbmbmbmb
I got some foam and cut it up myself, it doesn't look as nice as this, but it does fit everything in the box.

Would anyone be interested in pictures? (I took some as I went along).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Austin Boyle
United States
Indiana
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
phil_standen wrote:
I got some foam and cut it up myself, it doesn't look as nice as this, but it does fit everything in the box.

Definately
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben
United States
Cuyahoga Falls
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MajMalfunction10 wrote:
You have me wondering if I can/should cancel my order now. If you take the foam topper off, do the boards fit?

Keith,

The boards would fit without the topper. However, the little heads and weapons stick out slightly on the shorter foam side (look at the closeup of that picture) so I am insecure about laying the boards over them directly without the foam topper.

-----

In one picture, I purposely put the cards and dice in the "wrong" places to show how the layout could have worked better. The dice fit in the "correct" place easily. It is the sleeved cards and boards that bother me.

Things that need fixed:

1. A slot for sleeved cards in the thicker foam. (I used regular old dragon shields and I have an extra 2 inches of cards.)

2. Foam cut to the same height on both sides that protect the minis. Then the topper is unnecessary and the boards will fit.

Peace.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Standen
United Kingdom
Hove
East Sussex
flag msg tools
badge
Duke say "play games"
mbmbmbmbmb
aussieb1987 wrote:
phil_standen wrote:

Definately

Will post when I get home (and have worked out how to add pictures to BGG)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jenny Nguyen
Australia
Bungarribee
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmm, that's a bit disappointing. Battlefoam have always been on top of the whole storage/transport thing. I wished they'd made a carry case for the game instead of just foam inserts (like their Puppet Wars case). I think I'll just buy one of their generic cases with pluck foam and stitch together some felt badges.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Romeo Filip
United States
Gilbert
Arizona
flag msg tools
Hello guys,

Battle Foam here to help and answer questions. First off, we just want to thank people that have decided to purchase the foam kit for SDE.

Now off to some answers and more questions.

If you notice in the pictures of the SDE kit we have designed it to fit the cards with sleeves on them. If for some reason your kit does not fit with sleeves please email us at info@battlefoam.com with some pictures.

You should not be having trouble with the fit of any card sleeve. We tested it to fit some of the largest sizes from Ultra Pro and others.

On the questions about tokens and the extra books that come with the game we offer this suggestion. When we created this we understood that the box was always going to limit what we could create.

That is the toughest part of the board game foam business. The box comes from the game creator and adding foam has to be done in a way to still keep the box size. In some cases this means that items will be snug or require a person to carry the items in a bag or similar container.

In the case of the SDE we had no issues fitting the entire contents of the game and still closing the lid. Yes, the tokens just got placed in the box at the bottom of the foam but they did all fit.

If you notice from the pictures you will see that our lid completely closes and all items that came with the game went inside the foam.

Also, please keep in mind that sometimes the way a person places the models in the foam may cause you to have bits that stick out.

When we tested the foam and created the shapes we took that into account and made sure none of the pieces would touch the box lid or other trays. This could simply be user error but we are here to help.

Anyone having problems getting the minis in correctly can always call us or email to have our customer service girls discuss with you the correct way to set up the models.

The first few times you place things it is a bit of a puzzel. After that its a breeze.

Later today we will be putting up a video to help people understand the placement of the models and the fit overall. I think our issue was the fact that we did not provide anymore help than the pictures.

http://youtu.be/zKTL6scoqyI?hd=1

Again, thank you for choosing to order this cool foam kit. Please don't hesitate to fire questions on here so we can help you guys.

Thanks

Battle Foam

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Rivas
United States
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

These are called Chinese Jewelery bags. Silk bags with multiple zippers that roll up and tie shut. Very soft and one will fit into the box, and hold almost all pieces. I highly recommend them. (Hope this helps- tips are welcome LOL trying to raise gold for an avatar )
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Rivas
United States
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thanks for the tip who ever you are laugh!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Standen
United Kingdom
Hove
East Sussex
flag msg tools
badge
Duke say "play games"
mbmbmbmbmb
phil_standen wrote:
aussieb1987 wrote:
phil_standen wrote:

Definately

Will post when I get home (and have worked out how to add pictures to BGG)

I posted them in this thread with a bit of commentary.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben
United States
Cuyahoga Falls
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The response from Battlefoam (Thanks for caring) made me second guess myself. However, it is totally inaccurate. Here are more pics to expose the truth.

And again with pressure on top.

Not even close.

The fact is, the card slot should have gone in the thicker foam. Poor design. I don't want to fight with anyone, I just want to share the truth.
I bought a product on a whim, and I don't want anyone to make my mistake. This stuff is expensive. (Probably worth the price if the design is good, in all honesty!!)

If battle foam would redesign based on my suggestions, I would gladly offer a better review.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emil Vincent Alonzo
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bmarquette wrote:
The response from Battlefoam (Thanks for caring) made me second guess myself. However, it is totally inaccurate. Here are more pics to expose the truth.

And again with pressure on top.

Not even close.

The fact is, the card slot should have gone in the thicker foam. Poor design. I don't want to fight with anyone, I just want to share the truth.
I bought a product on a whim, and I don't want anyone to make my mistake. This stuff is expensive. (Probably worth the price if the design is good, in all honesty!!)

If battle foam would redesign based on my suggestions, I would gladly offer a better review.

Its nice at least that it sounds like they are trying to correct it which is why they were asking for photos of the misfitting areas so that they do (hopefully) do more investigation and possible fixes for the issues brought up.

Thanks again though for sharing your experiences with the product.

(Just curious too, what kind of sleeves did you use for your cards? I may help the company test for card fitting?).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.