Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bradley Hays
United States
Raymore
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was wondering if anyone has developed rules for the Sun/London map for the game of Steam. Yes, I know it was originally for Age of Steam but I don't yet have a copy and most of my friends know the game of Steam but not Age of Steam.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Both maps depend intimately on specific aspects of Age Of Steam, including both the tile mix and economic model, and will thus not work with Steam.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bradley Hays
United States
Raymore
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, JC, for the quick response. I have played the Sun with my Age of Steam group and enjoyed it. I can see why it might not work outside that rule set. Eventually I intend on picking up a copy of Age of Steam myself, just haven't yet. I look forward to trying London one of these days as well. That sounds like a challenging map.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mc Jarvis
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
I speak to improve upon the cacophony.
badge
This heart is meant to convince you that I feel.
mbmbmbmbmb
clearclaw wrote:
Both maps depend intimately on specific aspects of Age Of Steam, including both the tile mix and economic model, and will thus not work with Steam.

The tile mix issue might have been alleviated if you collect expansions. Both Steam Map Expansion packs came with more tiles, and Steam Barons came with yet more tiles.

I've got straights and curves coming out my ears. Of course, the concerns of the economic model are still an issue.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Both maps specifically rely on there not being enough tiles in the mix for many player-desired actions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mc Jarvis
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
I speak to improve upon the cacophony.
badge
This heart is meant to convince you that I feel.
mbmbmbmbmb
clearclaw wrote:
Both maps specifically rely on there not being enough tiles in the mix for many player-desired actions.

It's easy to use restricted tiles if that's a necessary modification to the Steam rules to make the map interesting. The economic engine is the far bigger issue, since at that point you're basically modding your Steam set to be an AoS set.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
McJarvis wrote:
clearclaw wrote:

It's easy to use restricted tiles if that's a necessary modification to the Steam rules to make the map interesting.

The maps depend on a specific number of straights, broads, sharps, town tiles etc, and Steam's double-sided track tiles would make tracking that a PITA.

Quote:
The economic engine is the far bigger issue, since at that point you're basically modding your Steam set to be an AoS set.

And both maps also extensively rewrite AoS' economic model.

My broad suggestion is that if you want to play Age of Steam, then play Age of Steam.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rance Leon
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
There is no file containing Steam rules for this expansion available. The other Bezier Age of Steam expansions have Steam rules available as a PDF file, and the first page of those PDF files is an announcement showing that Steam rules are available for all these pre-Steam expansions. That page always shows this game, Sun/London, in the very middle of the announcement, but then there is no Steam rule option for this game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Rance wrote:
There is no file containing Steam rules for this expansion available.

Correct.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Even more accurately, the adaptation would require far more work than it is worth. Both maps depend rather intimately on Age of Steam specifics, making Steam adaptations impractical.

Even more simply: If you want to play Age of Steam, then play Age of Steam. If you don't want to play Age of Steam, then play something else.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.