Hide
9 Posts

Pandemic» Forums » Rules

Subject: A question about an option card rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Cliff Allister McLane
msg tools
Do you know the card where I can trash a card in the discard pile?
Can I do this even if a epidemic card is drawn and has to be executed?
"Sorry, don´t shuffle the discard pile now, I have this option and trash Paris first!"
If you allow this, I would not play the option until an epidemic is drawn...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
YaVerOt YaVerOt
United States
Arvada
Colorado
flag msg tools
Armchair warriors often fail, and we've been poisoned by these fairy tales.
badge
Aoi Aoi toki ga toke dasheta.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm assuming you mean Resilient Population.

My understanding is that you can hold it until the epidemic shows up, and then play the RP first; but once you're resolving the epidemic (moving infection rate counter, drawing from the bottom of the deck) you have to finish resolving that before you can pay RP (which you'd then be trying to play on an empty pile, so that doesn't make much sense).

At my level of play, I tend to play RP to avoid discarding for hand size limit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Caracappa
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Once the Epidemic card is pulled, it is too late to play RP. It can be played between the drawing of the player cards, but once the epidemic is drawn, it must be resolved with no interruption. (ie: RP card)

If a city may potentially outbreak that is going to be a problem, play RP before drawing your 2 player cards, or just cross your fingers that an epidemic isn't forthcoming.

Striking my entire response from the record. See correction below.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
YaVerOt YaVerOt
United States
Arvada
Colorado
flag msg tools
Armchair warriors often fail, and we've been poisoned by these fairy tales.
badge
Aoi Aoi toki ga toke dasheta.
mbmbmbmbmb
JpC812 wrote:
It can be played between the drawing of the player cards

and since both cards are drawn simultaneously, then of course you may play RP before doing the Epidemic.

In the expansion forums there was just a timing question that resulted in a "you can do that between Infector card draws"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Caracappa
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JpC812 wrote:
Once the Epidemic card is pulled, it is too late to play RP. It can be played between the drawing of the player cards, but once the epidemic is drawn, it must be resolved with no interruption. (ie: RP card)

If a city may potentially outbreak that is going to be a problem, play RP before drawing your 2 player cards, or just cross your fingers that an epidemic isn't forthcoming.

I would like to amend my previous post. It appears that I interpreted the ruling completely wrong. Matt explains timing and such in the following post from this thread

mleacock wrote:
Hi folks

You can play the cards at any time, however, you can't play them between an event and the representation of the event on the board. Some scenarios may help explain this:

Scenario 1:
Player #1 has a Special Event card for "Resilient Population." During the draw, an Epidemic card is drawn. Since an Epidemic card was drawn, player #1 decides to play their Special Event card to remove a city from the infection discard pile before they are reshuffled. This is legal because the card was played before the cards were reshuffled.

Scenario 2:
A player may use the Forecast card to rearrange the cards on the top of the infection deck before they're drawn -- but once a card is drawn, the player can't rearrange the cards.

Scenario 3:
The Red disease has been cured. A player draws the Taipei card which results in the 8th outbreak. Since no time elapses between the drawing of the Taipei card (resulting in the infection) and the placing of the cubes (representing the infection), the players lose the game. It's not OK to Airlift the medic over to Taipei to cure because the cubes have already been added and the game has already been lost.

Hope this helps.

- Matt

So the Resilient Population card can be played immediately following the draw of the Epidemic card, but not once you start resolving said epidemic.

Sorry for confusing things
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Rose
United States
Des Moines
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
So the Resilient Population card can be played immediately following the draw of the Epidemic card, but not once you start resolving said epidemic.

I disagree with this, primarily because the Epidemic card has, essentially, three different "events" occurring on it. The infection rate goes up (event 1), a card is drawn from the bottom of the infection pile causing 3 cubes to go out on the board in a city (event 2), and then the discards are reshuffled and placed back on the top of the infection deck (event 3). While I can't interrupt an event and its representation on the board (like between the card draw and the cube placement in event 2), I most certainly believe I can play RP between events 2 and 3, discarding (if I so choose) the city card that just came from the bottom of the deck before the discards are reshuffled and placed back on the top of the Infection Deck.

The turn would then proceed with the normal drawing of 2 (or 3, or 4, depending on the stage of the game) infection cards... but without the possibility of at least that one triple-cubed city that just came out. To me, this is one of the best uses of RP, and I believe it was why the card really exists... to hit something that otherwise might cause an outbreak once cards start coming off the top of the Infection Deck. It still works with the rules clarifications the author has listed, but allows for more skillful use of the special.

And I'm not "interrupting" anything.... otherwise, it wouldn't be listed as three different numbered paragraphs on the Epidemic card. Just my reading of how things work here....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Franz Kafka
United States
St. Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's a situation we couldn't quite agree on in a game tonight:

A player's end-of-turn draw consists of an Epidemic, and then a Resilient Population, in that order. Does the Epidemic need to resolve before the Resilient Population is even available to be played?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caleb Goerzen
United States
Sonoma
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I've always read the rules as "Draw two cards. If either is an epidemic, discard it while the other is put into your hand (unless you are really unlucky)."

To me, the "draw two cards" is one event rather than "draw one card, if it's an epidemic... then draw a second card, if it's an epidemic..."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pmonk1487 wrote:
I've always read the rules as "Draw two cards. If either is an epidemic, discard it while the other is put into your hand (unless you are really unlucky)."

To me, the "draw two cards" is one event rather than "draw one card, if it's an epidemic... then draw a second card, if it's an epidemic..."

I agree.

1) take 2 cards
2) put the normal cards and/or special cards in your hand (0,1 or 2 depending on number of epidemics)
3) discard hand cards or play special cards until you have 7 cards maximum
4) any player can play special cards
5) Handle the first (and probably only) epidemic card
6) any player can play special cards
7) Handle the second epidemic card (if you're unlucky)
8) Play the infector

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.