Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kirk Thomas
United States
North Kansas City
MO
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm talking about a complete game in good condition that you threw away rather than 1) trade, 2) sell, or 3) give to somebody, because you knew it had little-to-no value and you kind of want/need the shelf space back?

I haven't, but I'm on the verge of it. I have a copy of Munchkin - it has the original box art, so I'm guessing it contains the original version. There are many extra cards, so it probably contains one or more expansions. I got it in a bundle on a trade table. I'll never play it. I can't imagine anybody wants to pay enough to cover postage and time to pack it up, go to the PO, etc.

And, yet, I can't quite (yet) bring myself to just toss it in the trash and create some ever-decreasing shelf space. Why is this so hard.....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
lizard
Netherlands
Utrecht
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You don't have nephews who can be happy with it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Schmidt
United States
Maquoketa
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've thrown away incomplete games, usually after I've raided the bits for Cheapass games. Complete games will always go to Goodwill or something similar if I want to get rid of them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GeekInsight
United States
Whittier
California
flag msg tools
Giant Fire Breathing Robot
badge
gfbrobot.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I have only thrown away a game once. I've given many away, done my fair share of trades, and have sold a very few.

The only game I ever tossed was a miserable experience. It was so unpleasant that I actually felt bad donating it to my FLGS or trading it away. No, the merciful thing was to discard it.

Other than that one exception, I've never tossed a game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Norman Mueller
Germany
Schwerte
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not often, but it happens..
When I buy the newer edition of a game I scavenge the old one for spare or better parts, rendering it useless.
I would always try to find someone for my complete games, but it's getting harder and harder.
I own a lot of English and/or heavy games, so I cannot give them away to some institution like a youth club.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Belli
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking."
mbmbmbmbmb
I have thrown away several games that were found at thrift stores.

They were complete and in good condition. The basic components were simple pawns and standard dice which had little or no value for prototypes.

These games were also entirely devoid of play value, so their journey to the landfill or recycling center could be considered a method of protecting unwary newbies from exposure to this drivel.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Stanton
England
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Only after scavenging it for any useful bits & pieces

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Sheely
United States
Hayward
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I threw away one of my two copies of the original Axis & Allies because it was utterly trashed. We played it about 40 times.

I also recently threw away Strain. Lousy components and lousier gameplay. Trading it crossed my mind then in a fit of rage I slam dunked it into the recycling bin.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brook Gentlestream
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I recently threw away the original version of Trump: The Game after the box got shredded. It's not like I plan to ever play it again.

I may do the same with Murder City.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clay Cooper
United States
Slidell
Louisiana
flag msg tools
Yes, I have.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doe Gibson
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, I have thrown into the trash one game. One very large crappy game.

Edit: It was not something I would want to give to another person. The box was about 3' long, the bottom of which (the board) turned out to be very cheap plastic. I kept the bits, but the game itself was rubbish. I wish the person who had donated it before me had thrown it out, instead of donating it. It is packaged and sealed in such a way that you have no clue as to the disappointment waiting inside.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Runs with scissors
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
The die is cast.
badge
You say OCD like it's a bad thing.
mbmbmbmbmb
Over Christmas break my goal was to downsize by 100 games. This included a large chunk of time Ebaying and BGG Marketplace.

I also tried to give away a few games for free if the recipient would pay for postage. Some that might be interesting to my neighbor's kids are sitting next to the door. One fellow geek came by and picked up 6 or so for activities for kids at their church.

Many that were in poor condition or incomplete went into recycling. Over a dozen went to Goodwill.

I'd count those that went into recycling as throwing away a game, so the answer is yes. And yes, I did meet my goal. Like you storage space was a driver in this, but it felt good to de-clutter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
KT
United Kingdom
Bingham
Nottinghamshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Yes

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dick Ruck
United Kingdom
Brighton
East Sussex
flag msg tools
badge
Crabro was my first own-design stunt kite, named after a genus of black and yellow stinging insect in the UK
mbmbmbmbmb
I think my good friend Richard takes the biscuit:

Richard Minson
United Kingdom
Ashford
Kent
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

games-i-accidently-threw-out-with-the-trash
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Belli
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking."
mbmbmbmbmb
Crabro wrote:
I think my good friend Richard takes the biscuit:

Richard Minson
United Kingdom
Ashford
Kent
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

games-i-accidently-threw-out-with-the-trash

cry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Foulke
United States
Bethel Park
PA
flag msg tools
Welcome to Friedey's!
badge
You want fries with that?
mbmbmbmbmb
If it makes it to St. Louis somehow, I think I can find a suitable place for it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Owen
United States
Bellevue
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Donate the set to a middle school or high school boardgaming group, robotics group or library. Munchkin is a great gateway game to more complex titles for these ages of potential gamers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Thomas
United States
North Kansas City
MO
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pete belli wrote:

These games were also entirely devoid of play value, so their journey to the landfill or recycling center could be considered a method of protecting unwary newbies from exposure to this drivel.

I was thinking Munchkin fit this description. I'm sure many may object to that description, but I'm not sure I want to play with new games who are attracted by long, shallow, silly games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wink
United States
Eagleville
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You could always offer it up in a GG auction . . .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Thomas
United States
North Kansas City
MO
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
engdy wrote:
If it makes it to St. Louis somehow, I think I can find a suitable place for it.

I've seen your game room - the only reason I can think of that you'd want a copy of Munchkin is if one of your tables has a short leg.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy Smith
United States
Tavares
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
While I've never thrown away a game, if I ever came to possess a copy of Munchkin it would in fact go straight to the trash. Addition by subtraction my friend
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
If you put it up for the geekgold lottery, I'll put up some Munchkin bookmarks to the high bidder so you will get *more* geekgold for it. You *can* specify that the buyer pays shipping. A $5 shipping USPS box won't hold the game box, but will hold twice the base set cards. A $10 USPS box will hold the game box with plenty of room. Myself, when I charge $5 or $10 shipping, I pay the shipping while have the bidder buy me promos from the BGG store.

So I see a three=way win. You get geekgold, someone gets some Munchkin stuff, and you get BGG promos.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Lott
United States
Mason
Michigan
flag msg tools
Being a Lions fan is a gift...
badge
...and a curse.
mbmbmbmbmb
Goodwill might make a few bucks off of even the worst games, so I very rarely will throw one away. But, yes, I have thrown away a few.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Dearborn Heights
Michigan
flag msg tools
Fizzgig need food badly!
badge
Click on Fizzgig to feed him a tasty snack. Nom, Nom, Nom!
mbmbmbmbmb
Once... Scrabble Scramble, and right after I took the image below for the gallery.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jennifer Derrick
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Only if it is damaged/missing pieces beyond salvation and even then I'll salvage as much as I can for parts. Otherwise, it goes to Goodwill or the local thrift store if I don't know someone who might want it. I'd rather give a charity a chance to raise some money with it than clutter the landfill.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.