Hide
4 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Board Game Design » Board Game Design

Subject: Successful Pitch Stories? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sigismund Lee
msg tools
I've been perusing the Design sub-forums as to how I can go about completing a game that I've got in pre-alpha stage (paper cutouts and rules typed in MSnotepad) to near production level quality. My group of playtesters have loved it from the first time I sprung it on them and each round of feedback seems to make it flow better and better. It's certainly thematic, can apply to a whole bunch of known backgrounds or written entirely from scratch.

However, I'm at an impasse because it was inspired by and designed to replace an older game whose IP is owned by a very powerful company (rhymes with Names Forkchop) who is notoriously protective. They and their licensees needless to say are likely bombarded non-stop by sales pitches and even have a notice about unsolicited design ideas listed on the web.

Aside from eventually having my own pimped out homebrew boxed game, what's the chances it'll even see the desk of a known game publisher? What about all you grinders out there who design more consistently? Has anyone had genuine luck pushing an idea through to some of the big wigs in board and card game industry? If you were involved in a big name game, care to share on your success story, because I'm truly, truly curious.

As for my motivations, purely enjoyment; I'd be happy to have my name in the top credits and 10 copies a year to give to my friends if it ever went to print. Heck I'd be happy to have it circulate on pirate boards and bittorrent if I ever got it into pdf. I'm not interested per se as a career choice, but it would always be cool to say you created something that was well-regarded.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
See Shockforce: Battles in the Remnants of America and Warzone (first edition) and WarGods of Ægyptus for three that have tried that format before. Shock force is particularly notable as GW sued them for elements in the game. And of those three only Wargods is still going.

Theres been other lesser tries at toppling GWs near stranglehold on the miniatures wargaming biz. And do you remember any of them? No? Thats why...

GW updates and alters their rules slightly about every 4-5 years which alienates part of their fanbase each time.

To make a game now to compete with GW you need to look at Warzone/Mutant Chronicles and Wargods of Aegyptus for how they carved out their own niches. Mainly by having solid rules and more importantly, minis of equal or superior quality to GWs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Riddle
United States
Oxford
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Got my first game coming out soon. My partner and I went old school spam route and Fleet is coming soon to Gryphon Games. It just took time and effort (and a good game!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Loose Cannon
United States
Ypsilanti
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cant' wait to check it out!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.