Popular Tags: [View All]
Jon G
United States
Goleta
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Some fairly straightforward ideas for rotor variants. Variants 2 and 3 are two different options for the same thing. I have a hunch they'll work best if you start with no or few rotors on the board. Naturally, none of these are playtested. ninja

d10-1 When you urbanize (either for cash or with a card), you can either choose a "new city" marker, or a grey rotor. The rotor can start on any color you choose except red.

d10-2 For $10k additional cash, you can choose a non-red colored rotor instead. The rotor starts the same color as the base.

d10-3 You can choose a non-red colored rotor instead, but you do not draw two cubes. The rotor starts the same color as the base.

d10-4 You can upgrade a normal colored city to a rotor of the same color, but you do not draw two cubes. The rotor starts the same color as the base. [Aside: Normally, you can only add cubes to colored cities with a City growth card. Giving free cubes here hurts that scarcity]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Melkus
Serbia
Novi Sad
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Could be fun to try, but in most cases I don't think rotors used in this way can help you much. For example to urbanize to a colored rotor city you need $20,000 (or 'new industry' + 10K) this is way too expensive at early stages of the game. Later in the game when you have already built your network you have connection to cities of all colors and then rotors usually hurt you more then they help (as they can shorten your long deliveries).

I think using a grey city rotor and putting it in a line after 2-3 gray cities can be useful, as than you can haul a lot of cubes to this city, so this option seems like it could be useful, but a lot of conditions need to be filled out for me to even consider using it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon G
United States
Goleta
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I figured that you'd only pay extra for a rotor when it would help you, e.g. the end of a linear network that happened to have a variety of cubes on the other end. I've won several games of Western US with a Phoenix-Cheyenne linear network with the rotor in Denver and PHX urbanized to whatever is needed. If the rotor can receive an extra 1-2 deliveries, then you'll probably take it, even if it costs two more shares. I kept the price high b/c players often have spare cash at the end of the game, and even if not, paying 2 shares to score an extra 3-5 points is still valuable.

My concern is that more rotors may make linear networks too powerful, at least if you manage them well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Melkus
Serbia
Novi Sad
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
dr.mrow wrote:
If the rotor can receive an extra 1-2 deliveries, then you'll probably take it, even if it costs two more shares. I kept the price high b/c players often have spare cash at the end of the game, and even if not, paying 2 shares to score an extra 3-5 points is still valuable.

Don't forget that you need to spend an action to buy the rotor. So the 1-2 extra deliveries usually aren't worth it. For example, if spending a 10-20K would give you 2 times 6 points at the end of the game I'm sure that in most cases you will be able to find three 4-link deliveries somewhere in your network, that will give you the same number of points with the same number of actions and you will have more money at the end and with it you just may deny someone the baron card bonus and win the whole game.

I'm not saying that your idea is a bad one, I quite like it, I'm just saying that a lot of things need to be just right for it to work successfully.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.