Mindy G
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Mold the chaos into something beautiful
mbmbmbmbmb
My heroes have been trouncing on Sauron, 3-0, all mission wins. Sauron has yet to have dominance even once. Twice played as 2 heroes, last game as one hero with a double turn.

I feel like we must be missing something. Now, I do think my bf has had some bad draws with his plot cards, he's never had more than 2 in play, and I seem to often be able to discard them before he even gets to count them once at Story.

So, for example, Plot was someplace, he made it perilous and also moved his Minion there. Aragorn was also there. I traveled in, he chose to go with Peril, and I don't think it really did anything but I can't quite remember. (Looking back he definitely should have chosen combat, but he knew I had a wad of cards and hoped to get lucky with the Peril deck.) So then I talked to Aragorn, got 2 favor, discarded the Plot and left. Was that right? Should there have been any further hinderance to discarding the plot since the minion was there?

I do think we've been forgetting to end my turn during Ambush or Combat. I just can't get those straight.

Other than Story Step and resting, does the Story marker move any other time?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Cavaliere
United States
Littleton
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mindy,

Sounds like you've got things right with what you describe however it seems as though bf sauron needs to step up some things

I've had games where I can't seem to keep the plot cards on the board and/or can't get the draws and/or timing of them to work so he may just be having a tough time to start.

When playing old One Eye I do try to put up as many road blocks as possible - keeping perilous places separated from monster/minion occupied places when possible.

I'm not sure what you were confused about with the ambush or combat - you would only end your turn if you were defeated in combat. Maybe I misunderstood?

The Sauron story markers can also move as a result of some Event cards like 'Serpents & Sand' or 'The Blood of Rhun'.

Keep us posted here if sauron has success or needs other guidance into ruling Middle Earth

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Butler
United States
Fort Walton Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
oriecat wrote:
I do think we've been forgetting to end my turn during Ambush or Combat. I just can't get those straight.

Ambush doesn't end your turn (unless your character is "killed", that always ends your turn). Combat (other than ambush) does end your turn unless you WIN...so even a tie ends your turn.

oriecat wrote:

Yes, due to Denethor, but that helps the heroes.

I am probably biased, but I would recommend your Sauron looks at some of the Strategy articles posted here. Sauron needs to decide relatively early which color to emphasize (or to do all equally). Oftentimes (3/5 of the time) this is decided by Sauron's mission. I shamelessly recommend this one in particular:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/484552/sauron-plot-cards

It is important to know how Sauron strategy should differ depending on what color is emphasized.

Also, I think the Sauron player may not be playing enough Corruption cards. One may be played per hero's turn, plus one on Sauron's turn, max. These cards can really hamper the heroes. Frequently, placement in the Shadow box is required, but this can be synergistic with plot placement if Sauron is moving Black or Yellow)

Let me recommend you play one game with sides switched; I think for me the most helpful thing to play Sauron was to play the heroes and experience first-hand what makes me most nervous about the Dark Lord.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mindy G
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gamer DC wrote:

I'm not sure what you were confused about with the ambush or combat - you would only end your turn if you were defeated in combat. Maybe I misunderstood?

Isn't one of them that your turn ends if you don't defeat them, even if you aren't defeated yourself? Or is that just the placing influence thing? We keep forgetting that too. (I need to read the book again!)

There definitely seems to be more of a learning curve to Sauron, since he has to plan everything and get stuff in place in order to play his plots.

Hopefully the bf will want to try again, or at least switch and be the heroes. Last game didn't go so well (though at the end he got his red marked just one space behind mine, so caught up quite a bit).and I fear he might give up on the game.

Thank you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mindy G
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
butsam wrote:
oriecat wrote:

Ambush doesn't end your turn (unless your character is "killed", that always ends your turn). Combat (other than ambush) does end your turn unless you WIN...so even a tie ends your turn.

Thank you, yes, that's what I was thinking of!

When you said Corruption Cards, I think mean Shadow Cards? He had a really bad drawing luck with those, like all of the ones that required the most influence in the Pool, so he couldn't play any of them, as his pool never got full.

Yeah, I will send him the links to some of the Strategy articles. And I definitely want to switch around and try being Sauron myself.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duke Drizzt
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Ya sounds like your bf needs to play better as sauron it sounds(though maybe he didn't wanna hurt your feelings cuz u might withhold something from himblush). Minions are pretty tough and remember that it's pretty easy to become exhausted so there's no guarantee you're gonna win in combat. Regarding combat just remember that when u are defeated your turn immediately ends no matter the step. The difference is when u don't defeat them during the travel step. That's the only time your turn ends when u become exhausted. So if u become exhausted during the travel step u can't pay the favor to discard a plot card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duke Drizzt
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
oriecat wrote:

When you said Corruption Cards, I think mean Shadow Cards? He had a really bad drawing luck with those, like all of the ones that required the most influence in the Pool, so he couldn't play any of them, as his pool never got full.

Ya he meant Shadow. That's one thing i always forgot to do. I had like 3 or 4 in my hand but always forgot to play em cuz I could only play em during my action step. I'm so stupid cuz i was so eager to play em during there turn that when i looked at em again i could only do it during my turn. 4 turns went like this of me forgetting to play em. Which brings me to the pool. How was he doing that? I always put 2 in there as fast as i can to the max for that stage that way u can use the rest in the extensions. Did he realize that the current stage is the rightmost marker and so he can keep adding into it even if his tokens are still in the 1st?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Truesdell
United States
Uniontown
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here is my 2 cents for Sauron strategy. I have only played it a few times but they have all been PBEM so I have a lot of time to think.

Overall strategy for MEQ
Stick to the objective. Don't side tracked by combat/quests/objects/training/placing monsters/moving minions/whatever. Sure they help BUT only if you can manage them while staying on task.

Sauron: Get PLOTS on the table, if your cards are crap, draw more cards! Do what you need to do to meet the requirements. Even if a plot gets cleared right away, it burned their favor making it tougher to clear the next one and it opened a slot for the next one.

Minions: Put them in places to force the players to go around the long way. If they can stand on the plot that's great but since they move so slow, it is rare in my experience as the players jet around the board. Monsters usually guard most quests. Thalin is the only one that can take on a minion and stomp them in a routine basis w/o a decent amount of training. For combat, fight to exhaust the player and burn their cards to slow them down. Only rarely can you defeat them so don't try unless they are weak and tripped on your monster token hoping for a blank.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
oriecat wrote:
My heroes have been trouncing on Sauron, 3-0, all mission wins. Sauron has yet to have dominance even once. Twice played as 2 heroes, last game as one hero with a double turn.

I feel like we must be missing something. Now, I do think my bf has had some bad draws with his plot cards, he's never had more than 2 in play, and I seem to often be able to discard them before he even gets to count them once at Story.

A lot of people have answered already but I'll add my 2 cents. As Sauron you need to focus on getting plots out and keeping them out. This is the way you win. Everything else is a means to an end. I suspect your boyfriend is not playing enough influence actions. Fill the shadow pool whenever you can and use the rest of your influence to make the board more dangerous for the heroes (perilous locations, places to put monsters). Try to keep them from getting favor by using your monsters/minions or peril to slow them down. Also if you don't have decent plots or shadow cards you should draw cards.

When playing a 2 or 3 player game Sauron only gets 2 actions so he will often feel constrained as there won't be enough actions to do everything you might like. Sauron should also get stronger as the game goes on as he'll have more monsters and influence on the board.

Quote:
So, for example, Plot was someplace, he made it perilous and also moved his Minion there. Aragorn was also there. I traveled in, he chose to go with Peril, and I don't think it really did anything but I can't quite remember. (Looking back he definitely should have chosen combat, but he knew I had a wad of cards and hoped to get lucky with the Peril deck.) So then I talked to Aragorn, got 2 favor, discarded the Plot and left. Was that right? Should there have been any further hinderance to discarding the plot since the minion was there?

Looks like you did this right

Quote:

That could have a big effect. Combat should end the heroes turn unless they defeat the monster/minion or the hero is Thalin. If Ambushed though all the hero has to do is survive the battle.

Quote:

The story marker can be moved by certain Shadow cards and if a hero is defeated, in addition to resting and during the story step via plots and events.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.