Recommend
44 
 Thumb up
 Hide
45 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

A Game of Thrones: The Board Game (Second Edition)» Forums » Rules

Subject: Ports explained in FOUR simple rules! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: Pyuredeadbrilliant [+] [View All]
neko flying
Germany
Berlin
Berlin
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I found the port rules rather hard to understand, until I realised that they are just explained in a way that is confusing to me. The rules can be rephrased in (I believe) much simpler terms:

A Port is considered a sea area (bordering a Castle/Stronghold and a sea area proper) except for the following:

1 No more than three Ships allowed in a Port.

2 A Port belongs to the player owning the connected Castle/Stronghold and can never be attacked directly: Ships can never march into a non-friendly Port. When the Castle/Stronghold is conquered, the new owner can either destroy or take over the Ships in the Port (substituting one or more Ship units in the Port with units of the conqueror's colour).

3 Ships in a Port may not raid nor support land areas.

4 When there are friendly Ships in the Port and no enemy Ships in the connected sea area, the Port provides one Power Token when a "Consolidate Power" order is assigned to it, and when the "Game of Thrones" Westeros card is resolved, but not when the "Dark Wings, Dark Words" Westeros card is resolved.



Clarifications, anticipated questions, and comments

This is all you need to remember. All the other rules follow naturally from the fact that ports are considered sea areas in all other respects. Explicitly:

d10-0 The rulebook doesn't mention anything about the Dark Wings, Dark Words card. How did you come up with it? Official clarification: http://boardgamegeek.com/article/9457381#9457381

d10-1 Multiple units in a Port constitute an Army and count for supply limits.

d10-2 When a Castle or Stronghold musters, it can muster Ships in its Port.

d10-3 Ships in Ports must receive an Order Token in the Assign Orders phase.

d10-4 Defense Order Tokens in Ports are legal but have no effect (because of rule 2 above).

d10-5 Ships in a Port may always March, Support and Raid the connected sea area.

d10-6 Ships in a Port may be raided from the sea but not from land.

d10-7 Ships in a Port do not count for the defense of the connected Castle or Stronghold.

d10-8 One cannot use a Special Consolidate Power Order placed in a Port to muster units.

[Edits: two rules merged and reworded an additional clarification, thanks to Seli for costructive criticism. Thanks to Radziol and Amin for pointing out the DWDW card official clarification.]
54 
 Thumb up
2.26
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruno Libonati Rocha
Brazil
Curitiba
Paraná
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Ports explained in five simple rules!
Thank you for the clarifications!!!

They will be really helpful!!
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seli L
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
Re: Ports explained in five simple rules!
flying_neko wrote:

2 A Port belongs to the player owning the connected Castle/Stronghold. Ships cannot attack a Port owned by another player.


I would rephrase the second sentence as "Ships cannot march (and thus attack) into a Port that is not owned by that player.", as that is more generic.

flying_neko wrote:

5 When a Castle/Stronghold is conquered by a player, she takes control of the Ships in its Port by replacing them with Ship units of her own.


This is not entirely correct, as it is not compulsory. The conqueror may choose to destroy (some of) the ships instead (but is not allowed to destroy one's own units voluntarily).
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
neko flying
Germany
Berlin
Berlin
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Ports explained in five simple rules!
Thanks Seli, I will rephrase those in a clearer way
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
neko flying
Germany
Berlin
Berlin
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Comment. Once you think of it in these terms, I believe that the rules also make a lot of sense and are very "natural".

flying_neko wrote:
No more than three Ships allowed in a Port.

A port is only so big.

flying_neko wrote:
A Port can never be attacked.

There is simply not enough room to engage in a sea battle in a Port, and it has never happened in history as far as I know.

flying_neko wrote:
When the Castle/Stronghold is conquered, the new owner can either destroy or take over the Ships in the Port

That has happened a lot of times in history.

flying_neko wrote:
Ships in a Port may not raid nor support land areas.

When a port is in a blockade, the ships are not able to sail out of the port to help in any land battles.

flying_neko wrote:
When there are friendly Ships in the Port and no enemy Ships in the connected sea area, the Port provides one Power Token when a "Consolidate Power" order is assigned to it, and when the "Game of Thrones" Westeros card is resolved.


This simulates the economic effects of a blockade.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Finland
20100 Turku
flag msg tools
All reality is a game. Physics at its most fundamental, the very fabric of our universe, results directly from the interaction of certain fairly simple rules, and chance; the same description may be applied to the best, most elegant and both intellec
badge
and aesthetically satisfying games. By being unknowable, by resulting from events which, at the sub-atomic level, cannot be fully predicted, the future remains malleable, and retains the possibility of change, the hope of coming to prevail; victory.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
flying_neko wrote:
flying_neko wrote:
A Port can never be attacked.

There is simply not enough room to engage in a sea battle in a Port, and it has never happened in history as far as I know.


Can you raid ships in a port? That has happened in history.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
neko flying
Germany
Berlin
Berlin
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
kreikkaturkulainen wrote:
Can you raid ships in a port? That has happened in history.


It is allowed by the rules (I will add it to the clarifications)! When has it happened in history?
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim O'Neill (Established 1949)
Scotland
Motherwell
Graduate of Barlinnie
flag msg tools
VENI, VIDI, VISA - my reaction on entering my FLGS.
badge
Like a good red wine, I improve with age... and being laid.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
flying_neko wrote:
kreikkaturkulainen wrote:
Can you raid ships in a port? That has happened in history.


It is allowed by the rules (I will add it to the clarifications)! When has it happened in history?

Sir Francis Drake "singeing the King of Spain's beard" when he raided his fleet in the port of Cadiz.

Jim
Est. 1949

11 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
neko flying
Germany
Berlin
Berlin
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
oneilljgf wrote:

Sir Francis Drake "singeing the King of Spain's beard" when he raided his fleetin port.


I've learnt something today

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Singeing_the_King_of_Spain%27s_...
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
neko flying
Germany
Berlin
Berlin
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
joshsmith80 wrote:
What about the modern example of the Japanese bombing of Honolulu in WWII?


For that you will have to wait for the "Winds of Winter" expansion, with which...
Spoiler (click to reveal)
you will be able to muster Dragon units in Castles/Strongholds containing an Egg or a Horn token
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steffen Pedersen
Denmark
Copenhagen
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Question: Can ships retreat into neutral ports (that is a port with no friendly nor enemy units nor power tokens in adjacent land area) if beaten in the adjacent sea area?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Radosław Michalak
Poland
Bytom
flag msg tools
Gaming is for having fun. Fun requires clear rules.
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
econtra wrote:
Question: Can ships retreat into neutral ports (that is a port with no friendly nor enemy units nor power tokens in adjacent land area) if beaten in the adjacent sea area?

No. You have to be an owner of the port if you want to move into.
Furthermore if you leave land area with no power token your ships in adjacent port are immediatelly destroyed.
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Finland
20100 Turku
flag msg tools
All reality is a game. Physics at its most fundamental, the very fabric of our universe, results directly from the interaction of certain fairly simple rules, and chance; the same description may be applied to the best, most elegant and both intellec
badge
and aesthetically satisfying games. By being unknowable, by resulting from events which, at the sub-atomic level, cannot be fully predicted, the future remains malleable, and retains the possibility of change, the hope of coming to prevail; victory.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
flying_neko wrote:
kreikkaturkulainen wrote:
Can you raid ships in a port? That has happened in history.


It is allowed by the rules (I will add it to the clarifications)! When has it happened in history?


http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raid_on_Cherbourg
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tryon%27s_raid
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raid_on_Batavia_%281806%29
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raid_on_Griessie
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Constantine_Kanaris
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_Ostend_Raid
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zeebrugge_Raid
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Destruction_of_the_French_Fleet...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Taranto
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St_Nazaire_Raid
8 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Piotr Kaplon
Poland
Krakow
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Radziol wrote:
[q="econtra"]Furthermore if you leave land area with no power token your ships in adjacent port are immediatelly destroyed.


Is this official? We had exactly this problem today, and weren't sure what to do (move ship to adjacent sea? remove it from game?) when Tyrell left Oldtown and had no power token to keep it in his possession. We skimmed the rulebook but maybe we missed something...

I would argue that, since the province is not lost, but abandoned, it would be all right to move the ship/s, not loose them, as long as the neighboring sea is empty/has friendly ship/s already.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dypaca
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
piotkap wrote:
Radziol wrote:
[q="econtra"]Furthermore if you leave land area with no power token your ships in adjacent port are immediatelly destroyed.


Is this official? We had exactly this problem today, and weren't sure what to do (move ship to adjacent sea? remove it from game?) when Tyrell left Oldtown and had no power token to keep it in his possession. We skimmed the rulebook but maybe we missed something...

I would argue that, since the province is not lost, but abandoned, it would be all right to move the ship/s, not loose them, as long as the neighboring sea is empty/has friendly ship/s already.


It is official. From FFG's FAQ:
Quote:
Q: If a player marches all his land units out of an
area (but not his home area) connected to a Port with
his Ships, and in doing so chooses not to leave behind a
Power token, what happens to his Ships in the Port?
A: Ships left in a Port connected to an
uncontrolled land area are immediately destroyed.
If the land area connected to the Port is an enemy
home area, those Ships instead may immediately be
replaced with Ships of that enemy’s House (as per
the rules under “Taking Control of Enemy Ports” on
page 25).


The timing is not completely clear, but I think it would happen after taking control of undefended areas, and before resolving a battle. (which could be important if he is capturing any ships).
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Hall
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
piotkap wrote:
Radziol wrote:
[q="econtra"]Furthermore if you leave land area with no power token your ships in adjacent port are immediatelly destroyed.


Is this official? We had exactly this problem today, and weren't sure what to do (move ship to adjacent sea? remove it from game?) when Tyrell left Oldtown and had no power token to keep it in his possession. We skimmed the rulebook but maybe we missed something...

I would argue that, since the province is not lost, but abandoned, it would be all right to move the ship/s, not loose them, as long as the neighboring sea is empty/has friendly ship/s already.
Quite apart from the FFG FAQ which explicitly addresses this, there is no basis for moving units without a movement order (it is not a combat retreat which is the only time the rules contemplate moving units without orders).
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Piotr Kaplon
Poland
Krakow
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
gamer42_au wrote:
Quite apart from the FFG FAQ which explicitly addresses this, there is no basis for moving units without a movement order (it is not a combat retreat which is the only time the rules contemplate moving units without orders).


Well, in absence of clear rules in the rulebook I thought that there is no reason to destroy the ships with the nearest enemy fleet two regions apart. I'd say that this is a kind of retreat...

Well, situation like this doesn't happen that often, and this wasn't the best move of our Tyrell player this session...

Anyway, this FAQ quote solves the issue, thanks.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Summers
msg tools
I think I completely understand ports now, but I have one query:

In the rule book it states that ships still in a port when the land area is attacked are either destroyed or replaced. Now, had the player initially mustered directly into the sea and not the port, their ship would still be there. So I can't see how it is ever tactically sound to muster to a port and not the sea (assuming the sea is available), I can only think of downsides: it's one more march order away from being moved, it leaves the sea more open to attack (or simply being marched into), and the original point, it's gone if the land is attacked.

Can anyone tell me why a player would muster to a port if the sea was available?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim O'Neill (Established 1949)
Scotland
Motherwell
Graduate of Barlinnie
flag msg tools
VENI, VIDI, VISA - my reaction on entering my FLGS.
badge
Like a good red wine, I improve with age... and being laid.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
DaveSumm wrote:
...Can anyone tell me why a player would muster to a port if the sea was available?

Dave,

One reason is to avoid creating another "army" i.e. you are at your maximum allowed by supply and you cannot muster another ship into your sea area so, you muster that ship into your port.

Regards,


Jim

Est. 1949

4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Hall
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Three reasons:
1) supply limit - you can have 1 ship in port and 1 in sea without using supply
2) power - ship in port can CP for power and also generate power in GoT
3) sea might already have enemy in it - putting ship in port enables raiding against sea and/or attacking back to regain it.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
neko flying
Germany
Berlin
Berlin
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
gamer42_au wrote:
Three reasons:
1) supply limit - you can have 1 ship in port and 1 in sea without using supply
2) power - ship in port can CP for power and also generate power in GoT
3) sea might already have enemy in it - putting ship in port enables raiding against sea and/or attacking back to regain it.


4) a Ship in a Port can star-support a friendly ship in the sea, effectively adding +1 strength in addition to defense bonuses, or in alternative if they are forbidden by card events or needed elsewhere.

[edit: grammar]
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Summers
msg tools
gamer42_au wrote:

2) power - ship in port can CP for power and also generate power in GoT


Ah, so Consolidate Power orders work in Ports? I guess the rules don't say they don't, only that they don't in sea areas.

I'm not really sure what you mean by generate power in GoT...? Thanks though, and for the other responses.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Finkel
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The port rules specifically say that Consolidate Power works in ports with no enemy ships in the surrounding sea area. What Martin Hall means by "generate power in GoT" is that when the Game of Thrones card occurs and you get power for each crown icon you control, ships in port with no enemy ships in the surrounding sea area also generate one power for each such port.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Hall
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Generate power in GoT = when Game of Thrones card appears, a port with ships in it (and no enemy ships in neighbouring sea area) will produce 1 power.
And yes rules do say that ships in port with CP generate power - see page 25. NO power is generated from CP if there are enemy ships in the sea area though.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garth Bowden
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
Avatar
mb
flying_neko wrote:

4 When there are friendly Ships in the Port and no enemy Ships in the connected sea area, the Port provides one Power Token when a "Consolidate Power" order is assigned to it, and when the "Game of Thrones" Westeros card is resolved.


Another issue that came up in a game I recently played is that there are 1-2 other westeros cards that have the leader in a track pick from a few different options. One of these is the same effect as the Game of Thrones westeros card, but it isn't called "Game of Thrones". So does the player with a ship in a non-blockaded port still collect a power token if this option is picked?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.