♪ Isaäc Bickërstaff ♫
United States
Greer
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
Entropy Seminar:
badge
The results of a five yeer studee ntu the sekund lw uf thurmodynamiks aand itz inevibl fxt hon shewb rt nslpn raq liot.
mb
I played a game of The Resistance over the weekend where I was a spy. I'm not very experienced with games like this, and I'm a poor liar, so when I saw that I was a spy, I felt a little anxious. In my first game, I felt some guilt over tricking someone into trusting me whole-heartedly, when it was that very trust that convinced him to send me on that last mission. But, a game is a game, and you do the best you can with what you have, right?

For the first mission in this game, the two of us going on the mission were spies. What to do? I had already figured that we couldn't both play failure cards, since it would leave just the final spy to bring down the resistance, but I also thought that if I could play my failure card and convince the rest of the group that I could be trusted, then I could sell out my spy and use that trust against them. After all, who in their right mind would throw out a failure card when two spies were on the mission? The only problem with the plan was if my fellow spy didn't attempt the same thing. It was risky, but I took a chance and tossed my failure card into the mix. One success, one failure. Perfect.

I second-guessed this decision over the next turn, when two more spies went on the next mission, and the mission saw another failure. Would we be able to keep their trust? Could I somehow manipulate the other members of the team into suspecting someone else as a spy?

The third mission saw 100% success, by three people who had yet to be on a mission, so when the fourth mission came up, I identified the three people who weren't spies, and strongly suggested that they go on the next mission, as it was the only way to guarantee success. Everyone agreed, and that mission was also a success. I had a moment where I thought, Oh no, now they're just going to send those three players over and over and win the game, but someone else at the table pointed out that the next two missions would require four and five members, respectively. And we only needed to sabotage one more mission to win.

So, it became my turn to be the commander, and I said I was definitely sending the three trusted resistance members, but then waffled over who to send as the fourth members. After a moment of thinking out loud, I said, "Oh, I could send myself," in a rather glib way, and pushed for the vote. A real member of the resistance wouldn't have hesitated, and later I found out that one of the folks who voted against the mission knew I was a spy because of the way I reacted to sending the fourth person. Luckily, the voting for the mission was rushed, and no one else noticed it, so when we were all sent on the mission, it of course failed. Many high fives were bandied about among the spies. Had the players talked more about it, I think that the suspicious members of the resistance could have convinced the other that I was a spy, and it would have been entirely my fault that we had failed, thanks to those specific action. But we didn't, and I can't help but feel that those decisions were crucial to the outcome of the game.

It was actually pretty fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul S
United Kingdom
Leeds
West Yorks
flag msg tools
DARK IN HERE, ISN'T IT?
mbmbmbmbmb
Good report - it's great when it works out like that
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent J
United States
Coldwater
Michigan
flag msg tools
He's looking real sharp in his 1940's fedora. He's got nerves of steel, an iron will, and several other metal-themed attributes. His fur is water tight and he's always up for a fight.
badge
He's a semi-aquatic egg-laying mammal of action. He's a furry little flat-foot who'll never flinch from a fray. He's got more than just mad skills, he's got a beaver tail and a bill.
mbmbmbmbmb
Remember that in a big game like that, 7+, the fourth mission only fails if there is more than 1 fail card. 1 fail card does not fail the 4th mission in 7+ player games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♪ Isaäc Bickërstaff ♫
United States
Greer
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
Entropy Seminar:
badge
The results of a five yeer studee ntu the sekund lw uf thurmodynamiks aand itz inevibl fxt hon shewb rt nslpn raq liot.
mb
Jythier wrote:
Remember that in a big game like that, 7+, the fourth mission only fails if there is more than 1 fail card. 1 fail card does not fail the 4th mission in 7+ player games.

Ah, I didn't know that. Then the resistance definitely would have won, as the player following me had already pegged me as a spy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.