Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Colin Houghton
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you include cards in your deck to get extra resources, such as songs, does it make sense to try and go for only two heroes, so that you have less threat and less engagement from enemies at the start, and more turns before threat levels start getting critical?

Or is it always a false economy to have less than three heroes?

Haven't played enough yet to try scenarios with less than three heroes, so was wondering what other people's experiences might be!

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bart Rachemoss
United States
Silver City
New Mexico
flag msg tools
Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts.
mbmbmbmbmb
The Song cards don't give you more resources, they just let you spend resources on cards from a different sphere.

IMO, it will be much more difficult with fewer that 3 heroes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duke Of Lizards
United States
Montpelier
Vermont
flag msg tools
Livin's mostly wasting time, and I waste my share of mine
badge
I am a breathing time machine
mbmbmbmbmb
Chou4555 wrote:
If you include cards in your deck to get extra resources, such as songs, does it make sense to try and go for only two heroes, so that you have less threat and less engagement from enemies at the start, and more turns before threat levels start getting critical?

Or is it always a false economy to have less than three heroes?

Haven't played enough yet to try scenarios with less than three heroes, so was wondering what other people's experiences might be!

Thanks.

Give it a shot and let us know

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
snailien
United States
DeKalb
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Unless you're deliberately trying to make the game more challenging, I don't think using fewer than 3 heroes is a good idea, especially for solo play. The benefit of having less starting threat does not balance at all considering you are crippling not only how many (and the types) resources you obtain per round, but also how many characters you have available to deal with whatever the encounter deck throws your way. Because of these handicaps, it will be much more difficult to maintain your low threat level.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Houghton
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ooops
blush
I thought the song cards gave you not only an extra sphere icon, but also an extra resource... but that's not what the rules say!

But I still wonder if you can use two heroes, especially if you have resource generating cards, and a bunch of allies to allow you to quest, defend and attack to thwart that pesky Sauron and his minions!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dmitry Vensko
Belarus
Minsk
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
theoretically you may have less than 3 heroes, but it is unlikely good idea

your only benefit is low starting threat, what can be useful for specific scenario setup

but in long run you have more limited resources and abilities

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bart Rachemoss
United States
Silver City
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here is a session report from someone (xanalor) who beat the Passage Through Mirkwood quest with a single hero:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/663646/challenge-accepte...

There is also a custom scenario by ninjadorg that restricts you to using only one hero.

So it is possible to win (against some scenarios) with just one or two heroes but it is more difficult.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michail Giannis
Greece
Athens
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There are some allies out there that are better than some heroes (Beorn)if you will be able to call them in game....

But you do need a card to give you resources (steward of gondor).
Also you will have to deal will the fewer willpower at the start.

Some quests CAN be achieved with fewer Heroes....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BitJam wrote:
The Song cards don't give you more resources, they just let you spend resources on cards from a different sphere.

which AP does the song card come in?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Morris
Scotland
Harrogate
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
designer
Join the BGG Folding @Home Team !!
badge
This user had more :gg: than sense
mbmbmbmbmb
abe18 wrote:
BitJam wrote:

which AP does the song card come in?

There are several song cards, and they come in different packs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Dallas
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
List of the song cards
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Houghton
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't quite worked out how to use song cards unless you have a two-sphere solo deck maybe?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Dallas
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well any deck can use them, solo or not. You can even get a 4 sphere deck going with them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bart Rachemoss
United States
Silver City
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Chou4555 wrote:
I haven't quite worked out how to use song cards unless you have a two-sphere solo deck maybe?

Only one hero can have Steward of Gondor. That one hero usually ends up with a ton of resources but only one resource icon ...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pål Toler
Sweden
Uppsala
Unspecified
flag msg tools
OF GAMES
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here is a brief report from an Emyn Muil game with two heroes that seems to have gone quite well: http://goo.gl/T6OeE (near bottom of page)

So it is certainly a viable strategy. I suppose Theodred is particularly useful for this as he creates an extra resource when questing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.