Kev.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Read & Watch at www.bigboardgaming.com
Gents,
The first landmark AARs are coming in.
The new, the old, the masters are all deep at it in Round 1.

A titanic clash on an board that goes back to the early days of Board Gaming.

Take a peek here : http://meshtime.com/50th-anniversary-stalingrad/stalingrad-t...

Joe Angiolillo concluded his round with a win,
Charles Sutherland is out in Round 1!
The blood bath continues anon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenneth Stein
United States
Toledo
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah, for the days of Stalingrad,D-Day
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kev.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Michael Dorosh wrote:
Well that's a bold move, driving all your spearheads straight into the Pripet Marshes. Did they pack their winter undies this time?

Not my battle, I am hosting the AARS from all the players that elect to send them in from the tourney.

My previous posts highlighted various openings, for the new guys like me to consider and discuss. Most of that discussion is happen on CSW where the comments are little more thoughtful and little less smart arsed than here as you state.

This current play is from two folks who are not only AREA rated but have played the game deeply for decades, it has been very enjoyable reading the thought process and watching to different style clash.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.L. Robert
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Follow me for wargames!
mbmbmbmbmb
Michael Dorosh wrote:
Basically - as with anything - demand drives supply, and from what I can tell, the demand for serious analysis has dried up in relative terms...

A byproduct of The Cult of the New and the profileration of the hobby in general. There are just too many new products rolling down the production line--and too many companies with their own production lines--for people to dedicate the time necessary to devise and develop such strategy articles with all but the most enduring of modern games. Instead of 1 wargame a year, per the old TAHGC model, wargames now become passe after a few months (even weeks), when the Next Big Thing is released.

Seriously, how soon before Strike of the Eagle (to pick a current hot title) gets relegated to the back of the closet, to share the same fate as Fighting Formations: Grossdeutschland Motorized Infantry Division?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kev.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Michael Dorosh wrote:
hipshot wrote:
Michael Dorosh wrote:
Well that's a bold move, driving all your spearheads straight into the Pripet Marshes. Did they pack their winter undies this time?

Not my battle, I am hosting the AARS from all the players that elect to send them in from the tourney.

My previous posts highlighted various openings, for the new guys like me to consider and discuss. Most of that discussion is happen on CSW where the comments are little more thoughtful and little less smart arsed than here as you state.

This current play is from two folks who are not only AREA rated but have played the game deeply for decades, it has been very enjoyable reading the thought process and watching to different style clash.

Well, I wasn't trying to take a swipe at BGG, and apologies if my remarks were interpreted that way. This forum is what it is. My point was in response to the comment above. Basically - as with anything - demand drives supply, and from what I can tell, the demand for serious analysis has dried up in relative terms. Hence the death of magazines like MOVES, F&M, etc. and the reason that the "comical" comments you mention seem to get the lion's share of attention - it's no different on other ostensibly wargame themed web-forums either. Not necessarily a complaint, just an observation.

Then again, the quality of AARs may be slipping too - we just had a whole thread on this a few days ago.

I think the net brings a broader audience to experience games that is good. This forum serves it purpose, I dont dislike it, the point of sharing these aars written by guys who have 40+ years in the game are a piece of history! There wont be another 50th anniversary of the first East Front wargame that I know of! Regardless of the quality it worth sharing, and capturing.

I also think there are folks who like the way it was and not the way it is becoming. Are there lots of shitty games with too many fanboys. Sure. I play some, and if I have to read another 'thoughtful' review of a WWII tactical game I'll video myself naked running down main street.

I thoroughly enjoy your in depth writing. I'm not particularly good at that, it is not a core skill I have matured. Most of my life has been spent in front of groups of people presenting. I have however elected to document my experiences in TCS/GBoH/LNL/WAW etc, despite that lack of skill.

Along the way I have learned new skills, invested in learning new means of capturing game play and generally had a blast.

I have lots of negative comments about some of those 'new means', nevertheless I like doing what I do, despite the sometimes doubling or tripling of play time that it involves. The people that like the types of articles or videos I make are a key demographic for the industry (35-44) yr olds. Older guys like you and I are not as enthused so be it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.