Shogi Gut

Hong Kong
msg tools
mb
I came across the following situation in a game:

I am a non-pirate, in my turn I entered a seazone where two naval ships and another non-pirate player are there. After entering the seazone I scouted for the fellow player and boarded him. I received my bounties and now become a pirate.

1. Will I be scouted by the two naval ships immediately or I can take time to move out?
2. Can I use the "Pardon" glory card looted from the defeated player to become non-pirate again to avoid being scouted?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
The Herbie Nichols Project - Dr. Cyclops' Dream
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
shogigut wrote:
1. Will I be scouted by the two naval ships immediately or I can take time to move out?

Naval ships will scout for you at two times: when you start your turn in the same area, and when you move into the same area. Since you aren't starting your turn, and you had already entered before you turned pirate, neither case applies and you won't be scouted immediately.

shogigut wrote:
2. Can I use the "Pardon" glory card looted from the defeated player to become non-pirate again to avoid being scouted?

Yes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duke Drizzt
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
don't have the rulebook in front of me but i believe they only scout for u when u enter their seazone or if u start in it. If u had 1 action left then conceivably u could still leave without being scouted. If im wrong on this then i don't see what would inhibit u to play the card right away to avoid it. Also, don't forget that even if u move away while you're a pirate that they won't come after u unless they're activated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shogi Gut

Hong Kong
msg tools
mb
Thanks for your prompt replies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shogi Gut

Hong Kong
msg tools
mb
That's been a futile attempt, actually we ruled that I was scouted by the two naval ships. I dodged one and shot down the other, ending my turn in pretty bad shape and was sunk by his new captain.

Yet all these efforts are fruitless as another player declared victory in the very next turn arrrh(it was a four player game), can't turn the table even if I managed to survive the battle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
LotB 2002
Netherlands
Utrecht
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
shogigut wrote:
ending my turn in pretty bad shape and was sunk by his new captain.

Were you so unlucky that his new captains hometown was so close by he could retaliate in the very next turn?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shogi Gut

Hong Kong
msg tools
mb
I started the turn that round and my opponent is next to me, so he has effectively two rounds to hunt me down.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Burger
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
shogigut wrote:
I started the turn that round and my opponent is next to me, so he has effectively two rounds to hunt me down.

Are you rotating first player? I dont think you are suposed to. Although it may be a houserule. That would, like you said, occasionally give players 2 full turns against an opponent.

And technically there are 3 occasions when Navalships scout for you presuming you have a bounty.

1. You start a turn in their sea zone.
2. You enter a sea zone they occupy.
3. They are moved by an event card into a sea zone you occupy.

Which means you could move into a sea zone with Naval ships, scout for a ship, attack it, recieve the bounty. And then on your third action move away. Or if you started in the sea zone with the naval ships you could scout, engage, and perform 2 more actions, move move or move port etc.

Adam

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
United States
Up Nort' Der
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
VAST: The Mysterious Manor
badge
We must move forward, not backward, upward, not forward, and always twirling, twirling, twirling towards freedom!
mbmbmbmbmb
Adamacer wrote:
And technically there are 3 occasions when Navalships scout for you presuming you have a bounty.

NPCs do not scout for you immediately when an event card (hunt priority) sends them into your sea zone.

They wait until you start your turn to scout for you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Burger
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Woelf wrote:
Adamacer wrote:

NPCs do not scout for you immediately when an event card (hunt priority) sends them into your sea zone.

They wait until you start your turn to scout for you.

Thats what I get for not having the rules nearby. You are correct ofcourse, since otherwise the Navalships could potentially scout for you twice during the same round, before you took any action. I just seem to recall my group scouting when the Naval ship entered, and then I guess its not been an issue yet since one of the two have been destroyed. But i can see the possible conflict in "Flee" situations atc.

Adam

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Szilagyi
United States
Parma
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just had this situation last week.

I argued (correctly, as it turns out) that I wouldn't be scouted after turning pirate since A) my turn had already started (as a merchant), and B) I wasn't moving into the Sea Zone I (and the Spanish Navy) currently occupied.

Pirates are devious, and Sea Zones are large...

My opponent (2 player game) wasn't having any, but couldn't find anything in the rules to support his case. Didn't matter, in the end. He won.

Only took 4 pages of Rules Forum searching to find your responses!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.