Kevin Marshall
United States
Thousand Oaks
California
flag msg tools
We Are DEVO!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If someone is second player and they place a Boat tile, they move up one space. I believe this means that they share the same spot as the first player. If/when this occurs, who is the first player?

I find the whole description of player order a bit hazy in this game, yet it seems rather important.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Calongne
United States
Keller
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If the second player moved up one space and shares the space with the person in front of them, they place their marker on top of the first player's marker. The marker on top is now the starting player, and pass the white die.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Dave
United States
Ogden
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
At the beginning of the game stack the player order bits so that the last player is at the bottom of the stack and the first player is at the top.

When a player places a boat, take their turn marker and advance it once spot on the track. If there already is a turn order marker in the new space, stack the one that is moving on top of the one(s) already there.

Turn order is right-to-left, top-to-bottom.

So

Red
Green - Blue - Black

would mean black is first, then blue, then red, then green.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Marshall
United States
Thousand Oaks
California
flag msg tools
We Are DEVO!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, I wasn't clear on the stacking aspect. Now I see...very clever. That makes the timing of the shipping actions very key.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark M
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Appreciate this question being asked, I was struggling with the same thing. To follow, once everyone has had a turn in a particular round, then the new start player rolls the white die and everyone rolls their own dice? Thus there are five white die rolls in a given round before proceeding to the next phase. So unless there are some other modifiers I haven't read about yet, there will be 25 rounds and 25 white die rolls by the start player of the moment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam O'Brien
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Even Cleverer Overtext
badge
Every time someone activates this overtext, it takes a year off my life. Hover often please!
mbmbmbmbmb
manymoodys wrote:
Appreciate this question being asked, I was struggling with the same thing. To follow, once everyone has had a turn in a particular round, then the new start player rolls the white die and everyone rolls their own dice? Thus there are five white die rolls in a given round before proceeding to the next phase. So unless there are some other modifiers I haven't read about yet, there will be 25 rounds and 25 white die rolls by the start player of the moment.

This is correct. The 25 goods tiles that are set out at the beginning of the game are the "clock". There are exactly 25 turns in the game. Whoever happens to be start player will roll the white dice to place the good tile, and advance the "clock".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark M
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you - read that section about 20 times and still was having trouble grasping what it was saying. No doubt could have been a little more explicit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam O'Brien
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Even Cleverer Overtext
badge
Every time someone activates this overtext, it takes a year off my life. Hover often please!
mbmbmbmbmb
Dr Mage wrote:
Thanks, I wasn't clear on the stacking aspect. Now I see...very clever. That makes the timing of the shipping actions very key.

This mechanic is also present in Macao and In the Year of the Dragon, two other Feld designs (also very good games).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonas
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
whattheproblemis wrote:
At the beginning of the game stack the player order bits so that the last player is at the bottom of the stack and the first player is at the top.

When a player places a boat, take their turn marker and advance it once spot on the track. If there already is a turn order marker in the new space, stack the one that is moving on top of the one(s) already there.

Turn order is right-to-left, top-to-bottom.

So

Red
Green - Blue - Black

would mean black is first, then blue, then red, then green.

I am just wondering where in the rulebook is this. I have trouble finding out where it says about turn orders and how it works.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
chessduffer wrote:
I am just wondering where in the rulebook is this. I have trouble finding out where it says about turn orders and how it works.

Page 3: "The start player’s piece should be on top in the tower and the last player’s piece should be at the bottom."

Page 4: "Thereafter, the start player carries his turn out. It is then the turn of the next player in turn order (moving from right to left on the turn order track and from top to bottom in a given tower)."

Page 5: "The player moves his playing piece on the turn order track one space to the right. Should this space be occupied, then he places his piece on top of the other pieces."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yi-Chou Kung
Taiwan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have another question:
what happened if someone's boat reached the end?

since the later boat will stack on the former,
I think it's not good to reach the end too early?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JongKong wrote:
I have another question:
what happened if someone's boat reached the end?

since the later boat will stack on the former,
I think it's not good to reach the end too early?

Few players reach the end, in my (limited) experience. You usually can't fill in everything, and if the bonuses are already taken, the incentive is lessened.

But yes, turn order vs the bonus is something to consider if you're all near the end.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thom Parkin
United States
Sanford
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When that player moves up - and becomes "start player", is the White Die passed immediately? Does [b]that player/b] begin the very next round in that phase?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sheldon Smith
United States
Rancho Cucamonga
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If multiple players reach the final space, do the players place their disc(s) BELOW the top player?

I believe this rules specification is present in both Macao and Luna on their respective "initiative" tracks (and perhaps even Trajan too).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sheldon Smith
United States
Rancho Cucamonga
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello Thom,

We played that the white dice immediately moved to the player with highest initiative. Obviously, the white die makes little difference to who rolls it (it's all random). Having such a rule like this may just offer the start player with the added "fun" of rolling the white die (just like the start player in Macao gets to roll the 6 colored dice).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mik Svellov
Denmark
Copenhagen N
EU
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
EyeInSky wrote:
If multiple players reach the final space, do the players place their disc(s) BELOW the top player?

I believe this rules specification is present in both Macao and Luna on their respective "initiative" tracks (and perhaps even Trajan too).

Sheldon. No need to use rules from other games, even with the same designer.

In CoB a player always move his token 1 space forward and on top of everybody else in that space. This penalises a player for finishing his ships too soon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mik Svellov
Denmark
Copenhagen N
EU
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ParkinT wrote:
When that player moves up - and becomes "start player", is the White Die passed immediately? Does [b]that player/b] begin the very next round in that phase?

The rules tells you to give the white die to the new start-player, but they don't tell you break up the game and change anything else. Just give the die to the players as they build ships, and then the correct player will have the die in his box ready to roll at the beginning of the next round.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I like board games more than most people.
United States
Northlake
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
When I die I want people to look at the condition of my games and say, "Man, he really played these alot."
mbmbmb
3dicebombers wrote:
This is correct. The 25 goods tiles that are set out at the beginning of the game are the "clock". There are exactly 25 turns in the game. Whoever happens to be start player will roll the white dice to place the good tile, and advance the "clock".

I know the rules specifically mention that looking at the goods section will tell you how long the game will last but your use of the word "clock" really makes the concept easy to understand.

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Gresik
United States
Bolingbrook
IL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
UnknownParkerBrother wrote:
chessduffer wrote:
I am just wondering where in the
rulebook is this. I have trouble finding out where it says about turn orders and how it works.

Page 3: "The start player’s piece should be on top in the tower and the last player’s piece should be at the bottom."

Page 4: "Thereafter, the start player carries his turn out. It is then the turn of the next player in turn order (moving from right to left on the turn order track and from top to bottom in a given tower)."

Page 5: "The player moves his playing piece on the turn order track one space to the right. Should this space be occupied, then he places his piece on top of the other pieces."

Thanks - we just played our first game and totally botched turn order. This is our first Feld game and this turn order track and "tower" business and right to left would have been so much easier to explain with a simple diagram. The fact that it wasn't is really quite silly, as the rest of the rulebook is so well diagrammed with great detail. Good game though!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jure Forstnerič
Slovenia
Ljubljana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So to clarify - the entire turn order changes around during the game? Because we've been playing the first player correctly, but the rest of the players always went in clockwise order.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oskar 10101
Netherlands
Den Haag
flag msg tools
Yep, that is also why boats typically get chosen strategically which often means they are among the first to get chosen.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jure Forstnerič
Slovenia
Ljubljana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cool, thanks for the clarification!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kara S
United States
Palmer
Alaska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So, we had a boat-heavy game where I was at the end of the track and my opponent followed, ending on top of me and gaining the lead position. I had one more boat to place; if I was already as far right on the track as I could go, would that be it for me or would I jump to the top of the stack?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gilbert Quinonez
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Howlsthunder wrote:
So, we had a boat-heavy game where I was at the end of the track and my opponent followed, ending on top of me and gaining the lead position. I had one more boat to place; if I was already as far right on the track as I could go, would that be it for me or would I jump to the top of the stack?

If you're at the end of the track, you can't have another boat to place.

There are six spots on the track, and every board has six boat spaces.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kara S
United States
Palmer
Alaska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ligtreb wrote:

If you're at the end of the track, you can't have another boat to place.

There are six spots on the track, and every board has six boat spaces.

Ah-ha -- I wonder how I missed that. Then again it was a long day at work. zombie
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.