Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Zeppelin rules!
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Can a squad on a Lv2 hill attack a squad on another Lv2 hill if there is forest in between? Normally forest blocks LOS but is a Lv2 hill high enough to see over the forest?
I posted this on the FFG forum a little while ago and now I'm curious as to what the BGG crowd will say.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stuart Poll
England
matlock
Derbyshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not got rules with me but my first thought is: yes units on Lvl 2 can see each other over a lvl 1 obstruction. I dont think a forest on a Lvl 1 hill would block LOS of 2 units on Lvl 2 hill either. The only time forest will block Los for a unit on Lvl 2 terrain is if the forest is also on Lvl 2 terrain or the unit on Lvl 2 wants Los to a unit on a lower lvl and the forest creates a blind spot.
I would think that in reality a Unit on a Lvl 2 hill next to a forest on a Lvl 1 hill should suffer from the plateau effect if trying to spot units beyond the forest but i cant remember if TOI go's into that much detail. As i recall the LOS rules for TOI leave much to be desired especially elevated units spotting units on lower elevation. Be warned that this is all from memory and may be total bunkum.

I should have learned to only answer questions if i have the rules in front of me by now. Please ignore my Bunkum and see other better informed posts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hillery
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Brian: According to the rules, yes, the forest blocks LOS. So do intervening buildings and any other LOS-blocking terrain. In my opinion (and the opinion of a number of other people on these boards) that is probably an oversight in the rules, and in most games I've played where something like this comes up we say that two units on level 1 or 2 hills have LOS to each other regardless of what level 0 terrain is between them.

Stuart - as far as I know, there are no forests-on-hill terrain pieces in the game. All the hills, both level 1 and level 2, are bare. So the only question is whether the forests are supposed to be taller than the hills or not. Scale-wise, it seems clear to me that at the very least even level 1 hills are supposed to be pretty high (and pretty steep), or there wouldn't be any reason for the plateau rules in the first place. So I find it easier to think that all level 0 terrain is shorter than level 1 or level 2 hills.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray
Thailand
Bangkok
Bangkok
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

The rules are not detailed in this area, so some interpretation lays upon the gamer.

Terrain is either blocking or non-blocking. For us, its hard to imagine a woods stretching upwards into the sky with unlimited bounds.

We tend to assign levels to all terrain features. For example, level one terrain features would be woods, buildings, dunes, and of course, level one hills. Level two terrain features are, you guessed it, level two hills. Oh, and bunkers are level two unless noted otherwise in the scenario. Makes sense since a bunker is large like a building ("take up an entire hex" pg.5-DotF) and on a hill (as pictured on the hex-tile).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.