Popular Tags: [View All]
Nate Rethorn
United States
Perrysburg
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
...by admitting this, but I really enjoy Fluxx. I've owned this game for the better part of a decade and still haven't grown tired of the insanity and randomness. People who suggest that there's no strategy are mistaken. There is strategy involved; you want to maximize the odds of your hand winning when a new goal is laid while simultaneously making it more difficult for your opponents to get their desired combos. If you know the deck well, you can plan ahead one or two turns (unless people are drawing and playing large numbers of cards, in which case it's best if you just hang on for the ride). But if you can manage to lay a combo of something like "Draw 4/Play All/Rules Reset," you'll stand a much better chance of winning than the person next to you.

Fluxx isn't deep, and I understand how obsessive gamers can get frustrated with all of the rules changes. But I don't think that leveling a charge of "completely random" at Fluxx is justified. It may seem random to one player, but every person at the table is following an individual strategy. In Fluxx, however, those strategies often end up overturning yours. It's the nature of the game.

I wouldn't recommend it with more than five players because as more people join, the likelihood that someone will win quickly greatly diminishes. Players are more in control of their own fate with fewer opponents around the table, and Fluxx can really wear out its welcome around the half-hour mark. I once played a 10-person game at Origins; an hour and a half later no one had come close to winning. But for light, chaotic fun with small groups, Fluxx is highly recommended. Just be sure to stress the importance of multiple rules with new players; I've found that some people tend to become confused at having the rules changed on them every turn.

And special mention has to be made of the Fluxx Blanxx cards. If you want to make the game less random and more strategic, add your own rules! Or swing in the opposite direction and come up with the craziest, most insane action/rules cards you can think of. One of the best gaming experiences of my life was playing Fluxx at Origins with a group of six people and a Fluxx deck almost entirely made up of Blanxx. Imagine having to beg a kiss from a random stranger, serenade everyone at the table or play a side game of poker to win keepers. Your imagination is the limit, and nearly everyone I know has at least a few Blanxx cards thrown in the deck for extra fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe
United States
Shoreview
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't mind Martian Fluxx with two people who really know the deck well. It's a decent tactical game. Pirate Fluxx with 4 is the only other Fluxx I will play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron
United States
Ramsey
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Hey...
badge
Down here...
mbmbmbmbmb
I enjoy Fluxx and Munchkin once in a while too. I have a pretty wide taste in games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lars M
Germany
Stuttgart
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I can top that:
It's thanks to Fluxx, that I found "my" boardgaming club - which I am member of since a decade now.
On a boardgaming fair I was introduced to this game by the girlfriend of the clubs president, loved it, joined them on a trip to a convention a week later and was hooked from there on...
So: I only turned into a BGG due to Fluxx - and love it therefore...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Brichs
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fluxx was the reason I got onto BGG as well. I had a bunch of Fluxx Blanxx, and wanted ideas for what other people had done with theirs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Norris
United States
Southbridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I really like Fluxx as well. It is a great game to pull out and play a quick game. I have all of the versions and play whatever flavor strikes our mood at that time. Sometimes we play a few games of each flavor. I like to play it with the wife while watching TV. It's not the kind of game that requires full on attention. It's also VERY easy to teach someone for the first time, so it can be a great social game. We usually have alot of laughs with people who have never played before (even "non-gamers").
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Owen
United States
Norwich
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have found Fluxx to be a great break-the-ice game in gaming groups who aren't used to the more sophisticated games popular on BGG. (Yeah, I know that Fluxx isn't all that sophisticated, but if all you've played is Pictionary then ... .)

It is best with around 5 or 6 players. While more can play, like any game with a large number of players there's the problem of too much down time between moves if you push the numbers too far. On the other hand it's one of the few games where a late-comer can just jump right in, so it works well with a group that may have people trickling in.

I have most of the Fluxx versions so I usually rotate through my decks so the experience is fresh for each group.

There is, indeed, strategy, but it's hard to get too strategic, which I consider a feature, not a bug for an ice-breaker game. It's fairly common for a newbie to get lucky and win the game. Usually after the first game everybody wants to play a second game because they believe they now "get" the game and can play more strategically the second time around. The game plays quickly enough that this is usually possible.

While I've had a few games drag on a bit, this hasn't been a big problem, possibly because I play ringmaster and keep the game flowing by reminding new players as they go along what their options are given the current configuration of the rules (which can get pretty hard to follow if there's a lot of New Rule cards in play at the moment.)

I think Fluxx is a great game for what it is, a light multi-player game that's a notch above the usual 'family' fare that many people are used to. It has no player elimination, little direct player conflict and plenty of opportunity to provoke amusing table banter (especially the Monty Python, Pirate and Martian decks).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've had games last 5 minutes and go so long we gave up.

Fluxx suxx
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Orangemoose wrote:

Fluxx suxx

If you prefer a game to have low variation in its average length, then indeed Fluxx does not meet that criterion.

Personally I'm not bothered by that. Many diverse games (including light games and serious games) can end quickly or last a long time, depending on what happens in them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
russ wrote:
Orangemoose wrote:

Fluxx suxx

If you prefer a game to have low variation in its average length, then indeed Fluxx does not meet that criterion.

Personally I'm not bothered by that. Many diverse games (including light games and serious games) can end quickly or last a long time, depending on what happens in them.

I agree with you and I know the Fluxx games are popular. We gave it a good try but it just drove us nuts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Wood
United States
Darien
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
To me, Monty Python Fluxx is a perfect marriage between mechanics and theme
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JonnyRotten
United States
Montpelier
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
And special mention has to be made of the Fluxx Blanxx cards. If you want to make the game less random and more strategic, add your own rules!

I hope you enjoy the "Play 0" and "Draw 0" cards I slip into your deck the next time I'm at your place.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
King of All Simians — Not a Mere Diplomat
United States
Wilmington
Select State
flag msg tools
designer
I love you.
badge
I love you.
mb
Myoman wrote:
To me, Monty Python Fluxx is a perfect marriage between mechanics and theme

Stoner Fluxx is even better. That sounds like a dis, and I'll admit that it could be taken in a backhanded way, but I've only ever played the stoner version of Fluxx, I played it as intended (*ahem*), and I thought it was a perfect marriage of theme, mechanics, and activity. I've since relinquished my glassware and my copy of Stoner Fluxx, and I just can't imagine playing it sober.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul M
United States
Elkhart
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We hate on Fluxx around here (and that includes me), but I'm pretty sure that anybody who designs any game would be very very very very happy to sell as many copies of his game as Fluxx and all its spinoffs have sold.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Viranga Ratnaike
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
A translation of my given names.
badge
I hope to replace the photo with a drawing of my own.
mbmbmbmbmb
I like Fluxx as well. It also has the distinction of being the only game that my sister was persuaded to play. She's usually quite clear that she's not interested in playing games. The icing on the cake was that she enjoyed it. So by this measure, Fluxx is the best game in the world
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Alameda
California
flag msg tools
...do not calle up That which you cannot put downe; either from dead saltes or out of ye Spheres beyond.
badge
Wicked Lich of the West
mbmbmbmbmb
Fluxx is banned from my play group.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Teverbaugh
United States
Anderson
Indiana (IN)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Too bad for your group. I feel sorry for them. don't like banning books or good games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wind Lane
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
RPGs - Natures way of saying "You would never be able to do this in real life." NOT A BAD THING.
badge
All the world's a stage, and I feel like the janitor.
mbmbmbmbmb
Jumping in awfully late here, but I've always found Fluxx to be a blast.

I completely believe that it isn't for everyone, but I've never had a bad game.

For me, the more fun strategy is to stop trying to win - who wins is luck influenced half the time anyway - so instead I try to see how much I can mess with the other players.

While it can be very difficult at times to win on your turn on purpose, screwing up the chance for somebody else to win is almost always available. And it's fun too!

You have to be able to enjoy what happens while you're completely out of control of your fate to be able to enjoy the game, so I'd put this one in the same category as games like Tales of the Arabian Nights, Dungeon Run, and Tomb - they're all games where you do as much as you can on your turn and hope for the best the rest of the time.

A lack of total control as a game feature is a good one - not every game should have it, but there are some that use it perfectly, just like Fluxx does.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark L
United Kingdom
Belfast
Northern Ireland
flag msg tools
badge
mb
I (nearly) always enjoy Fluxx too, though I have had occasional games that just went on and on and on. This can be mitigated a bit by removing cards like "Hand Limit 0" and "Hand Limit 1" -- they make it too difficult for anyone to get the cards they need.

I prefer Monty Python Fluxx and Cthulhu Fluxx (which is probably the best version as an Ungoal will almost definitely end it before it starts dragging).

But I don't think Fluxx is as unpopular as all that on BGG. About a third of its ratings on BGG (2372 out of 6961) are between 7 and 10. That's not brilliant, but it's not like nearly everyone hates it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.