Ed
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
badge
Wankel engine
mbmbmbmbmb
I mentioned to my brother that I plan to induct his 4-year old daughter into the board gaming hobby when they visit in a couple weeks, and he asked if I have any games for her that involve mathematical concepts. I have several games for her age, but they're all memory or dexterity games. Any suggestions for a game that involves math?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Helmut Frey
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I´d say there can´t be much math in a game for a 4-year old.
Adding up some dice or cards is the heavyest math I can imagin to work.

So maybe even Pickomino and Just4Fun might me to math heavy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sharon Khan
United Kingdom
Shefford
Bedfordshire
flag msg tools
badge
Games, games and more games!
mbmbmbmbmb
Magic Cauldron Game is the one that my children learnt basic maths from. The other game mine love is The Game of Life, which teaches a lot of early maths concepts in its handling of money. Neither are great games from adult's point of view maybe, but children seem to absolutely love them.

Oh, or any race game that involves two dice and adding them up. We have an old family game Motorway that involves throwing two dice and moving that many, with hazards etc, and it's great for their addition.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Williams
Germany
Duisburg
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
www.ormistonwhisky.com
mbmbmbmbmb
A few games my 4 year old, who is now 5, could play and have number concepts are:
UNO lots of numbers but no adding
Zooloretto collecting coins and animals
Carcassonne adding up the points for scoring.

Good luck

Matt
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K Septyn
United States
Unspecified
Michigan
flag msg tools
SEKRIT MESSAGE SSSHHHHHHHHH
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's just a deck of print and play cards, but you might be able to adapt something appropriate to your 4-year old's level: Four Operations Math Deck. There are a number of games for the deck on the entry page.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenny VenOsdel
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Pickomino is a good suggestion that teaches addition only.

If you want a decent game that teaches addition and multiplication you can try Masters Gallery but I think it will be a few years before she is up to that level of math skills.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dmitry Klyuykov
Russia
Moscow
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Snow Tails is a good thing to learn count from 1 to 10 with quick and fun gameplay.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bishop of East Anglia
New Zealand
Lower Hutt, WELLINGTON
flag msg tools
I'm, I'm afraid there's been a mistake. The man who has been speaking to you is an impostor. He is not in fact the Bishop of East Anglia, but a man wanted by the police. I am the Bishop of East Anglia and anyone who doesn't believe me can look me up
badge
Think of me as the Bishop of East Anglia
mbmbmbmbmb
My son at 4 liked Little Italy a bit of adding and subtraction but nothing complicated
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Imp Rovius
United States
Fairport
New York
flag msg tools
mb
You might want to take a look at Numbers League: Adventures in Addiplication. It also comes with rule variants that scale the difficulty up or down. I play it with the heavier rules and enjoy it as a multi-player or solo game, so it isn't just a "learn math" game. And younger kids can get started by just having fun mixing and matching the various body parts of the heroes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Janik-Jones
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Combat Commander, Up Front, Fields of Fire, Cats were once worshipped as gods and they haven't forgotten this, The Raven King (game publisher) ... that's me!
badge
Slywester Janik, awarded the Krzyż Walecznych (Polish Cross of Valour), August 1944
mbmbmbmbmb
Sleeping Queens.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
EuroPeon
United States
flag msg tools
I'm surprised no one has said Qwirkle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isaac Shalev
United States
Stamford
Connecticut
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Arcitecto line from Foxmind Games teaches spacial reasoning as well as engineering concepts like balance and fulcrum and so on. These are mathematical concepts, but not useful for doing arithmetic.

I also play blokus with my 4-year old, which does have some counting in it, as well as connect-four. Hi Ho Cherry-o is another good one for adding and subtracting, though I must admit I grow tired of it awfully quickly. Kids of Carcossone is a terrific game that combines counting with strategy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laurence Gillespie

Sarles
North Dakota
msg tools
The 4-year-olds in my life had great fun with Waterworks and Mille Bornes. Neither game requires any reading. The secret with Waterworks is to have the child check the number of cards laid down each turn. Most are quite happy to do this and in the course of the game this will entail them counting to 10 or 15 several dozen times. Scoring in Mille Bornes can teach them very basic addition, such as adding hundreds, and get them comfortable manipulating larger numbers. Number Jugglers is another great compendium of fun math games that the children I've played with have often opted to play in preference to other boardgames on offer, it includes some basic number recognition games that would work for a 4-year-old. Games involving the counting of money, such as Monopoly, are often popular with the young children I know, although I'm not sure they would work for a 4-year-old. Other games involving dice and the careful counting out of spaces moved on a board (emphasis on the careful, the child should be taught to count carefully and accurately), such as Sorry, also offer another chance to sneak some math in the back door.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David McCartney
United States
Delaware
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This may sound odd, but I use Castle Panic for math lessons:

"Okay, you have 3 cards and you need 6 total. How many do you need?"

"We've played 2 tokens but have to draw 3 more. How many is that?"

"How many monsters tokes are left?

etc.

Also, not BG related, but my son (4yo) loves They Might Be Giants "Here Come the 1-2-3's" CD. He's reciting lyrics and doesn't always get what he's saying, but they're a fun way to teach.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Hibbard

Middletown
Ohio
msg tools
Look into a copy of Shut the Box. We got the game for my father in law to teach my 7 year old sister in law addition. I will definitely pick up a copy when my son is a little older.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Fisher
United States
Fairfield
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My four kids like Incan Gold.
http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/37759/incan-gold

It is a push your luck game where you make your way through five temples uncovering treasures and disasters. Throughout the game you have to divide gems into equal groups and figure out the remainders. My children don't even realize that I am making them do math. devil

I usually take the role of a story teller (once I even had background music to add to the tension). After we flip a card, I make a silly statement about one of the players and then say "And (enter name here) said...." and have the player complete the sentence.

Good Gaming.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zack Boatman
United States
Tesuque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Can't Stop
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
badge
Wankel engine
mbmbmbmbmb
improvius wrote:
You might want to take a look at Numbers League: Adventures in Addiplication. It also comes with rule variants that scale the difficulty up or down. I play it with the heavier rules and enjoy it as a multi-player or solo game, so it isn't just a "learn math" game. And younger kids can get started by just having fun mixing and matching the various body parts of the heroes.

Thanks for the suggestions! This one caught my eye, so I got a copy and tried it with my wife last night in advance of our niece's visit. The theme, art, and mechanics all work well together to make this into a great game. We'll probably modify this to remove the higher numbered villains to make the math more do-able for her level, but I can see her growing into the full game and really enjoying it. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laura
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
AutismRecoverySystem.com Methyl B-12 Injection Therapy **It SAVED My Son**
badge
Tending the garden of my soul . . .
mbmbmbmbmb
DaveyJJ wrote:

thumbsup.......thumbsup.......thumbsup

This one is the perfect game for a 4 year old.

(We home school, and have found lots of great teaching resources in games.)

Good Luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CM Amidon
United States
Hancock
Michigan
flag msg tools
Isle Royale NP
badge
GO CRAWL IN A CAVE! When not playing games.
mbmbmbmbmb
DaveyJJ wrote:

This is my vote. Great gate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ICONOCLAST

Galt's Gultch
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When I was 4 or 5 I loved Uncle Wiggily. Draw a card, move the number of spaces it says - so you learn counting. They've changed the game a bit but my little niece and nephew enjoy it today.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.