Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bob T
United States
Mantua (near Woodbury)
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Limited budget so I really shouldn't blow money on anything (like everybody else these days) so I need some advice: Should I make Arabian Nights my next game purchase, or Fortune and Glory? Cause they're the two games I keep looking at online... (and Elder Sign, but that's only $30)

TotAN gets rave reviews on video, but seems to have mixed reviews in the Forums. My all-time fav game is Arkham Horror, another 'storytelling' game if ever there was one- but I also love the all-strategy classic, Pandemic. (If I got another modern-day strategy game it's be Labyrinth- but I digress)

I crunched some numbers: Arkham Horror has about 300 different encounters, adding a big-box expansion brings it to about 600+ short one-paragraph encounters; it's engrossing and hugely re-playable with the expansions. TotAN has at least 2000+ slightly longer encounters, with choices or different outcomes. I can't imagine the labor of love it must have been to design this game...

So whaddaya think: Arabian Nights or Fortune and Glory?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Universal Head
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
Professional creative visual communication: www.universalhead.com
badge
Game summaries and reference sheets: www.headlesshollow.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I did the graphic design on Arabian Nights so I definitely think you should get it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Hall
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
LIFEFORM - LATE PLEDGE NOW!!!
badge
LIFEFORM - LATE PLEDGE NOW!!!
mbmbmbmbmb

Universal Head did the graphic design on Arabian Nights so I definitely think you should get it.

They're both great games, it's more a matter of which do you want first?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Maroney
United States
Yonkers
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thoth Amon wrote:
TotAN has at least 2000+ slightly longer encounters, with choices or different outcomes. I can't imagine the labor of love near-cause of suicide it must have been to design this game...

Fixed that for you! Happy to help.

Yes, you should buy Tales. It's a hoot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Diz Hooper
Japan
Osaka
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I can highly recommend Tales of the Arabian Nights. The stories that come out of it are just hilarious.

And as entertaining as Arkham Horror may be, it will never leave you result in you becoming a crippled, wounded, sex-changed, beast formed sultan married to a princess. Now you tell me which game is about madness.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sheldon Morris
Canada
Fergus
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Four "Game Designer" responses in a row! they can recognize a good game when they see it.

But then again, I vote 'Tales' too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian
France
Lyon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Make it five
Okay I like both of them very much, both are great funny exotic experience games.
Be aware that it's difficult to talk about strategy in Tales though, although I'm one of the few who thinks you can actually forge your destiny in this game! On the other hand stories are more fleshed out and original (talk about an euphemism) in Tales!
In the end I would advise: go with the theme you like the most.
Not much of a help, the good part is that any way you choose, you shouldn't be disappointed!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thoth Amon wrote:
So whaddaya think: Arabian Nights or Fortune and Glory?

Tales easily. FandG ultimately is a standard dice rolling game, with lots of "I rolled 2 hits, take 2 damage. I rolled no hits, I'm knocked out". Nice components, but pretty shallow.

Tales is unlike anything else, and that's why it deserves a spot on everyone's shelves. The mediocre reviews are by the uber-competitive, who can't handle any game in which the goal isn't to crush your fellow players into the mud - "Wait, I'm playing to have FUN!? The point of the journey is not to arrive, but what happens to all of us along the way? Meh, all that counts is winning."

Worrying about who wins in Tales is totally missing the point.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Goldberg
msg tools
designer
As the game designer of "Tales of the Arabian Nights", among other titles, I'm unreasonably gratified by this thread -- and particularly Steve Duff's "Meh, all that counts is winning" pithy summary of why the highly competitive gamers who frequent this board depress the game's ratings because it's not the style of play with which they're comfortable. (As a colleague observed, it's not unlike crowd-sourcing the rating of a Jane Austen novel among a population of readers who insist on lots of explosions in their escapist reading. Of course, there simply are not enough explosions in "Pride and Prejudice", but a simple warning label on the book cover should suffice...)

As I'm a party at interest, I recuse myself from a reply to Bob T's query that started this thread. (That I haven't played "Fortune and Glory" also factors into that decision.)

Instead, I refer you to our correspondent Fantasy Quester:

Universal Head did the graphic design on Arabian Nights so I definitely think you should get it.

(And a fine job Peter did, too.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Stutzmeister
msg tools
Any news on a shipping date for the next printing?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keegan Fink
United States
Havertown
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well unlike the OP, I have no question about whether or not I should buy this game -- IM DYING TO PICK THIS ONE UP!! The problem is, it is either between printings / out of print. Does anyone know a retailer/shop/etc still carrying new copies?

I'm a little desperate, as my own searches have proved fruitless.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Stutzmeister
msg tools
Lugburz wrote:
Well unlike the OP, I have no question about whether or not I should buy this game -- IM DYING TO PICK THIS ONE UP!! The problem is, it is either between printings / out of print. Does anyone know a retailer/shop/etc still carrying new copies?

I'm a little desperate, as my own searches have proved fruitless.

http://boardgamegeek.com/article/8059935#8059935

It's supposed to be getting a third printing sometime this month

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Flying Arrow
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
UnknownParkerBrother wrote:

Worrying about who wins in Tales is totally missing the point.

I guess I'll be a voice of dissent. I thought I would love Tales, but I didn't like it at all. I didn't care about winning, but I did want to feel like I made meaningful decisions. Everything seemed random... like a choose-your-own adventure book where instead of "Option A: goto page 10; Option B: goto page 20" it was like "Option A: roll 1d12 and go to that page; Option B: roll 2d6 and go to that page". I exaggerate the mechanics, but not the feeling of just being on a random ride to create a story.

I haven't played Fortune and Glory, but it does seem like decisions there have more of a bearing on how the story plays out. I would have bought it, but I still hold out hope that Thrilling Tales of Adventure! will eventually be released.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick McKown
Canada
Spruce Grove
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I am not familiar with the other game referred to, but in my family ToAN is the family favourite--we've been playing it (in two editions) for 30 years, most recently when we got together last month over the holidays--four sessions of the new edition played, two new players introduced to the game who are now dying to get their own copies. It really is a great "experience" game in which every experience is different--highly recommended! I've even got our weekly wargaming group to play it a few times during our Summer "wind-down" from OCS, etc, and two years after they still talk about the time one of the guys got sex-changed in one turn, then got changed back the next!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zippadeedoodah
Netherlands
Amsterdam
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I own both games, have played them, and like both games a lot.

I like Tales of the Arabian nights quite a bit, but it can also be a bit cumbersome with the book of tales that has to be handed to and fro between players all the time.

Fortune and glory is just laid out on the table, with everything (lots and lots of card stacks) you need in sight/reach for everyone. It takes up more table space, but I find it a bit more accessible, or easier to get into.

You could say that both games 'tell a story'. In both games the 'story' consists of a series of unconnected short episodes (adventures or dangers). Tales is in essence more of an adventure story than a game. Fortune and glory is more of an adventure game than a story.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob T
United States
Mantua (near Woodbury)
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hugin wrote:
Four "Game Designer" responses in a row! they can recognize a good game when they see it.

But then again, I vote 'Tales' too.

Some parts of this modern age are really awesome- such as asking about a game and getting responses from the actual designers(!)

Flipping thru a huge unweildy Tome sounds like the clunkiest 'game mechanic' imaginable- but it sounds like somehow it all works and nearly everyone loves it, as long as they don't obsess on winning. So this is at the top of my "short list" for expensive games... IF I can ever find it...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
steven riola

joliet
Illinois
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My gaming group just picked this up and I was torn, art looks amazing, board is beautiful but mechanics worried me. This thread has sold me, an element of choose your own adventure, however random sounds incredible. We don't play rpg's often due to the time and frankly, we just have too many games (not really a problem). This sounds like a quick ride through an rpg with depth of story telling and some strategy.
Thanks everyone for the words on it. Looking do ward to gettig it to the table

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.