G W M
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
badge
Don't play in the street....
mbmbmbmbmb

I don't have a massive number of puzzle games in my collection, in fact the only one that ever sees any real table time historically (besides my beloved Rubik's cube of course, albeit this is a solo pursuit) has been Ubongo: Duel, which is a great little game, and one that recently made our list of games that would go in the suitcase if we were heading away on holiday.

Ubongo Duel is great - you both have a puzzle board and various pieces that you need to make fit within the prescribed two dimensional space. Nic and I have played this one quite a bit, and this is one we beat each other at, outcome usually dependant on who is the most tired that evening! That is, the wins are pretty well shared between the two of us.

Anyway, browsing around the geek, I discovered that there was...another...a Ubongo that made life even more brain-bending and crazy - and that was Ubongo 3D. I struggled to find this game in the US or Australia, but managed to find it from the Belgian chaps at Spelshop.be (who were great to deal with by the way) - game arrived a few days ago.

First up, despite reviewing the dimensions online, I didnt realise just how big the box is! - its not a major issue, just means this one for us may struggle to make the suitcase given its size! - I have snapped a pic to give you an idea of just how big it is compared to Ubongo: Duel ("that's no moon...its a space station!")

As you can see, pretty enormous! But man oh man do you get some good stuff in that enormous box! Firstly, let me say that the 3D puzzle pieces would rate as some of the finest components in my collection, they are absolutely beautiful and wonderful to handle in game play. Herewith an appropriate artistic shot of said pieces:

But...a word of warning. If you are a couple that argue over games, you may need to watch out for this

Thankfully, Nic and I have never been in any scenes from Scarface, so no worries for us in that department.

There is also a great book of all puzzle solutions which I suspect may get called upon from time to time. All the other parts are high quality (timer, dice, gem stones) and the insert is excellent.

One note - you will need to download English rules if you buy the game - a great set can be found here. We have not yet played a game with the full rules which involves various gem stones worth different points etc. We just barreled straight in and played some 'best of threes' which have all been great fun.

The four piece puzzles can be quite challenging, the three piece puzzles are quite ok we have found.

All in all, this is a must-buy for Ubongo Duel fans who are not space constrained with their gaming storage at home! - Seriously it is almost as big as a space station, but the 3D plastic components very much compensate for that (apologies for Star Wars puns this evening, my new Star Wars tie-fighter t-shirt from Addict arrived tonight).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dandelion
Canada
Halifax
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
Dandelion, Dandelion
badge
and more Dandelion
mbmbmb
great game, thanks for the review.

But you got me over excited about the size of the box...if it was huge, maybe I could fit all of the Ubongo games I have in there? Nope, not even close it turns out...it's really not a very big box, not even half the size of the FF coffin boxes. It's a little taller than the regular Ubongo box, that's all (an inch? maybe).

Ubongo + Ubongo Extreme + Ubongo 3D + Ubongo Duel most certainly do not fit in the box.

If I were going to take the on vacation, I would leave home all of the boxes. I tend to pack the components only for 10-15 games into a hard plastic container when I go on vacation--that way they're well protected, there's no box scuffing, and they fit into a suitcase.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.