Elder Sign» Forums » Rules

Subject: Terror: Discard all terror dice.Monsters. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dizdi
Greece
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The question is:If I complete a task on a monster but I fail the adventure do I kill the monster?
Also,what does the terror effect of The Loading Dock adventure card do?The effect reads:Terror:Discard all terror dice.
Thanks in advance!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H-B-G
United Kingdom
Halesowen
West Midlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes you kill the monster and pick it up as a trophy (or discard for other reward) when you have determined that you fail the adventure.

Regarding the terror effect. If you fail a task and roll 1 or more terror results, then you must set aside all dice showing terror in addition to 1 further die which you set aside due to failing the task.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Lawson
United Kingdom
Yateley
Hampshire
flag msg tools
designer
noom777 wrote:
The question is:If I complete a task on a monster but I fail the adventure do I kill the monster?

This is answered in the rules, page 11.
Quote:
If a player successfully completed one or more tasks on a
Monster marker (or a task which includes a Monster marker, as
in the case of a partial monster task) before failing to resolve
the Adventure card it is on, he still gains the Monster marker,
removing all dice from the marker, taking it, and gaining any
reward mentioned on the back of the marker. He does this before
suffering the penalties for failing to resolve the Adventure card.

So yes, you obtain the monster as a trophy even if you fail the Adventure card.
noom777 wrote:
Also,what does the terror effect of The Loading Dock adventure card do?The effect reads:Terroriscard all terror dice.

It does what it says

If you fail to complete a task and you roll any number ofTerror results with your dice, then you have to put aside all the Terror result (i.e. those dice are removed from your dice pool).

Example
The Loading Dock
Task A = Peril
Task B = Peril and 3 Investigation

You roll the 6 Green dice and obtain
3 Investigation, 1 Investigation, Terror, Terror, Lore, Lore

Since you cannot complete either Task, you have failed. You have also rolled a Terror result (2 in fact).

Therefore you now have to take the Terror effect "Discard all terror dice". Since you rolled 2 Terror results you have to discard those two dice. You are now down to 4 Green dice.

If you now want to make another attempt to complete a Task, you need to set aside another dice (because you just failed).

So, for your second roll, you only have 3 dice to roll.

Edit: In the example above, you may want to Focus the 3 Investigation die. You are allowed to do this since you just failed. It will mean that you are only left with 2 Green dice but at least you have one of the three requirements to complete the Adventure. It's a long shot but it would give you the best chance to complete it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Ball
United Kingdom
Nr Grantham
Lincs
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The only thing you need to remember is if you have added a monster to a card that as no monster slot it is placed at the bottom and if it is a card that requires you to do it in specific order then it is the last task.
We play that monsters are placed randomly 1st on all empty monster slots then cards without monsters until all have then double up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.