6 Posts

Revolution: The Dutch Revolt 1568-1648» Forums » Rules

Subject: Questions, questions.. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Keffin Vermeer
msg tools
Hi there,

In the last three days, I and a friend played Revolution twice, to see if it can replace Axis & Allies in our monthly game-weekend. So far so good, I can say. Though, we have run into some questions we have, I thought I'd ask them here, for many questions have been answered already looking at this forum.

Question 1.
After a gameturn, for example 1, the catholics have mastered the provincecard of Utrecht. During the next turn, 2, they are wiped out from there. Still, they own the prvincecard, which means they can place new pieces there unlimited, eventhough they have no piece left. Is that correct?

Question 2.
Phase 5, the battles between armies has past. In the commandblock of Zeeland lay 2 Habsburger armypieces. In the commandblock of Holland lays 1 Burger armypiece. In phase 8, army movement, the Habsburger moves its two armypieces from Zeeland to Holland. In the commandblock of Holland now lay 2 Habsburger armies, one Burger army. Will there be a new fight or will they stay here 'till the next phase 5 in the upcoming gameturn?

Question 3.
Let's use the example of the two Habsburger armypieces in Zeeland again. The Burgers hire three Waterbaggers, which they move to Zeeland. The Waterbaggers now exceed the total numbers of enemy armies (3 vs 2). Are both Habsburger armies removed from the board now, or do they defeat only one?
I know that if it was 1 Catholic army and 1 Habsburger army, only the catholic army was removed.

Question 4.
These next two questions are about Move within Province, which is a most-discussed phase I guess.
In Zeeland there are two Habsburger pieces on the countryside. Also there is 1 Burger piece. In Middelburg stands 1 Habsburger piece. It is there turn first to take action in the phase 'move within province'. Is it allowed for them to swap the piece in Middelburg for a piece on the countryside, so that the Burgers piece cannot take the town?

Question 5.
In Flanders there is 1 piece of the Habsburgers on Duinkerken and one on Tournai. In all the cities (Brugge, Gent and Antwperen) lay 2 pieces of the Reformed. When their turn is first in the phase 'move within province', are they allowed to take one piece out of a city and replace the Habsburg piece in Duinkerken with it? Maybe then do the same with the piece in Tournai?

Question 6:
Last question (for now, lol). The allegiance of citizens. Let's say the Catholics are first to put money on the tabel. They put three coins on Antwerpen. Let's focus on this city and forget what else they put their money on. The Habsburgers do not spent money on Antwerpen, but the Reformers lay down two coins for it. The Burgers also throw two coins in for this city. The rules say that the marker can't move than 3 spaces. The Catholics make the marker go 3 spaces to the left. The marker moved 3 spaces, so it is not allowed to move back?
Or, it can only move three spaces back (eventhough there has been paid for 4 spaces)?

Thanks a lot, everybody. Sometimes you feel foolish for not understandig the rules, or think that you do something wrong to run in a situation not discussed in the rulebook.

Many thanks!
Keffin.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rogier van Vliet
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Keffin, try to help here!

Q1
I have my doubts if this is possible. You will receive cards at the end of a turn, and if you dont have a majority (more then opponents and neutrals together) you get none or the card is returned to the stock.
Before the addition of new units, there is no opportunity to remove them. It only happens after the phase were the units are added.

Q2
Stick to the turn order, so wait untill next turn.

Q3
The rules say "eliminate the most catholic army" (6.7.1) so I guess only one catholic army is removed.

Q4/Q5
What I do is remove all the pieces in a province and return them in turn order. After every faction has returned their pieces return the neutrals to empty towns/cities/province.

Q6
Maximum movement is determined after the final shift. So keep it moving left or right till everyone has spended their gold and then check its maximum movement.

Hope these are the correct answers. If not somebody hopefully corrects me. It's a great game but some rules are indeed a bit confusing.

Happy gametime!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keffin Vermeer
msg tools
Hee Rogier, thanks!

Nice to see a Dutchman respond; gives me the idea to get some Dutch Revolution-fans together to play sometime. Since it's seems to be quite hard to find players for this game cry

I'll start a new game tomorrow with your suggestions. Thanks again!
Keffin.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave L.
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mb
I don't have the rules in front of me, but for Q1 - you have to have at least one influence piece in a province to place more pieces. If the Catholics have none, they can place none. If they have one and hold the province card, they can place as many as they have available to place.

And for Q4/5 - Steve has suggested that you can take the faction pieces off the board and re-place them in order, but make sure you leave the neutrals there. To answer the question, yes you can move the pieces of any faction placing after you (including neutrals who are placed into empty cities and towns last).

All the rest. I agree with Rogier.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rogier van Vliet
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You're welcome.

Good idea about finding some fans. I have also a tough time getting this to the table.

You can always geekmail me if you need another opponent.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Bachman
United States
Colonie
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Emile wrote:
I don't have the rules in front of me, but for Q1 - you have to have at least one influence piece in a province to place more pieces. If the Catholics have none, they can place none. If they have one and hold the province card, they can place as many as they have.

And for Q4/5 - Steve has suggested that you can take the faction pieces off the board and re-place them in order, but make sure you leave the neutrals there. To answer the question, yes you can move the pieces of any faction placing after you (including neutrals who are placed into empty cities and towns last).

All the rest. I agree with Rogier.

It is important to leave the Neutrals in place because they can not be moved back into a Town or City unless it is vacant. If they started in one of those locations, they need to be moved out by a Faction voluntarily.

Regarding the Water beggars, all of them needed to eliminate an army would disband, which makes it impossible to eliminate more than one army (which seems reasonable to me). However, keep in mind that if there was only one army with three Water beggars, one of the beggars would remain to prevent Military Influence for example.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.