Popular Tags: [View All]
Nicola Gambetti
Italy
Bolzano
flag msg tools
designer
And plastic for the Plastic Throne!
badge
No! This is not a board game, but Stanislao Moulinsky in one of his best disguises!
mbmbmbmbmb
Hallo there,
after pondering for long if I should or shouldn’t buy Battles of Westeros, now I’m just one click away from ordering it: yet I wonder if I can be content with the base set only or if the expansions (namely the Lannister and Stark ones, not the allies’) are a useful addition to the game or not.

By reading the threads and the few reviews I found under both expansions’ entries, I wasn’t able to understand if I could need them or if they’re just bling: I read they come with just a handful of scenarios each (and this game is played by the scenarios) and with the rules on how to use them in skirmishes, but I have still no idea how a skirmish goes in Battles of Westeros and if they're any good.

So, on the surface they don’t look a good purchase: yet are they deeply?

Thank you for any hint!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Dreske
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Short answer:
If you want to try the game, there is no need to buy those right at the start, there is plenty of stuff to enjoy in the base game. If you are confident you will like and play the game a lot, i would recommend getting the expansions, for improved flavor, more scenarios and general increase of possibilities.

Additional information:

Are the two wardens expansions worthwhile?
My review of the lannister expansion
Some discussion bout the lannister expansion

You might also check the strategy articles and session reports in the Wardens of the West forum if you haven't yet, they might help you to determine whether you want to buy
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cracky McCracken
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There is plenty of content in BoW to keep you happy Old Tom.

This exp (Wardens of the West) is the one i passed on because i didn't care for the new troop types. I've had Lords, Tribes and East for about 6 months and you know what? I've barely even used them yet.

I like the Skirmish Cards alot. I think other games of this ilk (Mem44, Battlecry etc) would benefit from this idea greatly. They remind me of setting up a tabletop minis game like Warhammer
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicola Gambetti
Italy
Bolzano
flag msg tools
designer
And plastic for the Plastic Throne!
badge
No! This is not a board game, but Stanislao Moulinsky in one of his best disguises!
mbmbmbmbmb
lannister4live wrote:
Short answer:
If you want to try the game, there is no need to buy those right at the start, there is plenty of stuff to enjoy in the base game. If you are confident you will like and play the game a lot, i would recommend getting the expansions, for improved flavor, more scenarios and general increase of possibilities.

Cracky wrote:
There is plenty of content in BoW to keep you happy Old Tom.

Thank you, Jan and Cracky, yours were exactly the kind of answer I was looking for!
I've just ordered the base game only and skipped the expansions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Falcon

Fords
New Jersey
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So as a follow up to the OP, I too am very close to purchasing this game. I was thinking that after getting the core set, and delving into it, if I was going to add an expansion, I might as well wait until House Baratheon is available before purchasing some of the others. Is this a sound way to go or is there one other expansion set that is a cut above the others and would be a good addition as well?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Dreske
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hu, depends on what you style of playing is, if you are a fan of special characters from the books, ... i guess waiting for baratheon is completely legit, but if you want to buy expansions, i'd go for the wardens.
Not just for being in order, i feel like they are a little better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eðvarð Hilmarsson
Iceland
Reykjavik
Reykjavik
flag msg tools
Cthulhu whispers to me when I sleep......
badge
Cthulhu whispers to me when I sleep......
mbmbmbmbmb
I would recomend the Wardens like Jan did, expecially if you plan on adding Baratheon.

The main reason is that the Baratheon faction is pretty much a core set house + their warden pack.

So depending on your taste of houses (and your playing partner/s), you might want to round out one of them before adding Baratheon.

The biggest factor would be your style of play though, if you are a skirmish type of guy (random unit battles), then you will want to go for balance (and both wardens). The good news is that if you like set scenarios then pretty much everything that has been released so far is very self contained.

We dont know yet if this is the case with Baratheon or not (how many, if any scenarios use previous content, if any). This is honestly a game that is great from the start though, the core set does not need any expanding to give you a huge amount of hours of fun.

Unless you are a huge fan of Baratheon (or have a playing partner that is), I would recomend going with the base set early and simply playing the hell out of the game before worrying about how to expand it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Dreske
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
At least the blackwater battle of Baratheon expansion requires wardens of the west for stages two and three, using pikemen and militia.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.