6 Posts

Tikal» Forums » Rules

Subject: Tikal (Auction variant) scoring order with ties rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Trip itaka
msg tools
Hi all,

Scenario: 2 players (in a 4 player auction game) have the same lowest score heading into the final scoring round. In the penultimate round player 1 (currently to the immediate left of player 2) plays the last hex of the game.

Who starts off the scoring?

Does player 1 continue? Playing a total of 20 APs in succession or does player 2 go first?

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Berthold Nüchter
Germany
Duisburg
NRW
flag msg tools
I am the walrus
badge
checkpoint
mbmbmbmbmb
Your scenario is not completely clear. I guess that players 1 and 2 are the players with the lowest score, right?
If so the game plays like this:
There are clear rules about the scoring sequence on page 13 of the English rules by Rio Grande Games:
"The players take their turns in reverse score order. Thus, the player with the lowest score takes his scoring turn first. Next the player with the next lowest score and so on until the player with the highest score takes his scoring turn last. If two players tie, the closest clockwise neighbor to the player who played the last terrain hexagon scores first."
Player 1 played the last terrain hexagon, so his closest clockwise neighbor with lowest score starts the final scoring round. This is player 2. Player 1 is not his own closest neighbor.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trip itaka
msg tools
thanks.

that was my real question. Are you your own closest neighbor?
Thanks for clearing that up.

Trip

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trip itaka
msg tools
The reason i asked that question? i was in the situation where i was about to play the last hex before final scoring (in a 4 person game). I had the joint lowest score in the game and wondered if i would play next or the other guy.

Turns out i was first in scoring.

So i am my closest neighbor!

I guess the rules are not that clear after all!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trip itaka
msg tools
I should clarify that i was playing this game online at spielbyweb. An awesome site!

So i am guessing that the coders just interpreted that final rule differently.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Berthold Nüchter
Germany
Duisburg
NRW
flag msg tools
I am the walrus
badge
checkpoint
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that the rules were not implemented correctly. The rules do not say "If two players tie, the first of them in clockwise direction, starting with the player who played the last terrain hexagon, scores first."
The rule is "If two players tie, the closest clockwise neighbor to the player who played the last terrain hexagon scores first." Nobody can ever be his own neighbour, so you must start with someone different from the player who played the last terrain hexagon.
I think the reason for this rule is making it more unlikely that a player may spend his last 20 AP in a row. If two players tie, the one of them who may spend 20 AP in a row has a significant advantage.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.