Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Carlos Garcia
Spain
San Antonio de Benageber
Valencia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I´ve just played my first game and I think it´s an awesome game, but I´m afraid that with more plays it will be a little repetitive, beacause it seems that the main strategy in the first rounds is to explore all the time. Someone who has played several times can gime his point of view on that?.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Ramundi
Canada
Cornwall
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a space exploration game after all, so efficient exploration is always going to be an initial strategy for every player. What's going to keep the game fresh are the different areas of space players will form with the (random) hexes they find, and their orientation/position in relation to what their opponents have done, not to mention the races they choose and the strategies they'll have to impliment on an ever-changing board.

The first 5-10 minutes of every random map battle of Age of Empires II (one of my favorite games of all time) had virtually the exact same start, but it's the mid to late game that made every match very interesting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Quinn
United States
Bradley
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with Jonathan. A big part of the early game is exploring.

But then, strategies will vary, or ought to, based on your species and its traits, what you have discovered in your exploration and what others are doing. There are all kinds of choices to make throughout the game,

The winner (not me) of our 4 player game last night game seemed to be doing "a little of this, a little of that" until turn 7 when he (green) researched monoliths. he was my neighbor to the right, with a fair sized miltary on our border. But I (blue)had built military as well, including 2 space stations in each of the two sectors where our empires connected, But my main concern at the time was a huge force including very enhanced dreadnoughts that had taken over the galactic center from another opponent (white) sitting opposite me. Focused on the Galactic center (I had 2 good sectors adjacent to it) I failed to give the proper attention to the fellow on my right (green)who had oodles of minerals and very good mineral production. He ended up with 6 monoliths at the end of the game (I had a couple as well) for an additional 18 VP which gave him the game. And the guy in the middle (white) - he ended up attacking the player to my left (yellow) who had weaker defenses than I did. I had the tech edge (I was the Hydran Progress with their research special abilitiy) but ended up in 2nd place. The conquerors of Galactic Center (white) ended up in 3rd.

I could have attacked the monolith winner (green) on turn 7 or 8 forcing him to build ships instead of monolths. But if I had, the guy in the center (white) may have attacked me (blue) instead of the guy to my left (yellow).

Bottom line: There were all kinds of different potential choices that could have reasonably been made in that game. Had these other choices been made instead, it would have been a very different game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
charlie riegle
United States
norfolk
Virginia
flag msg tools
mb
I believe you are only allowed one space station per hex.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antti Autio
Finland
Helsinki
flag msg tools
badge
Gina, Escher gang leader (Necromunda). Don't mess with her or she'll kick your ass.. actually, she's gonna do it anyway!
mbmbmbmbmb
skeezicks66 wrote:

If you are referring to Starbases, then no. You may build even all four of them in the same hex. They are just like any other Ship, except they can't move (and that is why building them in one place might not be such a good idea - the enemy might find a way around them!).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve W
Canada
flag msg tools
palmi8 wrote:
I´ve just played my first game and I think it´s an awesome game, but I´m afraid that with more plays it will be a little repetitive, beacause it seems that the main strategy in the first rounds is to explore all the time. Someone who has played several times can gime his point of view on that?.

You will definitely start the game going explore heavy. It's how you react to what you find, what your neighbors are doing, and what's present on the tech board that gives the game variety.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Quinn
United States
Bradley
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
aautio wrote:
skeezicks66 wrote:

If you are referring to Starbases, then no. You may build even all four of them in the same hex. They are just like any other Ship, except they can't move (and that is why building them in one place might not be such a good idea - the enemy might find a way around them!).

Yes...by "space stations" for defense I was referring to "star bases". Not to monoliths or orbitals, neither of which are defense oriented. I built monoliths well away from the front. I had pretty good star base upgrades but not much minerals at the time, so I built starbases for 3 minerals each so I would have enough minerals left to build another monolith for the VP's and still some defensive power on the front.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Eig
United States
Huntington
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Adding in the alien races makes a big difference - they each play very differently. I think just switching races will greatly increase its longevity.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timo Hohkala
Finland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
In power grid you always build the same power network, in Puerto Rico you always load the same gargo, In BSG you always try to kill the Cylons/humans. In Eclipse you always try to dominate galaxy.

Every game is in the same position i my opinion. It's not the goal, but road there that counts. Eclipse in my opinion offers much more options how to reach that goal, whether it's research, combat, expansio or mix of those.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antti Autio
Finland
Helsinki
flag msg tools
badge
Gina, Escher gang leader (Necromunda). Don't mess with her or she'll kick your ass.. actually, she's gonna do it anyway!
mbmbmbmbmb
I find there is almost unlimited replay value because of the modular map, tech availability and of course the different species from which to pick an mix from.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julian
Spain
Madrid
flag msg tools
badge
mb
palmi8 wrote:
Someone who has played several times can gime his point of view on that?.

I first thought that hexes containing ancients were a bad draw which hurted your development, and discovery tiles with techs were a no-brainer (always equip on ship). Now I see drawing ancient systems as a key to victory, and preffer to keep 2 VP from the discovery most of the time. With just 3 playes :P

Exploration now seems very important to me - you should really focus on it at the begining, i concur. But im start wondering that focusing instead on upgrading and triying to get to the inner (richer) systems would be a better start than trying to get plenty easy sectors.

It feels that a game can differ plenty to the previous one, so probably my thoughts vary over time...

PS: a couple grammar and speling corrections... excuse the other 53 errors :-/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.