Subject: Mayday vs FFg vs KMC rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris L
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Howdy All,

I'm just getting into boardgaming and was lucky enough to pick up a copy of Mage Knight. I want to get sleeves for all my cards but I'm not sure which brand to go with. The size I need is the 63.5 MM by 88 MM

I did some searching and it looks like Mayday has been having quality control issues so I'm thinking I should stay away from them.

FFG sounds like decent quality with some stiff covers that make it easy to shuffle. Price is 2.50 for a 50 pack.

I haven't seen many reviews about KMC and they are more expensive as well as slightly larger (64 MM by 89MM). Price is 7.50 for a 100 pack.

Thoughts?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Mehlhoff
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would go with FFG. I buy and love their sleeves.

Ever since Mayday has been doing "funny business" on BGG and having shady business practices I've stopped buying all of their products.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd
United States
Bridgewater
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
All glory to the Hypnotoad!
mbmbmbmbmb
You pretty much nailed the FFG vs Mayday argument. I've personally had 100% good experience with FFG sleeves, and 90% good with Mayday (one batch of bad Euro sleeves). At the end of the day it's a price check.

Never used KMC.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick
United States
Savage
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
I can't give you much info on KMC as I haven't used them, but you want the cards to fit snugly in the sleeves. I would think slightly bigger would be a bad thing.

Mayday sleeve sizes certainly vary within a pack and from pack to pack, but I've never had any major problems with that. The sleeves protect the cards and the cards fit well. FFG sleeves are definitely a higher quality sleeve.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Ralya
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Engine Publishing (enginepublishing.com)
badge
The Forgotten Bananas
mbmbmbmbmb
When I'm sleeving in quantity (like Dominion), I go with Mayday. I occasionally run across bum sleeves, but the price is so good that I don't mind. Never had any ordering issues with them.

FF makes fantastic sleeves, but all of the packs I've bought have had a 50/50 chance of being the right size or about 2-3mm too long. I've had FF replace an order only to receive the same mix of right and wrong sizes. I no longer buy FF sleeves.

My current favorite premium sleeves are Ultra Pro Pro-Mattes. Quality control is top notch, they look and feel great, and I've had zero problems with them. Over the long haul, I've used more UP sleeves than any other brand and always been happy with them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd
United States
Bridgewater
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
All glory to the Hypnotoad!
mbmbmbmbmb
Martin Ralya wrote:
When I'm sleeving in quantity (like Dominion), I go with Mayday. I occasionally run across bum sleeves, but the price is so good that I don't mind.

This is also a good point.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance
United States
Moorhead
Minnesota
flag msg tools
The coolest best thing I have ever done in my life is being a father
badge
The Dread Pirate Caleb!! (age 2)
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm the guy who just uses penny sleeves (when I actually do sleeve) and doesn't care much either way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron
United States
Ramsey
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Hey...
badge
Down here...
mbmbmbmbmb
FFG
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Francisco
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I usually go with Mayday due to price and yes, they do have the occasionally quality issue, but they have ALWAYS taken care of any issues promptly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Cookingham
United States
Poughkeepsie
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I used to buy Mayday, but I found that the sleeves starting sticking together when I played. I assume it is from the oil on my hands... as the other players rarely had a problem.

I have switched to UltraPro when I sleeve-- and they have been great.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenneth Chan
United States
Conway
SC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quality ranking I would put them in KMC > FFG & Dek Prot > Mayday

I've played competitive magic for years so having top quality sleeves was vital due to the value of some of the cards. KMC is what I used then and what I use now to sleeve my Magic Cube (over $1000 worth of cards). They are very pricey unless purchased in bulk.

For all my other board/card games FFG work fine for me. The colored FFG sleeves have a matte finish. If you prefer a shiny finish then I would recommend Dek Prot. They are both on par quality wise, so it's just a color and matte/shiny preference.

Mayday sleeves do the job fine and are very economical. I did have some issues with mis-cut sleeves, but they were very prompt and sent me out replacements within a week so I can't complain. I buy these in bulk when I see them on sale on sites like Tanga
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Ames
United States
Woburn
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll second KMC sleeves. You can actually get some good deals from Potomac Distribution (http://www.potomacdist.com/list.asp?code=4040). I did some research a few months ago when looking to sleeve my Magic cube. I haven't had one sleeve break or come out of the packaging defective.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chef D
United States
US Armed Forces - Americas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I third KMC, especially the perfect fit sleeves that fit the Mage Knight cards brilliantly. Mayday sleeves are really not that good: odd sizes, miscut, and milky look. FFG sleeves are manufactrered well but a bit thick and sharp on the edges. That and FFG sleeves make stacks really tall and slippery until worn in. I love KMC perfect fit sleeves.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris L
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Picked up 3 packs of KMC since the price i found was on par with FFG. Should get them in a few days. Can't wait to try them out!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Casey Nguyen
United States
Wallingford
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mayday is lowest cost, but man I am disappointed with them every dang time. I've wised up and started paying the little extra for FFG sleeves, they're quality.

If you go with Mayday anyway, go Premium and stay the HECK away from their standard thickness, they're awful
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Francisco
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with this. Premium Mayday is a big difference over the standard ones.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Loop
United States
Issaquah
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Never had a problem contacting Customer Support and having them fixing problems with either FFG and Mayday. Never comtacted KMC

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam O'Brien
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Even Cleverer Overtext
badge
Every time someone activates this overtext, it takes a year off my life. Hover often please!
mbmbmbmbmb
I generally use Ultra-Pro or Dragon Shield sleeves for everything, including when I played Vintage M:tG (with decks in the $4000+ range).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenneth Chan
United States
Conway
SC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dragon Shields are great as well. On par with KMC I would say, but in recent years i've noticed a significant reduction in quality in ultra-pro sleeves that has put me off on them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Manning
United States
Lafayette
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My first card sleeves (other than UltraPro for my Magic cards) were Mayday sleeves.. I used them for the Lord of the Rings LCG. They were horrible! I think I ended up throwing away almost 1 in 5 sleeves due to the sleeve splitting down the side. I took them all back to my FLGS and picked up the FFG sleeves. Wow, what a difference. You will have no complaints with the FFG sleeves, as long as you can find them in stock
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Boat
United States
Ankeny
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I prefer mayday for sleeping big stacks of cards. You'd think thicker sleeves would be better, but FFG sleeves will nearly doubly the size of a deck of cards, not to mention they're super slippery and tend to just slide everywhere.

Im also very picky about being able to fit cards back in the board game boxes. Mayday sleeves are so snug that you can almost always fit them back into the original holder. No throwing out your board game inserts!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Bolton
England
Devizes
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
nothing to see here, move along
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RhodesN7 wrote:
FFG sleeves will nearly doubly the size of a deck of cards, not to mention they're super slippery and tend to just slide everywhere.

This does improve after a while, but I use blackjack holders to support really big stacks - which works well for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Edelen
United States
Mount Orab
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
KMC Perfect sleeves are like a second skin for Magic-sized cards. A huge thumbs up from me. I used them the first time for Wrath of Ashardalon and was amazed how snugly they fit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Edelen
United States
Mount Orab
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
senorcoo wrote:
I agree with this. Premium Mayday is a big difference over the standard ones.

Yes, their premiums for 7 Wonders-sized cards are outstanding.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick King
United States
Berkeley Lake
GA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The issue with mayday outside of general customer service is really a taste issue. About 10% of every pack will not fit at all, and of that 10% that I consider to not fit, I think most people would say half of those do fit.

I would categorize them as not fitting because when you set a card flat,the card bows, meaning the sleeve is way too tight.

My biggest issue with mayday sleeves is the remainder that most people would say fit fine - they don't at all. Of the 40-45 sleeves left that the cards will comfortably fit into, there are 4-5 different actual widths and heights, differing by up to a little more than 1mm. This is a little nitpicky, but when overhand shuffle cards, any cards taller than the rest will clump together and be stripped out, always ending up together. This happens constantly in dominion with mayday premium sleeves.

long story short: company sucks, quality sucks, alternatives aren't tons more expensive, and are significantly better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.