Popular Tags: HoursOfEntertainment [+] [View All]
Scott Schelter
Canada
Bracebridge
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi-

I remember stumbling across an excellent forum post from a Catalyst Games employee detailing some of the problems that resulted in production delays for the second issue of the 25th anniversary edition. I am trying to find it again, but my google-fu is not very strong today.

Does anyone know the article / forum post / blog I am referring to? Could you post a link to help me find it again?

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian George
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's not so much that your google-fu is weak, so much as that it seems to have vanished with the standup of their new site. I just went over their site and couldn't find it anywhere. It was a post on the blog originally.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Richards
United Kingdom
Woking
Surrey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe this is what you are searching for *Shazam!*

http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,12255.msg291...

Regards

Craig
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hugh G. Rection
United States
La Mesa
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What you are remembering came from the forth post in this thread:

game availability, where to buy?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Windsor
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For what it's worth, I started remembering a computer game I played long ago with giant robots, and wondered if anyone had made a boardgame with giant fighting robots. whistle I then got on the Battlefront website to look at the 25th Anniversary Introductory set that has a "street date" of January 25, 2012. I went ahead and ordered it, and assumed that I was doing a pre-order. Apparently not, because I got a shipping notice and a tracking number the next day.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Bellevue
NE
flag msg tools
badge
mb
mwindsor wrote:
For what it's worth, I started remembering a computer game I played long ago with giant robots, and wondered if anyone had made a boardgame with giant fighting robots. whistle I then got on the Battlefront website to look at the 25th Anniversary Introductory set that has a "street date" of January 25, 2012. I went ahead and ordered it, and assumed that I was doing a pre-order. Apparently not, because I got a shipping notice and a tracking number the next day.

That doesn't necessarily mean anything. There are some online retailers that print shipping labels immediately for preorders, which can generate an automated message including a tracking number that can be misconstrued as meaning it's shipped, when in fact it's nothing more than the retailer getting a jump on things.

That being said, it's possible the 2nd printing is already in distribution channels. CGL is being very careful with their "street dates", given the frustration it can cause. Rather than piss off the relatively small customer base they have by being too optimistic, they've been rather pessimistic about it, giving dates based on assumed delays.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Windsor
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I would sure like it to mean something -- the sooner the better.

But now that I have your attention, I'll ask a noob question. I keep seeing recommendations to start with the 3025 mechs (or somewhere in that era), and that would coincide with the trilogy of books I just started reading. However, is there a list of mechs by era? It seems like I had to wade through the whole list on the Battletech site, and there is almost too much information out there to know where to start or how to use it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Bellevue
NE
flag msg tools
badge
mb
The various companies that have published Battletech, have published a series of books called Technical Readouts. These TRO's usually coincide with a specific year/era in the Battletech world. If you're looking for a physical book or reference for Battlemechs circa 3025, you'd want to take a look at the Technical Readout for 3025.

If you wanted to skip the part that requires you to spend any money, you can visit: http://www.masterunitlist.info/

You don't need an account to use the site. Just click on units.

You'll then see a page like this.

If you're not concerned with tonnage or battle value, you just need to input dates into the Intro Date fields. If you leave the first field at 0 and put in 3025 in the second, you'll get a list of all the mechs introduced from the first mech (the Mackie) all through 3025. If you want to know what mechs were mostly being used circa 3025, leaving out some of the earlier models, you can put in 2975 into the first field and 3025 in the second one to see the list of mechs introduced in that 50 year time span.

Note that based on the history of Battletech, there were still some Star League era (2750) mechs out there in the Inner Sphere, but the bulk of the technology from that era left with Kerensky when he and the bulk of the Star League Defense Force left the Inner Sphere in a massive exodus. As such, pretty much anything created before 3025 could technically be found in the Inner Sphere, but the 2750 era mechs had more advanced tech. IS factions scavenged tech and mechs where they could, but when the SLDF fled, they pretty much took off with all the blueprints. The IS wouldn't see that tech in big quantities again until the Clans invaded. The Clans being made up of the descendants of the self-exiled SLDF.

If you're playing with mechs from the Intro box set, you're pretty much set, as all of those plastic mechs are 3025 standards. All of them are pretty decent mechs with long lifespans. Some continue to be in use all the way up to 3085. The only two exceptions are the Thor and Loki Premium quality Clan Omnimechs that were packaged in little cardboard boxes of their own in the 25th Anniversary version of the Intro Box set. If you bought the box set brand new from a store within the last year, chances are it's the edition you have. If so, count yourself as lucky since you got the two premium mechs, as well as a mounted map and the most recent rules. I still recommend getting a copy of Total Warfare as soon as possible to open up the game beyond the Intro stuff.

All in all, I wouldn't worry too much. Battletech players tend to not get bothered by things like paint jobs or whether the exact variant of mech you're using the record sheet for matches weapon for weapon, the variant you have a mini for. If you want to use an Atlas AS7-D DC (the Draconis Combine Variant) and all you have a model for is a standard AS7-D (the version found in the box set), that's cool with most people. Heck, I've seen folks use minis from other games or little paper counters with the mechs name written on it, along with an arrow to determine facing. If I'm fielding 3025 era mechs and you'd like to field 3050 era mechs, it's cool with me, as it is with most players.

Hope this helps! Feel free to ask any questions you might have!

I'd also check out this post I made in another Battletech thread that is full of helpful tips and links to some great Battletech websites,resources and programs

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/6811311#6811311

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Windsor
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, that post (and the link) was helpful! Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Windsor
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
That doesn't necessarily mean anything. There are some online retailers that print shipping labels immediately for preorders, which can generate an automated message including a tracking number that can be misconstrued as meaning it's shipped, when in fact it's nothing more than the retailer getting a jump on things.

Good news in this case. My order through the Catalyst website arrived yesterday. Woo Hooo!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Bellevue
NE
flag msg tools
badge
mb
mwindsor wrote:
Quote:

Good news in this case. My order through the Catalyst website arrived yesterday. Woo Hooo!

Good to hear!

Hope you enjoy. The Loki Premium mech can be a bit tough to put together if you're not used to it, so feel free to look at pics of it on CamoSpecsOnline or just do a Google Image Search for the mini to see it assembled. The plastic mechs clean up nice as well if you take the time to trim the flash lines and such. Also, make sure you soak the minis in a mild detergent solution like Dawn dishwashing soap. This helps remove residual mold release oils from the minis so the paint will adhere better.

I don't personally care for the method they choose to teach the game where they ease new players into things. You might find it works for you, but don't be afraid to jump right into things, especially if you're a more experienced hex and counter war gamer. Most new players end up with a bit of tunnel vision where they get obsessed with one specific mech, as well as with mechs in general. While the aerospace fighter rules aren't the greatest I've ever seen (I don't use fighters for this reason), vehicles and battle armor are just as important as mechs, so much so that Catalyst has been stressing combined-arms tactics with many factions.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask in the forums, or add me as a geekbuddy. I'd be glad to help! I won't steer you wrong. Battletech is experiencing a much needed resurgence and you'll find most fans are as nice and helpful as possible, both because it's just the decent thing to do, as well as for the growth and betterment of the game. The more players there are, the more people there are to play against.

So good luck and happy shooting! Watch that ammo supply and keep your heat spikes manageable!

Brian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.