Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Allen Piazza
United States
Wilmington
Delaware
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Before anyone draws any conclusions, this is only the second time I am playing Global 40. So I have not drawn any conclusions for myself whether the rules and setup is broken or not.

Now our first game I was Japan. We definitely had some anomalies during that game which included UK Pacific/Anzac attacking Japan turn 1, Russians attacking Japan turn 1, and Germans not even coming close to destroying the North Atlantic British fleet.

Due to all of this, Japan was a powerhouse, taking India turn 3, all eastern Russian territories near Mongolia by turn 3, HK, Phillipines. By turn six, I had all of China, going up into southern Russia and through chinese territory to Russia, DEI, and Sydney. By turn 9 when we ended, the Allies had a foothold in Western Europe, however, the German/Italian player was rolling much better and made defensive buys a couple of turns before the Allies had a foothold in Europe. At the end, Japan also conquered Moscow and up in through the Middle East. USA just kept on getting decimated in the Pacific due to Japan (I) having as big if not bigger navy then them. So this was definitely an Axis win.

Now for this next game, I am the UK. The person that played UK/Russia last game, is now Japan (my wife). She is a very aggressive and unorthodoxed player so I am never sure of what she is going to do.

My question is, how should I approach playing the UK besides not attacking Japan until they attack me and such? And how to deal w/ Europe? The Allies and I already have a strategy together, however, it does not hurt to see what others say and open the door for other possibilities that we did not see. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Runs with scissors
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
The die is cast.
badge
You say OCD like it's a bad thing.
mbmbmbmbmb
First look at the Alpha +3 rules. They should balance things better, not that the axis needed any help last time.

With the British in the East, defend strongly, and after that make taking Asia as hard as possible for the Japanese by supporting the Chinese and threatening the Dutch East Indies. See if you can lure the Japanese into focusing on the American fleet.

In the west, sometimes the British play around in Africa, which helps tie down the Italians. But also look at distracting the Germans in Norway. Keep an eye on what the Germans and Italians get bonuses for and see if you can minimize those.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen Piazza
United States
Wilmington
Delaware
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cool thank you for the suggestions. I cannot say too much about my strategy that the Allies have devised because well, I found out my wife has been looking through these forums and axisandallies.org LOL.

As for Alpha +3, I have looked at a little of it, but I am really unsure about it because I just do not have enough experience w/ the OOB setup and rules to make an informed decision.

Keep the suggestions coming!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Chapman
United States
Powhatan
Virginia
flag msg tools
Axis & Allies Developer and Playtester; War of the Ring Editor and Playtester
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you haven't already done so, be sure to check out the Pacific FAQ and the Official Rules Clarifications for Europe and Global. Both contain important information for both the OOB and Alpha rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen Piazza
United States
Wilmington
Delaware
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Kevin! I did check out the Pacific FAQ when it first came out. I do not think I saw the Official Rules Clarifications for Europe and Global.

You know, I did have one question for everyone. Convoy disruption zones. My question is do you have to have a territory adjacent to the enemy convoy zone or not? That's how I took the rules when I first played Pacific. It was always confusing to me because then convoy disruption was not as useful as I first thought. shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Chapman
United States
Powhatan
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No, you don't have to control a territory adjacent to the convoy you're raiding. Only your enemy has to.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zeppelin rules!
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Does anyone have a link for the Alpha+3 rules?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Chapman
United States
Powhatan
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
They can be found here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen Piazza
United States
Wilmington
Delaware
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Appreciate the help everyone! =) Keep the suggestions coming.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen Piazza
United States
Wilmington
Delaware
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So just to let everyone know, we only played for like 6 hours. We started way too late because wife got home late, etc.

But it is not the type of game to really report because it was screwed up from the beginning. The German and Russian players made a pact to not attack each other and keep troops away from the front lines.

So that is what they did. Instead, Germany took London and Italy was actually stalled in Africa for the most part. Japan was crushed at the end of the game due to Russia going full on against Japan. Japan only had it's home territory, couple islands, and korea lef at the end.

With that deal in place, the Axis could never win. So yeah, it was not a worth while game at all. Odd.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.