Subject: I Have a BAD Habit! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Richard Ghilardi
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mb
No, it's not too much time spent in gaming. (Nothing wrong with that.)
No, it's not too many games on my shelves. (That could happen some day.)

Here's the deal.

I see an abstract (we're only talking about abstracts here) on the Geek that I like. I cobble together some of the bits and put them into the box of a store-bought game that has complementary bits or the right board. Months later, I open the store-bought game box and find extra bits alien to the game belonging to that box. What abstract game are these alien bits a part of? What was I thinking at the time? I know, I should have slipped a small card in the box at the time I included the extra bits containing a list of the games I expected to play with these bits as a reminder. But, you see, that's where my BAD habit comes in. I have done this over and over again. Fortunately, I have been able to deduce the unlabelled game from its bits -- until now, that is.

But now I need your help.

In the box that GIPF came in I have the following additional bits:
1) 12 TAMSK potentials - 6 white, 6 black; 18 DVONN potentials - 9 white, 9 black; These are sufficient (along with the checkers that came with GIPF) to play TZAAR (on the GIPF board) and Gyges (on a square board). No problem here.
2) 80 stones in 4 colors - 20 blue, 20 red, 20 green and 20 yellow; These are sufficient along with the GIPF checkers and board to play SiegeStones. No problem here either.
3) 6 blue poker chips and 6 yellow poker chips - I have no idea what game these are for.
4) 8 stones in 4 colors - 2 light blue, 2 white, 2 brown and 2 black; Again, I have no idea what game may be played with these.

Here are some of my suspicions.

The 8 stones probably need to be combined with 2 or 4 color-distinct pairs from SiegeStones for a complete set of 12 or 16 stones. Does that sound familiar to any of you?

The 2 sets of 6 poker chips (12 in all) may well be connected somehow to 6 pairs of stones, each pair being a distinct color. But I just can't be sure. Any ideas here?

I'd be much obliged if anyone out there can figure this out for me. I promise to be good (as all addicts do) and include name cards with all the bits I put into the boxes of other games from here on out. Your sharp rebukes will help me to keep that promise, I think. shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Riddle
United States
Oxford
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I got nothing. Godspeed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Det var bara en hake...
Sweden
flag msg tools
Help, I'm being held prisoner in an overtext typing facility! I don't have much time, they could find out at any m
badge
I'm that weirdo whose number of badges sold prior to yesterday Bail Organa is keeping track of
mbmbmbmb
Those exact components and a live badger are used to play my super secret homebrew design!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lang Bedang
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
FortyRock
badge
Beware of Rocks
mbmbmbmbmb
If this is a crafty challenge / scavenger hunt: thumbsup

If you're truly stuck, how about tossing the left overs into a new box and go there when you're missing something.

Otherwise, you might run the risk of forgetting which boxes have what extra parts when you're looking for them

You can also consider logging the abstracts in your game list (which is rather barren right now)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
p55carroll
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Don't hang around, 'cause two's a crowd on my cloud, baby.
badge
If I were to hang my head, I'd miss all the rainbows. And I'd drown in raindrops instead.
mbmbmbmbmb
You must be an engineer at heart. Your post reminds me of an old joke about surgeons talking shop: one liked to operate on electricians, because all the parts are color-coded; another liked operating on librarians, because everything is in alphabetical order; and so on. The last surgeon said he preferred working on engineers: they always understand when you have a few parts left over.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Ghilardi
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mb
Thanks to everyone for their responses. Most of you caught the humorous tone of my post and replied in kind. But the mystery of the unidentified bits is no joke. I feel as though I've lost a couple of good games and I don't even know which ones they are. soblue

Kaffedrake wrote:
Those exact components and a live badger are used to play my super secret homebrew design!

That's FUNNY. laugh

lajaro wrote:
If this is a crafty challenge / scavenger hunt:

If you're truly stuck, how about tossing the left overs into a new box and go there when you're missing something.

No challenge or hunt here. I suspect I'll be searching a long time before I figure this one out. Your suggestion is a good one. I'm gonna do that, yeah. I will also include a small card telling me where I found them (in the GIPF box).

Thanks for the engineer joke, Patrick. I don't think I've ever heard an engineer joke.laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.