Subject: Solo - campaign - Jihads in Schengen rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
karfil karfil
Poland
Poznań
flag msg tools
Hi,

could anyone explain, what are the disadvantages and risks for US of placing Jihads cells in Schengen area (Solo campaign)?

Many thanks,
Karol

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Willows
United States
Woburn
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There is no one correct answer. Depends on the situation.

Sometimes it is useful to get one in to the UK because it has a 50% recruit chance right next to the US.

Also, consider a US player on Hard posture with many untested countries in Europe. A single cell running unchecked through Europe could cause quite a bit of havoc (because there's a better chance of testing soft than hard). But also, this plan can easily backfire on the Jihadist player via a few unlucky rolls (unlucky for the Jihadist, that is).

Also note that if a plot that is unblocked is resolved in a SCHENGEN country then not only is that country's posture rolled but the same occurs in two additional SCHENGEN countries that the Jihadist player selects.

Again, if the US player is already on soft then you might not want to do anything at all in SCHENGEN.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
karfil karfil
Poland
Poznań
flag msg tools
thanks for clarification!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
karfil karfil
Poland
Poznań
flag msg tools
Hi,

to clarify: i play solo.

Please explain me that: I had 3 cells in Schengen countries and there were never used for plot and sth. else.
So they were totally unused for the Jihads and a little bit trapped in Schengen :/ I do not see any advantages for Jihadis in Solo to have cells in Schengen

I also do not understand how the troops can go to Philippines. I thought troops can only be placed in muslim's ally countries.

Thanks for clarifications!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Sherlock
United States
Anaheim Hills
California
flag msg tools
badge
Admin @ www.cigargeeks.com
mbmbmbmbmb
karfil wrote:
Hi,

to clarify: i play solo.

Please explain me that: I had 3 cells in Schengen countries and there were never used for plot and sth. else.
So they were totally unused for the Jihads and a little bit trapped in Schengen :/ I do not see any advantages for Jihadis in Solo to have cells in Schengen

I also do not understand how the troops can go to Philippines. I thought troops can only be placed in muslim's ally countries.

Thanks for clarifications!

Cells in Schengen often do sit around and do not much. However, the flow chart does give them the opportunity to plot, which can be very nasty and can change the postures of many countries simultaneously.

US troops can not go to the Philippines normally. However, the Abu Sayef card changes this rule while it is in play and allows the US to deploy there (it is stated on the card).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Willows
United States
Woburn
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In addition, don't be scared to take corrective action on the Jihadist behalf. I often feel like the solo game has gotten the Jihadist a bit out of position.

For example, if the Jihadist gets several US event cards at the very start of the game, there is often no place to plot in yet. So that would mean radicalization. Sometimes this can be bad for the Jihadists because it flings individual cells all around the map. 15 cells sounds like a lot until you see something like that happen.

So, what I do is to simply take over from the flow chart. If the chart wants me to move cells, then I'll move the cells that I choose to move (when correction is needed) rather than following the chart. Or if radicalization is called for, when you have a second OP available which means a move that is automatically successful, I do the same.

You could use such a method to clear useless cells from anywhere on the map, including SCHENGEN.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Sherlock
United States
Anaheim Hills
California
flag msg tools
badge
Admin @ www.cigargeeks.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Scrogdog wrote:
In addition, don't be scared to take corrective action on the Jihadist behalf. I often feel like the solo game has gotten the Jihadist a bit out of position.

For example, if the Jihadist gets several US event cards at the very start of the game, there is often no place to plot in yet. So that would mean radicalization. Sometimes this can be bad for the Jihadists because it flings individual cells all around the map. 15 cells sounds like a lot until you see something like that happen.

Having Jihadist cells scattered all over the board is pretty frightening. They can be doing things to threaten my position, and are like roaches, scurrying around and very hard to stomp out. Even worse though, is when the Jihadist pool runs out of cells, you face serious Radicalization effects. The dropping of governance can be deadly to US strategy. Watching your hard work undone because of Radicalization effects is quite disheartening.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.