Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
47 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

Hornet Leader: Carrier Air Operations» Forums » Sessions

Subject: Long Campaign - Iraq 1991 - Us Navy. Day by day report-as-I-play log. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gustav Åkerfelt
Finland
Turku
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Day 0

-Gentlemen, welcome to Iraq.

If you would care to take a look around the room, I will introduce you to your fellow pilots for this campaign.

Delivering the main payload of our wrath to the enemy will be our A-6 Intruders. Cracken, Extra, Mullet, and Chili. You guys will be in charge of the raw bombing and general flattening of our targets. Remains no higher then 3 inch is regarded as a "Good Run".

Covering you asses will be our F-14 Tomcat's. That means you Bison, Sparky and Teflon. You keep the enemy flies of our intruders back's, and we'll all be happy. To make this lot somewhat easier, I can already inform you that we are setting aside assets to guarantee you will be getting access to Phoenix missiles in more or less every mission you fly. And make no mistake, you will be flying a lot of them.

To help round things off, and to act like a all-purpose reserve, i direct you attention to our F/A-18C pilots in the back. Talon, Duke and Bear there will be filling any gaps in the line, and help save our collective bacon if tits start pointing skywards. You guys will probably be doing more bombing then dog-fighting, but will probably be called upon to fill both roles at some point.

And speaking of all-purpose pilots, meet your single purpose man of this outfit, Crunch. Crunchy-boy here will be flying out EA-6B Electric Intruder, and so be the guy to cry after when enemy radar starts lighting you up. He'll first and foremost be scrambling 9 kinds of hell out of our beloved enemies hardware, and when that fails, he will also be the first in charge of dropping HARM's on any and all enemy radar operated equipment. And as we all know, if it hasn't even got radar, it wasn't a high priority threat anyways.

This brings my to our grand old man. Telling you all what, where and how to do your flying, Eyes will be directing and controlling your every action from his E-2C. Our eye in the sky here is easily the most experienced pilot out of the lot of you, and I trust you will benefit greatly from his situational awareness, especially during these first days of the campaign, before you get your cloths warm.

Now that we all know who we all are, let me tell you a bit about what we hope is going to go down here. As you know we are on a limited supply, and have already used up a fair bit of our good faith just to get you all here. We are after all flying a group of pilots who has seen more combat then is average. I also mentioned putting aside resources to keep us set with Phoenix's, and we won't be skimping on the GBU's for our first few missions either. The plan also includes some extra R&R for you guys should you need it, and possibly for extra fueling when we start striking long-distance targets.

As the first targets starts lining up tomorrow, we are hoping for a spread that would let us fly a secondary mission, and maybe even a night mission if the weather is good. We want to hit the enemy hard and fast on this first run, to get a good jump on enemy Intel & Infrastructure. This should hopefully pay off during the long haul. As you get more experienced, we will try hitting more high-priority targets, and try to keep the enemy from getting their shit together.

I'll meet you all back here tomorrow for mission briefing, arming, and hopefully see you all back here for debriefing after the mission is done. Have a good nights rest pilots, you'll need it.

(to be continued in next post, once i play the first game.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul S
United Kingdom
Leeds
West Yorks
flag msg tools
DARK IN HERE, ISN'T IT?
mbmbmbmbmb
Good start, I like this style.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gustav Åkerfelt
Finland
Turku
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Day 1, Briefing.

- Have a seat Gentlemen, we have a big day ahead of us.

Recon have indeed managed to find us high-priority targets right off the bat. We have the location of the enemies central command, a target that not only would give us a good chance to cripple the enemies intelligence gathering machine, but the mere fact that it is operational will cause us a continuous loss of our strategic advantages.

We have also found a military laboratory, and if they in fact are manufacturing half of what we believe in there, hitting it would slow the enemies weapon R&D to a crawl. Targeting the right structures would require extra precision, so this would be quite a nail-biter, but great target practice.

Both of these targets are good and worthy, but pales in comparison to our last piece of intel. We have pinpointed a major weapons factory, deep inland. This production center is both heavily guarded and fortified. Needless to say, with both working command & control AND a heavy weapons plant, we are not in for the smooth ride we were hoping. As long as these targets are operational any and all headway we make will be instantly counteracted by the enemy.

So i think it's due time we announce our presence.

We will be hitting the biggest and hardest target we can find, the weapons plant. It will be a long, and i imagine, quite stressful flight just to get there, and the extra fuel you will be carrying means you will be short on payload. Very short, in fact. We are looking at the Tomcat's and Hornets carrying around 2/3 of max weight. Since we are looking at anything up to a dozen enemy fighters in the area, and heavy defenses over and up to the target, I will be setting you ladies up with an air-tanker priority. I will also be supplying you with twice the number of Phoenix missiles I would like, meaning we will be eating in to future mission allotments here. Let's look at the situation.

The initial recon suggest we approach from a Northeasterly direction, coming in high to avoid some of the guns. We'll try to make our way in and dive in to attack the target itself only just before we reach it. Those SA-11's and 10's is our main concern.

Cracken and Mullet, you will be bringing MK 84's to do the heavy job. We are looking at quite a sturdy main target, so that's your priority. You will also be carrying ECM pods and a HARM a piece. Hopefully we can take out as much as possible of their ground defenses in the initial volley.

Bison, Teflon, I will be loading you up your wingtips with AA ordinance. We cant be sure of how heavy the enemy fighter presence is, but we don't want to forced into a gunfight because we ran out of missiles.

On the off chance the bombs won't hit home well enough, or we lose a missile wing in the initial dog-fight, Duke and Bear will be our jokers. You will be carrying HARM's to take out the enemies worst guns when we engage. You will also be carrying some AA ordinance, if we encounter stronger then expected air resistance. To top it off, you be our back-up bombers. ECM's will also be loaded on all planes that can take them.

Crunch and Eyes, you will be keeping our boys alive. We'll be needing that situational info when we deliver our first strike, so we can coordinate a crippling punch before they get to much iron in the air.
So stay close to Crunch boys and girls, and we'll maximize the jammers effect. And if you paid ANY attention to the map just then, you'll agree it's needed. Eyes, you make sure our boys hit home and GET home. Just give 'em a light nudge in the right direction, ok?

As a last minute change, I will be exchanging a MK 83 from each of the F/A-18's for rocket pods. We might need them on final low approach to suppress ground sites still in operation, or to help clean said sites out. If push comes to shove, fire them at the main target.

Right people, suit up, and good hunting.

Mission Report.

The Approach to target went well. Our squadron rendezvoused with the tankers are planned, and avoided enemy contact en route to target. This due to the elusive flight path improvised by our pilots, to elude the enemy. As we came up on the target in a tightly packed high altitude formation, we were faced with increasingly bad weather. This proved to throw us off course, and upon starting our final approach we came in from the wrong angle, effectively changing the place of all enemy ground sites from our originally expected positions.

The target had 8 enemy planes in proximity. 4 MiG-25's 2 MiG-23's and 2 Mirage's. We targeted all of the 25's with Phoenix missiles, and brought 3 of them down before we even entered visual range.

Then the fight was on. Using the awareness of the E-2C, our pilots targeted and destroyed the last MiG-25, and took out 3 of the long-range high-altitude enemy ground sites. The enemies retaliation was thwarted by ECM's and suppressive AA-missile fire.

We kept high, and closed in to the northeast. HARM's targeted ground sites in order of range and ability to fire high. We took out both the Mirages and MiG's.

Things were looking good as we dove to low level to start our last approach. The Hornet's rocket pods cleaned out the last of the sites over the target.

Showtime. Both the intruders unloaded on the target. Good intel from our Eyes in the sky and the pilots bombing skill made a devastating mess of the target. We estimate the remaining height was approximately 2,5 inches. (See recon photo attached.) The rest of the planes saved their ammo for any unfortunate run-ins on the way home, and the squad disengaged the target, catching a lucky break and having a quiet return flight home.

Debriefing

- Welcome back Gentlemen, glad to see you all made it home in one piece.

First of all, congratulations on a mission well flown. You dealt the enemy army a serious blow, but don't cork the champagne just yet. The war is not won, and even now their central command is already working hard on pissing in our proverbial corn flakes. We also spent a lot of resources on this mission, something which we will come back to bite all of our assess later on, no doubt. Still, top notch flying, and if you can keep this up, we are well on our way to making this a particularly short war.

So I hope you all get a good nights sleep in, and I'll see you all bright and early here tomorrow.

Dismissed.

(More to come once i play the next mission)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gustav Åkerfelt
Finland
Turku
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Day 2, Briefing.

- All right gentlemen, settle down.

We have a busy day ahead of us, so I’ll get right down to it. It will come as no surprise to you that we will be striking the enemy central command today. This is another high-priority long-distance mission, so be ready for a tough fight. Intel has also located a battery of Scud-missiles stationed right on our doorstep. This is too good an opportunity to pass up, so we will be flying two missions today.

Crunch, you will be taking Bison, Talon and Extra to wipe out the Scuds. We are only expecting light resistance here, but we are going to try to take the entire site out with Maverick’s and disengage before the enemy even catches wind of us. There is a catch to this mission. Politics being what it is, we need you to avoid targeting sites in the approach areas. Fire only when fired upon. Another reason to strike our target from afar and not get bogged down in enemy gunfire, or worse, red tape.

Think you can handle that? Good. Here is the intel’s image of the target.

As for our main mission today, Eyes will be leading you on your first night mission. We are hoping to take advantage of the confusion of a nightly strike, and use this to lessen the effect of the loss of firepower incurred from carrying all the extra fuel you will need. I’m also banking that carrying out this night-raid will earn us some credit with the higher-ups, which in turn will let me keep you supplied with all that lovely special weaponry you like so much. Now there are extra dangers to this, should we fail to cease the initiative we might well find ourselves both outmaneuvered and outgunned. I am hoping we will be able to carry out a phoenix strike to clear the air, and disable the brunt of their ground forces before they even get to fire. If we can pull this initial shock-attack off, we should be in for a good ride.

Teflon, you will be carrying the Pheonix’s for this mission, and I hope you put them to good use. Sparky will be backing you up when the dog-fight begins, and Bear will be covering your rear. We are expecting anything up to a dozen enemy fighters, so be ready for anything. Bear will also carrying a pair of HARM’s, and if the situtations allows, will be clearing out high-priority ground sites as the Intruders approach.

Cracken, Chili and Mullet will be doing the bombing on this run. Your main payload will consist of MK-83’s, as they should be well suited to take out this target. We also know that the target is not a 100%, as they are lacking in supplies since we took out the weapons plant yesterday, so that should make your job easier. For the approach, you will be carrying HARM’s and rocket pods. Should we fail to cease initiative, don’t be afraid to use them to suppress enemy ground sites.

I direct your attention to the recon photo of the target area. Get a good look gentlemen, it’s not pretty out there.

Now I know that flying night missions is quite stressing, and the target we are going for is not an easy one. It is a calculated risk to do this as a night-fight, but unless we are really down on our luck, using Eyes intel we should be able to get of that all important first strike, and score a big one for the home eleven.

Right then. Crunch, get your team ready for takeoff in 60, and the rest of you go get some grub. I’ll be expecting you all to report here for mission debriefing once Crunch’s boys get’s back.

(To be continued)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gustav Åkerfelt
Finland
Turku
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mission Report : Scud Missile site

After a short and event-less approach to the target area, we approached the target from the South East. On closing range we identified 5 enemy hostiles. A MiG-21, 2 MiG-23’s, a Mirage III and a SU-27 Flanker. Our early Phoenix strike was able to down one of the MiG-23’s, but the Flanker eluded us. As we engaged into the dog-fight, we took out more of the enemy planes, but the SU was out of range. His return fire targeted Crunch, who was able to use his Countermeasures to avoid his missile. We started taking more fire as we closed on the Scud site. Extra got targeted twice by enemy sites and planes, but we deployed suppression fire and ECM’s to keep the enemy off him. Crunch used his HARM’s to keep a SA-11 on the west approach calm. As soon as we got in range Extra deployed all five of his Mavericks and closed down the Scud-site. Disengaging the area was simply a question of eliminating the final hostile, and climbing out of range of the enemy ground sites. The mission was a short, by the numbers strike.

Mission Debriefing.

- Welcome back gentlemen, well flown.

This initial mission was a complete success, and I congratulate you all on carrying it out. Not only did you scratch the target, you did it without upsetting the political situation. It seems the pencil pushers think we went a bit trigger-happy on our previous mission, and this run proved to them that we are all professionals. As you pulled this one off so quickly, you have earned yourselves some extra rack-time. You go enjoy that as our main strike force of the day gets ready to beat your score. Good hunting.

Mission Report : Central Command.

The attack wing approached from the southeast, at high-altitude. As radar lit up the enemy planes, we knew we were in for bad news. 3 MiG’s and a Mirage guarded the approach areas, and a pair of SU-27’s was running patrol over the main target site. Eyes fed data to our Phoenix’s but we were unable to target the flankers. Suddenly they were all over us. The SA´s from the target site locked on to Eyes and Bear. We expended Harm’s and deployed countermeasures to avoid them. Then the enemy fighters were all over us. Mullet’s ECM’s scrambles one of the Flankers incoming missiles, and Eyes barely managed to evade the other ones. When we finally got some fire of, we targeted the SA’s in the central area, but only managed to down enemy MiG’s, the Flankers cruising out of range.

We closed, and again the enemy found us before we got our bearings. A MiG-23 and a Flanker teamed up on Chili, and Sparky tried to suppress them. This failed, and we could only watch in horror as Chili didn’t manage to evade the Flankers fire. As his intruder went down, we knew we needed to close on the target fast, or we wouldn’t have enough firepower left to take out our target. Teflon engaged the enemy fighters with guns, having run out of missiles. Diving now, we took more flak from the sites, again before having a good chance to take a shot. Deploying flares left and right we dug in closer. Teflon managed to down the last Flanker point blank, guns blazing. As we came in over target, we finally caught the break we had been looking for all mission. The Intruders unloaded and successfully torched the target. Wanting to save all the ordinance we could to help out the S&R teams, we proceeded to disengage the area, avoiding further contact with the sites we left intact. The flight home was long and silent.

Mission Debriefing

- Sit down everybody.

First up. I have been in contact with the S&R team, and they report they have found Chili’s wreckage. It is my sad duty to inform you all that Chili didn’t make it.

There will be a memorial service held incoming Sunday at 11 hundred hours in the chapel. I don’t think I need to order anyone to attend. If anyone feels they need to talk about this, the chaplain asked me to tell you his door is always open. So is mine. Feel free to drop by anytime, and if not, we’ll be keeping our debriefing about this incident in three days time.

Now then, what went wrong?

From the flight recorders and mission reports, it seems we simply could not get on top of the situation, and to add to that, when we finally got clear shots on the enemy, they failed to hit home. The enemy managed to use the darkness in every way we had hoped to. They were well set up, and pulled off coordinated attacks on our pilots. We didn’t get to use our situation awareness in any way that would have noticeable impacted the situation. We were really flying against the wind on this one, and it seems Lady Luck was on her yearly vacation. We have two planes in repairs now with heavy damage, and a pilot K.I.A. Even though this mission was a success, and the target destroyed, I think we all agree we must do better.

I do commend you all for completing the mission successfully, under such pressuring circumstances. The loss of the enemies Central Command has crippled their organization, and we now have a much better strategical situation here. We will be continuing to bring the fight to the enemy, and until they managed to get their command working again, we will be taking every opportunity to end this conflict as swiftly as possibly.

To that end, we will all be back here tomorrow, and I’ll present you with your next target, and we will go and kick nine kinds of shit out of it. I will also be introducing you to Bug, our replacement pilot. He’s a bit green, but I think he’ll fit in well. I hope you all will help to show him the ropes, and make him feel welcome,

That’s all for now. Dismissed.

Eyes, report to my office.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gustav Åkerfelt
Finland
Turku
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Day 3, Briefing.

- Ok, listen up gentlemen.

First up i want to congratulate two of you on your promotions. Bison and Talon stand up and take a bow. I'm sure you will be in the mess bragging about being "real" pilots with the best of them later tonight. But be that as it may, time to get onto business.

We have done what we set out to do with our initial offensive. We spent a lot of resources and effort to establish an early strategic superiority in this region. We have denied the enemy the use of several of their key facilities that would actively and consistently undermine our operation. Now it’s time to start reaping the rewards of our initial work, and settle into the grind of driving the enemy back and ultimately defeating them. To this end we will have a change in our evaluation and selection of targets.

As we have established a decent strategic advantage, the targets effects on further intel and infrastructure will be less of a priority when selecting targets. Although still very welcome, we will instead be focusing on other traits. As the stress builds up, we want to keep as many of you as possible in good condition, and take that into account when setting up pilot rotations. Our next targets will be in close- to midrange, and less defended then our first selection, to give you a chance to catch your breath somewhat.

We will also be looking for high-priority targets to do as much damage to the enemy as possible, and overriding everything else, we will seek out and destroy any attempt by the enemy to get working improvements up and running.

Tactics-wise, we will be trying to break groups up into smaller units, to ensure you will always be in range to suppress enemy fighter’s missiles. The enemy SU-27’s has shown that they are quite capable of doing severe damage at long range. Although we know that we will have a slightly better position against them in the future as our intel will be able to aid us in avoiding them altogether. Of course this will dramatically lessen the usefulness of Eyes or Crunch if we spread out, so we will be evaluating our deployment quite differently when either one of them are deploying. But since nobody can fly every mission, you will have to start getting used to the idea of flying without their special brand of back-up.

Right then, onto the missions themselves.

We have two targets today that we will be reducing to so much rubble. Both of them are close by, and designated one medium and one light target. Our medium target wing will be taking off first. Duke, you will take Talon, Sparky, Extra and Bug, and take out a nearby Radar Installation. Preliminary recon shows only light presence, and since this target itself is an active radar-nest, you will be taking a lot of HARM’s along for the ride. Bug and Extra will be carrying MK 83’s and 84’s for the heavy duty work, and also rockets to help suppress enemy sites on the low flight in. Our Hornets will be very multi-purposed for this mission, and carry a higher then average amount of AA missiles. This mostly because you will only be bringing a single Phoenix, and we don’t want to get into a losing dog-fight should we happen to be facing heavy fighter presence.

I direct your attention to the recon photo.

As you can see, Talon and Bug, you will be coming in from the South West. Hopefully you can take care of the enemy fighters and sites from high altitude, and fly over the close defense sites, and dive on you final approach.

Sparky and Extra, South East approach. I trust Sparky will take care of any left-overs after our initial missile’s cut into the enemy air-presence. Keep the enemy planes of our boys. Approach via the south, Extra will clear a path for you, and then join up with our other bomber and strike the target.

Duke will be your flight leader, and approach from the north. You will be acting mobile reserve and go where the situation demands. If you need to, just get into the middle and keep the enemy suppressed as they close in for the kill. When you get back, well brief our other team for the day on as we debrief you.

Right then, see you when you get back. Good hunting.

(Continued once the game is played)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gustav Åkerfelt
Finland
Turku
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mission Report : Radar Installation

Take off and approach to target was uneventful. As we came up on the target we started to light up enemy planes on the radar. We counted only 4 enemy fighters in proximity. Less then we had anticipated. Then we get the call that we could request a cruise missile strike, and did so to destroy a SA-11 in the north approach, to clear a way for Duke.

Our Phoenix hit home, and took out the MiG-23 in the west approach. Just as we started to wonder were the rest of the enemy fighters were, we saw it. Shoulder mounted SAM’s!! The first one to appear was a SA-10 in the west approach, popping up neatly in front of Talon and Bug. And we knew there would be more and more of them coming on-line as we approached. And we were carrying all that extra AA-ordnance. Good thing we brought plenty of HARM’s for the main target.

We targeted the main area with our first missiles, and had to suppress the south area SA-10 to keep it off Extra, but we managed to clean out the target area of ground sites.

As both wings moved in towards to south to join up, another SA-6 turned up in the East approach. Not a good place, but fortunately not the worst of sites. Sparky fired 2 missiles at an incoming MiG and missed both. They were on us now. Extra got targeted twice and had to take evasive maneuvers to avoid the attack. Sparkys suppression attempts did not work out too well. As we tried to join up on the south while Duke flanked around from the East, a SA-11 came online in the South approach. Very bad timing for us. Sparky and Duke both got targeted, but their ECM’s saved them. Talon took out the last MiG, finally giving us some room to move. With time running out, we had no choice but to make a straight line for the target. Another SA-8B come online in the South. We could not believe our bad luck. Extra’s ECM barely saved him, but Sparky was not so lucky. Fortunately his evasive maneuvers managed to limit the damage to only being superficial. Extra dropped a MK 83 on the SA-11 as they passed, destroying it, and limiting the flak we would take over target. As we finally reached our target, we were out of HARM’s, a new S-60 turned up to the north of us, and we were basically just down to AA-Missiles and our bombs. Sparky flew interference and had to work hard to evade incoming fire. The stress was showing, as the Intruders unloaded on the target, barely destroying it.

We broke off the attack, and disengaged. On our return flight home, we found out were the enemy planes were. They were lying in wait for us, and we got ambushed on the way back. Fortunately we were carrying enough missiles to make our escape without taking any more damage.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gustav Åkerfelt
Finland
Turku
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Day 3, second briefing

- Good to have you back gentlemen.

Looks like things got a bit hotter out there the new had wanted. This time all those extra ground defenses soured our milk pretty badly. We are lucky we got away from it as well as we did. Good job. This reinforces the need for us to stay flexible when going on a mission. The enemy air force also pulled a fast one on us this time. Light over target, but sneaked up on us on the way home. Good thing the amount of AA-missiles we brought was sufficient. As for breaking up the attack, and coming in from different directions, it led to the planes coming under fire taking a lot more heat then average so far, and the others getting away clean. In effect, this would lead to some pilots becoming unfit much faster, reducing our overall readiness. We will be taking this into account when planning further missions.

Speaking of which, we have another target today. Yes, I know this will be your fifth mission in three days, and that this a very stressing pace. We will be cutting down on mission to make sure you guys get some good rest in. We will also be trying to rake up some softer targets for you gentlemen. The mission you are going on now is a good example of this. You will be taking out some enemy infantry formations in our vicinity. This should be a cake-walk for you gents, so I just might record it as a leisure flight.

Resistance is light, the flight is short, and air cover is nearly non-existing. Teflon, you will be on air-superiority and Mullet and Extra will take out our targets. Now I know you have been under some stress so far, but I think you should come out of this almost more relaxed then when going in. Flash in, cluster-bomb the troops, and flash out. As your Intruders can carry more of a payload then we need, we will be loading you up with some HARM’s for site-cleaning, and rockets for suppression. This way, even if one of you would need to disengage before reaching the target, the other will carry enough firepower to pull the mission off.

Have a look at our early recon of the target.

As you can see, barring harsh unforeseen events, we should be pulling of a win here and come out laughing. So considering our good friend Murphy, and his famous laws, be ready for hell on toast.

Good hunting.

Mission Report : Enemy Troops

As we approached the target area, we suddenly found ourselves over enemy AA-Guns. Diving low we used our rocket tubes to great effect, and made our way past them. As we began our run on the target, we failed to get a lock with our phoenix, and both enemy planes locked radar on us. We were up against a MiG-21 and a Mirage III, and they both lacked the range to engage us properly. The enemy SA-11 was no so hampered. Suppressing them with HARM’s was easy enough. Teflon downed the MiG, and the Intruders destroyed the center SA-11 and –8B.

We closed, and so did the enemy Mirage. Using good situational awareness, Teflon took him out before he had a chance to react. We deployed our ECM’s to dodge the incoming fire from the remaining SA-11, and the proceeded to take out both remaining sites with range to threaten us.

With any and all sites and planes that might have caused a threat destroyed, we just sailed in over the target and dropped a pair of MK-20’s on them. No hassle, no survivors. We just climbed and headed for home.

This is where Mr. Murphy made his appearance, and just as we though we were home free, we were jumped by enemy bandits in a really close range dog-fight. As we only had a single short-range missile, left, Teflon took a minor hit fighting them off. We touched down 40 minutes later.

Mission Debrief.

- Right then gentlemen, sit down.

OK this mission went well. We took out our intended target, and basically didn’t take any shit doing it. The damage done to the enemy is admittedly not great, but everything adds up eventually.

Now, we have stress levels rising in the squad, and we are not unaware of it. Some half of you guys will be resting tomorrow, and we will try get you all some extra R&R at some point. I think if we pull off another night-mission, the higher-ups will not have any problems granting that request. We shall see what Recon can find us for tomorrow. Until then, good flying today, get some rest, and we’ll continue tomorrow.

Dismissed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gustav Åkerfelt
Finland
Turku
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Long Campaign - Iraq 1991 - Us Navy. Day by day report-as-I-play log. Day 3/9
Day 4 – Emergency Briefing

- No time to lose gentlemen, so quiet down, and pay attention.

This is not the brief I would have like to give you, but we have a situation. Seems like some of our troops have gotten themselves cut off and surrounded. They are holding out for now, but the enemy is closing in on their positions. The enemy don’t have air support yet, and only light defenses on the flight in. The problem is the ground troops zeroing in on our boys position. They are well and truly FUBAR, and are praying for a miracle.

We are going to give them one.

Have a look at the situation.

Cracken, this will be your show.
We are going to approach the target from the NNE,coming in high.

I’m sending in a pair of Intruders loaded up with cluster bombs. Mullet you will be flying Intruder number 2. I need you to clear out the enemy infantry and pave a way out for our troops. Now this is going to be close quarters for all involved, so I’m choosing you guys because you are the most accurate bombers I have. You will also be carrying HARM’s to suppress the SA-11 sites and even a Maverick a piece, to deal with unforseens.

The enemy should not have any air-support to mention, but seeing as I trust that intel about as far as I can throw Manhattan, Bison, your loading up on AtA, and will be providing cover for this operation. We have no chance to predict what the enemy will have time to do before we get there, and I don’t want to leave any blanks on this run.

Talon, Bear, you will be going in as all-rounders. Main priority is ground sites, but I will also be loading you up so you can handle a dog-fight should the need arise. Not to play devils advocate, but you will also carry some MK-20’s.

This might strike you as overkill, but the fact of the matter is that stress levels are already high, and this load-out should allow us to deal with any situation even if one of you need to disengage prior to engaging the target, or take heavy fire on the way in over it. Worst case, we should be able to pull it off with 2 fighters out of commission.

We’ll talk about or actual mission of the day once you get back, right now, there is no time to lose. Get to your planes, and get our boys out of there.

Dismissed!

Mission Report: Close Air Support.

During our approach to target, Mullet started to get ill. Turns out he had eaten some bad chow before briefing, and it was getting to him. We knew this would mean we had lost some of the much needed precision we needed on this mission. Not too good a start.

As we came over our target, it indeed looked as if there were no enemy air presence at all. Maybe we caught a break for once. We then realized what the situation actually was. We had a long-range threat, in the form of enemy aircraft arriving at the area. Looks like they were sending in their own wing to do to us precisely what we were going to do to them. Our only fortune was that they were arriving piece-meal, and our wing was all here. The first to arrive was a MiG-21 in the East approach. As his range was fairly short, Bison got the drop on him quickly and downed him. The SA-11 both targeted Mullet, and since his ECM was of no effect, Cracken suppressed the attacks with HARM’s. As we got into good position, we let loose a volley of HARM’s, taking out all the main enemy sites, leaving only a ZU-23-4 in the East approach. As we were coming in high, he was of no threat to us.

As we approached, we kept a lookout on the sky for new enemy planes, but it seemed clear. We took out the ZU-23-4 for good measure and approached past his area.

Another MiG came at us from the west approach. This time a MiG-23. He targeted cracken, but Bison suppressed him. Bear took him out.

Diving in over target, no new air-targets approached. Cracken dropped 3 MK-20’s on the target and routed the enemy ground troops.

Mindful of the possibility of further air contact, we made another sweep over the target area, and as it turned out, a SU-27 came at us from the West. We quickly managed to out-maneuver him, and sent him down.

As we got the all-clear from our troops on the ground, we broke off and headed for home. Unfortunately we ran into another unit of troops headed for the same area on our return. The Mavericks came in handy, and we dispatched them without much trouble.

Good thing we came prepared.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gustav Åkerfelt
Finland
Turku
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Long Campaign - Iraq 1991 - Us Navy. Day by day report-as-I-play log. Day 4/9
Day 4 – Second Briefing

- Good work gentlemen, have a seat.

The mission worked out well, and I hear Mullet is recovering rather well from his food-poisoning. I’ll be having a word with the chef after this, and I’ll get back to you with how that turns out.

Now then, the mission itself seemed to be plagued by some bad luck, but all the extra precautions took care of it. I’ve had word from the commander of the ground-troops you helped out, and he sends his heartfelt regards, and congratulates you on a job well done.

Now let’s get onto our intended target of the day. Our original target is a POL-Storage facility, located somewhat to the north. The target should be lightly defended, and hopefully very highly flammable. Have a look at our current recon photo.

We are going to be sending out a fairly small wing to deal with it, consisting of Duke as flight leader, and Bug and Extra as bombers. Intel more or less guarantees us there will be no enemy air cover, so Duke will only be carrying a light complement of AtA to deal with any unforseens en route to target and home. The Intruders will be carrying 4 MK-83 iron bombs a piece, and this should suffice to take out the target. As for the approach, we are going with a standard spread of HARM’s and rocket tubes to suppress and destroy enemy ground sites from outside their range. As a 2 out of the enemy's 6 ground sites are SA-2’s with only a high altitude target capability, rockets should work well on them should the need arise to save on the HARM’s.

All in all, we don’t foresee any problems with this run, but as always, be ready for Mr. Murphy.

Dismissed.

Mission Report: POL-Storage.

Approaching the target area, we got an additional situation update. Turns out this target held extra importance to the enemy, and destroying it would set them back more then we had initially estimated. Further intel also revealed that the SA-11 site in the north approach was not operational, and as such presented no threat to us. On the down side however, we also learned that the sites that were operational, were actually moving into position when the original recon information came, and they were actually all on mobile vehicles. This meant that when we came in over the target area, all of the enemy ground sites were waiting for in the target area, and none in the approaches.

Our strategy remained unchanged apart from the fact we now needed to destroy all hostiles, instead of only some of them. The flight in was just a long swoop with HARM’s firing as soon as they got a target, and we took out all of the enemy sites without any misses. Coming in over target we had a bit of a set-back. As Extra started his bombing run, the MK-83’s failed to do much damage. The extra value for this target seems to stem from the enemy having fortified it somehow. The target was not even half-way destroyed when Bug started his run, and Duke was already lining up to make a rocket run should things come to that. As Bug’s first bombs fell, they again did only moderate damage, and we started to face the very real possibility of us simple not having brought enough firepower to destroy the target. As the last to bombs fell, Bug must have hit a soft spot, and the storage facility finally went up in flames. Relieved, we broke off and headed for home.

Mission Debrief

- Welcome back gentlemen, good flying.

This mission seemed to go according to plan for once. The problem this time was the MK-83’s under-performing so badly. We’ll probably be using MK-84’s for our next similar mission. They show a much higher assured damage then the MK-83’s higher possible maximum damage, and we want to be able to perform reliably rather then showing off.

Right then, this racks up a total of 7 missions for you gentlemen in 4 days, we have about a third of this stressed to the point it negatively impacts their performance, and as such will not be taking part in any missions until they have had a chance to rest up. I’ll be talking to the higher ups about getting a squad to cover for one of our missions, so I can set you all up for some extra R&R. And seeing how the kitchen owes us a favor, this will be a BBQ to remember.

But let’s not get ahead of ourselves. Tomorrow is a new day, and we still have work to do. I want everyone here tomorrow, even the pilots not flying, as there will be some promotions handed out.

Now go get a good night’s rest, and I’ll see you all bright and early tomorrow.

Dismissed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gustav Åkerfelt
Finland
Turku
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Long Campaign - Iraq 1991 - Us Navy. Day by day report-as-I-play log. Day 4/9
Posting from my phone to say : internet down. Day 5 played, will upload as soon as things start working again. Sorry to my 2 loyal readers for the delay. :)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan
United States
flag msg tools
1 Player hardcore
badge
Lone Warrior
mbmbmbmbmb
Give yourself some credit. You have at least 3 loyal fans. I just checked your thumbs for each session you added.

I name myself one of your loyal fans.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gustav Åkerfelt
Finland
Turku
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Day 5 – Breifing

- Good morning gentlemen, be seated.

First of all, we have some promotions to hand out. Bug, Extra and Cracken, stand up and take a bow. Well done gentlemen, you have earned these promotions over the last few days.

Now then. Onto the mission of the day. We have a bit of a tricky one coming up. We had a few good targets to choose from. An electronics factory, and a active SAM site among them, but we also ran into something more urgent.

Recon has found a small airfield, probably the one that was responsible for the enemy planes dropping in on us last time out. The presence of a functioning airfield, even a minor one like this, is a threat for our operations here. It means we will be dealing with more enemy air-patrols over each and every target we attack until we take it out. So we are not going to wait.

Have a look at the situation.

As you see, we are up against heavy AA-cannons in the target area, this will render our usual HARM-on-the-way-in approach useless. Fortunatly, another wing will be passing over the area before we get there, and they have promised us to lessen the defenses for us with a pre-strike.

Now we will only be sending in 4 planes, and as much as it pains me, I can’t send the team I would have liked. This is the first mission when the condition of the pilots have started to effect flight planning. So who is going then?

Extra, you will lead this attack, and we will be loading you up with some heavy hitters. MK-84’s for the dirty work, and a harm to clean out radar sites. Since air-cover is harder then normal to predict for this run, Teflon will be you main AtA man. I would have liked to send in another Tomcat, but as I said, pilots are short. So you will be taking Duke and Talon as backup.

Duke, you will take AtA-missiles and rockets. You will be in charge of cleaning out of the AA cannon, and add to damage over target if needed.

Talon, More AtA, and a Mk-83, just in case. The three of you will come in from the east, and Teflon will come in from the West. Teflon will be carrying 2 Pheonixes and a 120 AMRAAM. I’m hoping we won’t run into any Flankers, but if we do, this should let us take them out beforehand, or at the very least, suppress them until we get into range of our heat-seekers.

Right then, good luck on this one, and we will all be hoping you won’t run into too many unexpected events out there.

Dismissed.

Mission Report: Minor Airfield.

Flight to target was uneventful. Coming into radar range, we detected a pair of MiG-23’s over target. Our Phoenix missiles cut one down, but the other evaded the missile. Another MiG-23 was taking off as we started our attack. As we had the benefit of range on our targets, our opening fire consisted of Duke dropping a HARM on the SA-10 in front of us, and Teflon taking out one of the MiG’s with the AMRAAM.

As we came closer, Teflon used his superior situational awareness, and got the drop on the MiG. The MiG dodged his fire, and returned a salvo that was suppressed. The wing on the west side of the target dropped down to low altitude, to prepare for their rocket run.

As the dogfight carried on, the MiG got a good lock on Teflon. His ECM failed him, and suppressive fire was ineffective. Teflon took a hard hit, and lost his fighting capability. Talon was in range, and took advantage of the MiG’s dedication to hunting Teflon, and placed a missile up his exhausts. Duke fired a pair of rocket pods on the M1939, just barely destroying it. The way in was clear.

As we rendezvoused over the target, a hostile Mirage III took of. Talon engaged him to cover Extra’s bombing run. Talons ECM’s fooled the Mirages missiles, and he sent him crashing to the ground. Extra came down hard on the airfield, and reduced it to gravel and smoke.

We pulled up and out westwards, when a SU-27 managed to take off behind us. He locked onto Talon, who deployed flares to distract the missile. We failed to suppress the attack, and as Duke rolled into evasive maneuvers, the Flanker just rolled after him. We held our breath, as to our incredible relief, saw the attack bounce harmlessly off Duke.

We disengaged rapidly, and managed to get back home without further incident.

Mission Debrief.

- Excellent flying gentlemen, well done indeed.

It does look like it got a bit too close for comfort out there though. The mechanics are going over Teflon’s Tomcat as we speak, and they were rather creative in their language when the described the damages.

You will be glad to hear, that because of our success so far, we have been granted some extra privileges, both with ordinance for our upcoming missions, as well as a even greater target selection for our next run. Yes, I know that’s perhaps not the news you wanted to hear, but I’m guessing this is.

You are all getting some extra R&R.

Well earned too, I might add. The kitchen has promised to whip you all up a BBQ you won’t soon forget, and to add to the party, Teflon, Talon, and Duke will also be celebrating their promotions. Rest up well people, the war isn’t over yet, and we need you all back and aching for action.

Raise a glass for Chili when you’re out there will you?

- Dismissed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gustav Åkerfelt
Finland
Turku
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Long Campaign - Iraq 1991 - Us Navy. Day by day report-as-I-play log. Day 5/9
Day 6 – Briefing

- I hope you are well rested gentlemen, because we have got quite the day planned for you.

Recon has found us a great choice of targets, and with the success of our previous mission, we have the opportunity to strike two of them as we see fit. We also have all our pilots back to good fighting condition, so today, everybody is going up.

On the downside of things, we are running quite short on special supplies, and we have just passed what we assume is the half-way point of this war. This will probably be more of a problem tomorrow, because today, we aren’t going to be saving.

Targets we are passing up today include an enemy tank convoy, which for a long time was on the board because of its relative ease to award ratio. There was of course the possibility that failing that mission would have cost us more then we would have liked.
Then there is an AAA-site that although important to destroy, is not a high priority. We could also have performed a night strike against an enemy supply depot, but the higher risk we would have needed to take for a night mission, added to the fact that destroying it would not have set the enemy back as much as we would have liked counted that out.

So what are we going for?

We will be hitting the enemy as hard as we can where it hurts the most. Our targets today will be an enemy power station, and a large government building. We can hit these targets in the order we prefer. And we will be option to go for the power station first, as taking that out would greatly reduce the enemy’s infrastructure, and as such directly help us with the following target. Both of these targets are of high value to the enemy, and taking them both out today will really be a big step forward for the war effort. Adding to that, since both of these targets are so valuable to the enemy, utterly destroying them will wreak havoc on their morale. This means we won’t simply want to render them inoperable, we want to pulverize them. So we are gunning for sowing some salt in the enemy’s wounds, and I’m sure we all agree, they have that coming.

Now there is a totally new problem in squad selection today, and that is that all of you will be going up. So anyone not attacking one target will by default be part of the attack on the other. To further complicate matters, we could technically launch even more planes then we have, so one mission will be going in with a slot empty, as it were. We will also want to try to assign squad leaders with a good situational awareness, to help the wing out. Now the power station will have more ground sites guarding it, while the government building will have more air support. They are both approximately equally far away from here, so you will all be going in with the same weight limitations.

The choice is illustrated on the screen to your left.

If you want to look at that situation for a bit, and work out how you would like to see the squad divided, please do so now. Take your time, as I will be presenting our choice in a moment.

Right then.

The first decisions we made was that we would be splitting our “support” planes between the two targets. Our Electric Intruder Crunch seems like a obvious choice for all those extra ground sites guarding the power plant, and his quick target acquisition and skill should be a life saver. Equally, Eyes will be heading towards the Government building, where we hope his help with targeting and good awareness can help our pilots against the incoming enemy planes we expect to be stronger there.

As we have 3 each of Hornet’s and Tomcat’s we will be splitting them 2/1 on each target. As we will need more air-to-ground firepower to take out all the sites at the power station, coupled with the fact that we are expecting a lot of enemy planes over the government building, 2 Tomcats are going over town, and 2 Hornets are going for the power plant.

Our 4 Intruders will split their not inconsiderable payload 50/50 over both targets. This means that the government building will essentially be a pilot short, but if the power station falls, it won’t be able to take as much of a beating as the enemy’s infrastructure crumbles.

Take a gander at the squads, as discussed so far.

As you can see Talon will be in charge of our first wing “Alpha”, and as he is the pilot with the best awareness, this suits all fine. I also direct you to look closer at individual pilot selection, as with regards to skills. We have two of our quicker pilots in each squad. The squad that will be targeting the government building perhaps has a slightly lower average skill level, but Eyes should be able to offset that, and even raise the bar above our Alpha squad.

With that out of the way, we start our first mission briefing.

The long flight to target and our inability to provide you with extra refueling mid-air mean you will be going in sadly light on this mission. Recon shows heavily fortified ground positions, and anything up to 10 enemy planes in the area. As you are only getting one Tomcat, we will be trying to offset that somewhat by giving him half his payload in premium ordinance. 2 Phoenixes and an AMRAAM, to boost a normal AtA supply. We are really hoping for a bit of luck on our approach, because we are not carrying a lot of extra back-up’s on this one.

Have a look at Recon’s initial view of the area, and note the suggest approach from the north. We will be going for our now famous cluster-fuck formation again, to try to maximize on the radar-jamming.

Now I know you probably don’t like what you see, but here’s how we are going to crack it. Coming in from the north, means we will only have 2 enemy sites able to target us, and our pilots should be able to out-react precisely these two, and give them some HARM. Depending on how well the air to air situation is looking, our other hornet will either target a site a plane. The intruder will at least have to take out the SA-6 in front of you. This will open up the chance for Talon to go low, and deploy rockets on the AA canon later. This so we can deploy more rockets on the sites in the target area, once we run out of HARM's. If we manage to pull the initial run off, we should be able to get closer and out fire the SA-10 in the south, and start picking off sites in the target area. If push comes to shove, we might have to spend additional time in the approach area, to get our HARM’s to clean out more of the approach area sites. After this there will be no time to wait, and we will be forced to go in, guns blazing, and hoping we can get the job done.

If we make a fast run towards the target, Crunch should be able to use a HARM for suppression, and still take out a target at an even pace through the approach. Talon will only be carrying one, so he is cleaning with his rocket broom after that.

Note that the Intruders are only carrying 4 MK-84’s. This means it is unlikely you will get to pulverize the target, but it should be quite enough to destroy it. If you manage to combine rocket and even gunfire to strafe the target, then depending on how fast you get in there, it is still possible, if unlikely.

Remember that destroying this target has a large impact on the enemy infrastructure, and this will help out squad Bravo, in addition to the very real damage it will do to the enemy. So don’t think too much about the bonus objective, concentrate on taking the target out, and getting back in one piece.

I’ll see you all back here for Beta-squads briefing after you get back.

Good hunting.

Dismissed.

(to be continued once i play the mission)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruno Buss
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
Re: Long Campaign - Iraq 1991 - Us Navy. Day by day report-as-I-play log. Day 6/9
Paladin_fin wrote:

Coming in from the north, means we will only have 2 enemy sites able to target us...

Hey Gustav, one of yours loyal readers here

Just a little question if you don't mind, but I think that 3 enemy sites can target your squadron, no? Both SA-11 on Center and SA-10 on South Approach (South Approach -> East Approach -> NE Pre-Approach -> North Stand-Off, right?)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gustav Åkerfelt
Finland
Turku
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Long Campaign - Iraq 1991 - Us Navy. Day by day report-as-I-play log. Day 6/9
Hmm. Yes indeed, you are quite right there. Good thing then that i haven't started the game yet, and that i have my intel site-reducing bonus to help counter that.

Although i DO kind of want to use it on a possible SU-27, if they turn up.
....damn those SA-10's and -11's, making my life miserable...

But good call, thanks for pointing that out.

(and also, thanks for being a loyal reader.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan
United States
flag msg tools
1 Player hardcore
badge
Lone Warrior
mbmbmbmbmb
Paladin_fin wrote:
Day 6 – Briefing

Remember that destroying this target has a large impact on the enemy infrastructure, and this will help out squad Bravo, in addition to the very real damage it will do to the enemy.

It looks like you were planning on applying the infrastructure bonus received from destroying the power plant immediately upon destroying the plant.

According to the rule book:

page 6 Secondary Section on left column wrote:
Adjust the Campaign tracks after completing both missions.

If you destroy the power plant, you'll have to wait for the following day to apply the bonus.

Let me know if I'm interpreting your writing incorrectly.

By the way, keep the good sessions coming. Your writing style is enjoyable to read!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gustav Åkerfelt
Finland
Turku
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
After a quick check in the book, it turns out you too are quite right.

Both about the rule and my intention to use it to my advantage.

First up, since I have been playing it the wrong way from the start, how have this effected my campaign so far. Recon - not a problem, since there have been no new targets drawn between missions. Infrastructure - I know I have had damage points to spare on every mission so far, and since the increase there is slow, this should not have had any effect either. Now Intel. There MIGHT have been a miss-use there, but even as i do my best to recall, I'm not 100% sure. Since i usually take out a bandit if possible, I have used that since i got the option. I'm not going to swear on it either way, but here's to hoping. Worst case, i have targeted the wrong type of enemy counter, but even then, it would be max once.

So not good, but not too bad.

Thanks for good catch, and good thing I haven't played that mission yet.

Not that it helps my planning any. =) But I'm reading the rules that the infra - bonus doesn't do anything to help reach the damage amount I need to claim the bonus VP, I trust it will still come in with enough damage to take the target, but probably not the bonus. Time will tell.

Thanks for the positive feedback, much appreciated.

( Mission report for target 1 coming up shortly.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gustav Åkerfelt
Finland
Turku
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mission Report : Power Station

Take off went well, and during our approach to the target Talon got a greater situational awareness and mission insight from the going over the good briefing. We were in high anticipation of what the target area would be like once we got our first contacts. We came in high, in tight formation from the NNW. Long distance radar soon picked up 4 enemy planes. We had a straight flush of 4 MiG’s. A -29, a -25, a -23 and a -21. We locked Phoenix’s on the bigger two, but only managed to take down the MiG-29. As air-cover was lighter then we expected, we were glad to be rid the Fulcrum, and were just raising our hopes for the mission as we painted the ground sites.

Intel had been somewhat off for this run. On the bright side, there was a SA-11 less in the center, but they had missed several SAM sites. There was one more site in each approach area then original recon had shown. 2 SA-11’s, to the east and west, a SA-8B to the south and a Zu-23-2 to the north. This put something of a dent in our initial plan, as we now were up against no less then 20 enemy contacts, and that after spending our Phoenix supply.

Updated Recon photo below.

We knew the presence of all those extra ground sites meant we would not have to power to pulverize the target, and it was unclear if it would be enough to make it there and take it out. So knowing that every shot needed to strike home, we engaged the enemy.

Bison quickly locked on to the Mig-25 and -23 and brought them down with 2 well placed missiles. Talon kept his calm and used his good situational overview, to direct Mullet and Extra to take out the unexpected SA-11’s in the approach areas with their HARM’s. Crunch singled out the remaining SA-11 site in the center, and likewise destroyed it.

Having had the main long distance hitter of the enemy taken out before they had gotten a chance to fire was a good start, but the enemy was in no way neutralized yet. The SA-10 in the south tried to lock onto Bear, but his ECM scrambled the lock. Feeling he wanted to return the favor, and since he now had such a good radar signal to home in on, his return fire HARM to it out. Talon locked onto the last remaining MiG, and sent him crashing.

As we were facing more low-altitude firepower then we had prepared for, we knew we needed a new route in. Talon made the call to come in from the east instead. We needed to take out low-altitude sites with range into the target area anyway, and coming in low from there, we might use rockets to do some cleaning as we approach, or suppress to keep our bombers alive as they delivered their packets. We kept our altitude and headed to the NE pre-approach area, knowing full well this took us into range for the SA-2, and the SA-8B in the east.

Crunch managed to get a lock the SA-8B in the south and take it out before it could fire, but the SA-2 fired at Bear. He deployed chaff to distract the missile, and fired a HARM on it, taking it out. The local SA-8B locked onto Talon, but again the ECM did its job. Crunch could well have targeted the local SA-8B first, reducing our risks, but the moment of confusion had gotten to him. Good thing we came out well none the less. We kept firing on targets as soon as we could lock onto them. Extra missed the south area SA-8B, but we took out the west SA-15, and the Zu-23-4 in the center. There was still plenty of targets remaining, and we were rapidly running out of HARM’s. We headed south into the East pre-approach. The wing dived, except for Crunch who stayed at high-altitude to keep getting target-lock’s for his missiles. We knew this meant we would not have much time over target, so were instead became intent on make the single run count.

Crunch took out a SA-8B, giving a local SA-6 ample time to fire at Extra. The ECM’s seemed to be working perfectly today, and Talon went into rocket run to deal with the offender. His barrage just barely managed to disable the enemy site, but it was all we needed.

Approaching the target area directly now, crunch fired his last HARM to cut down another SA-8B to the south, while Mullet’s ECM saved him from the SA-6 to the north. Talon return rocket strike failed to destroy him, and we were now facing the possibility of having to use our guns to destroy the last sites, if not even the power station itself. Bear took out a SA-8B in the center, but Extra also missed the SA-6 to the north. This would leave more guns pointed at us during our bombing run.

As we fanned out to draw fire from our Intruders, we started our final run on the target. Bison attracted the fire from the north SA-6, and this time we were to close for the ECM to work properly. Mullet tried to suppress the attack, but they would not let go their lock. Bison rolled hard into evasive maneuvers, and Crunch was working to try to scramble their target acquisition from his Electric Intruder. Bison took a hit, but fortunately, it turned out the damage was minimal, and he climbed out of range for the site. The local infantry defending the power station tried to fire on us as the bombers passed their position, but for nothing.

Finally, the Intruders bombs fell. Great plumes of smoke rose, as the power station came crashing down. Perhaps not reduced to dust, but well and truly put out of service. As Mullet and Extra started their climb to high-altitude, Bear and Talon following their path raked the enemy infantry positions with gunfire for good measure. Bear’s salvo was only feet away from taking them out, but Talon picked up where he left of, and destroyed them.

More or less out of any form of firepower, we disengaged the target area, and fortunately had an easy flight home.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gustav Åkerfelt
Finland
Turku
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Day 6 – Second briefing

- Well I’ll be damned, you survived.

I must admit I was actually worried there for a second when I got the updated target information. So not only did you take out 15+ enemy sites and planes, you also managed to torch the power station. Well done gentlemen, well done indeed.

We did have some luck in that air-cover was relatively light, and good thing that, otherwise you probably would not have had time to engage all the ground sites as effectively as you did. We did know going in that an overkill scenario was unlikely, but the loss of that power-plant will none the less be felt dearly by the enemy. Updated intel suggest that the effects won’t be rippling out as fast as we would have liked, but will be fully felt within 24 hours.

As an extra bonus for your outstanding performance, you have all been granted some extra shore leave. This is not all unselfish of course, as it also means we will have at least half of our pilots well rested come tomorrow. And we might well need well rested pilots, as we are looking for a good target for a night-time strike. But let’s not get ahead of ourselves.

Beta squad, here is your mission for today.

The government building is slightly harder a target then the power plant, and we are expecting anything up to a full dozen enemy fighters in the area. To add to this, giving Eye’s status as add-on to missions, you will be going in a plane short. Liking the odds yet?

Have a look at our current Recon photo of the target.

As you can see, there are not too many ground sites, but 7 of them will be active threats for you as you go in for the bombing run. We will be assuming heavy air-cover, and actually going for a decent shot of pulverizing the building.

Here’s the set-up. We will be coming in high-altitude, from the East-south-east.
Eyes will be providing targeting information to you all, and more importantly, awareness of the area. We are counting heavily on his aid to assure the destruction of the enemy sites. Teflon and Sparky, you will be working overtime on this mission. I’ll be loading you up with no less then 3 Pheonix’s, and all the general AtA you can carry. Once you depleted your supplies, use your guns if you have to. Hell, poke a stick in their eye if you can, anything to keep the bombers flying.

Speaking of bombers, Cracken and Bug, I am placing my trust in that you guys can pull off your end of this mission. You will be carrying a few HARM’s a piece, and I want But to prioritize the SA-6’s there, as their stronger radar-signal output means they will be even easier to target. As you go over target, we have opted to try to go for a carpet-bombing of MK-83’s, and even a MK-82 per pilot. This means we are taking the risk of trading damage for poorer accuracy. But if you can land the bombs, they will do enough damage to utterly dust the target. As the enemy is reeling from our previous attacks on their infrastructure this week, taking the site out should be doable even if only one of you gets in there, but let’s not hope it comes to that.

This leaves Duke. Duke will be carrying a good complement of HARM’s, and a MK-83. Notice that our usual approach of giving the Hornet pilots at least some AtA missiles have been skipped for this mission. We are counting solely on the Tomcat’s to keep the air clear. As you might also have noticed, we have spread out the HARM’s over the group, to allow you to rain a constant hail of them down on the enemy as you approach.

Counting on Eyes extra target acquisition data, and your admittedly high bombing skills, you should destroy all the sites that can threaten you, before entering the central target area. Keep at high altitude, flying over the infantry in the east, and then dive into the bombing run. As long as the enemy planes don’t cause us too much of a hassle we have every chance of pulling a win out of this one, and show the enemy we will keep hitting them hard until they take the point.

As there aren’t a lot of back-ups or room for mishaps here, we are really hoping luck will be on our side for this mission. Eyes might be able to help out somewhat with that during the approach, with the early detection abilities of his E-2C. Let’s hope that tips the balance in our favor.

Good hunting gentlemen.

Dismissed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan
United States
flag msg tools
1 Player hardcore
badge
Lone Warrior
mbmbmbmbmb
Paladin_fin wrote:
Thanks for good catch, and good thing I haven't played that mission yet.

You're welcome.

Paladin_fin wrote:
Thanks for the positive feedback, much appreciated.

You're welcome again.

By the way, your photos have improved in quality since the beginning of your session report. Nice work preventing the glare from appearing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gustav Åkerfelt
Finland
Turku
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for that. Yes i won't try to hide I'm no photographer. I'm using the camera in my phone for the pics, so admittedly, I'm not trying too hard. =)

Off to write the next bit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gustav Åkerfelt
Finland
Turku
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Misson Report : Government Building

As we took off, we could feel the tension in the squad shifting from anticipation to eagerness. Time to go in Sierra Hotel, and make some noise.

Closing with the target area, the Hawkeye gave us detailed info. 6 enemy planes in total, but considering we came prepared for something closer to 12, this wasn’t too bad. Furthermore, our intel operative in the area manage to get a SU-27 in the area drawn away before we came into range, and that helped a lot. We were now up against a pair of Mirage’s, and a trio of MiG’s. As those MiG’s can really mess with you, Teflon targeted the -25 and the -29. Not wanting to risk ending up with a long range capable enemy fighter, should we miss, Teflon held back on his third Phoenix. He would still get the chance to take out either one before they could fire, should they evade our first strike. The remaining bandits were pretty short range, so we would need to close with them anyways before they got into range for our Sparrows. This all quickly became redundant as both the Phoenixes slammed home. Now they knew we where here, but could they do anything about it?

Recon photo of target as we engaged below.

The approach to the target was a slaughter. Coming in hot we dispatched any and all we targeted. Using the superior situational awareness, the enemy did not get a single shot off. As we passed over the infantry in the east approach, we had run out of HARM’s, and a single SA-13 remained to protect the target. As our initial AtA missiles had all hit, we still had a good complement of them, and now the Tomcats were joining our descent to make strafing runs. Eyes stayed at high-altitude, as we began our bombing run. For a moment we were undeceive about whether or not to save a MK-82 for the ground site, but decided to go for broke.

Sparky took the lead, strafing the SA-13 but failing to do any damage. Bug got targeting data from Eyes, and followed up with a bombing run good enough to destroy the target in and by itself, but we wanted to really hammer this one home. Duke took advantage of his position, and dropped another MK-83 on the target, mostly just throwing the rubble around. Eyes gave Teflon a good situational overview as he came in, and with this his guns hit home, taking out the SA-13. As he pulled up from his run, Cracken had a clear unhindered run on the target. As his bombs hit home one after another, it was very clear the enemy would not be using this building, and probably not the site, for quite some time.

As the target was destroyed, we disengaged and headed for home. We got early warning that the SU-27 was coming in after us, and had brought friends. We had several bandits closing in on us. Eye’s could have tried to plot us a different course and get us out of it, but as we took quick stock of our remaining AtA ordinance, we became confident we could take them on. It was an educating and victorious encounter. No bandits escaped.

Final approach home was eventless.

Mission Debriefing.

- Outstanding performance gentlemen, have a seat.

This mission really went our way. Maybe you came in a bit reckless, but seeing the results you made, I’m not going to be giving you any shit for that. This time. Now not only did you destroy the target, but I understand you destroyed the debris as well. The target could literally have been twice as fortified, and it would still have been destroyed.

You have sent a message to the enemy saying that limiting ourselves to merely disabling the targets we strike, as opposed to pulverizing them, is a mere courtesy.

I could go on praising this mission, but I’m sure you all noticed the applauding deck crew as you landed, so let’s leave it at this.

As for the mission itself, there is really not much to say. For once, everything went more or less precisely as planned. You took out enemy threats before you came into their firing-range, enemy planes were dealt with in order of threat, and apart from being a single HARM short to wipe out all sites needed, it was clockwork.

The only thing that was a bit of a gamble was using our intel officers distraction to get the SU-27 Flanker to disengage prior to the attack, considering that the MiG-29 Fulcrum is a even worse opponent. The thinking behind this was that if we divert the MiG-29, and then proceed to fail to destroy the Flanker, it would have taken you twice as long to fly into range of our Aim-7’s to engage him. So the MiG hits harder, but you could have dealt with him faster. The threat of a good quality enemy fighter at long range is always a big consideration when not coming in from several directions.

This will be especially true for your upcoming missions, as we have now more or less depleted our allotted share of high-end AtA missiles. More on this during tomorrows briefing. For now, go get some well earned rest, and be ready to out-do yourselves tomorrow.

Dismissed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gustav Åkerfelt
Finland
Turku
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Day 7, Briefing

- Good morning gentlemen, be seated.

As we are running short on supplies in the fleet, and we have almost used up our own allotment, we need to take this into account during mission selection and planning. Flying night missions allows us to increase our allotment, but none of the target recon found for us today is really suitable for a night flight.

We are taking into account that after yesterday’s really good missions, we can afford to lighten up a bit, and hit a less valued target today. We have possible targets lined up from the farthest northern regions, to right next door. There is for example this Barracks complex we located, that is providing training and support for both our enemy troops and tanks. Normally I would jump at a target providing a persistent use to the enemy, but it is located in a dangerous area, and we would be severely limited weight-wise. The good news is we can take it out at any time as a secondary target, now that we have the location. We also have a convoy, a column of enemy tanks, and a possible fighter sweep as possible missions. Going up against the fighters would otherwise be fine, but since they would come at us in a decent defensive formation, and we can’t bring any AMRAAM’s or Phoenix’s to mention against them, we are opting out of this one.

Something that however does fill several of our needs is the enemy command post we have located nearby. This is probably the enemy’s forward command and control, and I have been promised some slack with ammo limitation should we go in and destroy it. The target itself is only of medium value to the enemy, since they can quite easily rebuild it somewhere else, but let’s at least make them do that a bit further away from us. Got to keep the neighbors in check, after all.

Talon, you will be handing out the eviction notice, and you’ll be taking Crunch, Bear, Teflon and Extra with you.

Have a look at our current Recon-photo of the area,

As you can see, we will be coming in from the West-northwest, at high altitude. We are taking a small risk sending you in tightly packed, as we are only carrying a single Phoenix on the Tomcat. We are hoping we won’t be facing several good-quality enemy fighters in the East areas, as they would then out-range you and you would end up flying into fire. Intel suggest the actual enemy presence will be slightly smaller then presented here, with all the damage we have dealt to the enemy war machine so far. So Teflon you will be loaded down with AtA, and both the Hornet’s will carry roughly half their payload in AtA and rockets. The Hornets will also carry the standard ECM pod and a HARM to clear out the approach. As you go low for the approach, use the rockets to destroy those heavy AA-cannons, and if that fails, keep them suppressed while the Intruder deals the kill-blow. Extra will be carrying no less then 5 MK-83’s, and this should well suffice to take out the target. There is no back-up bomber on this mission, so keep him safe. Extra will also take a rocket pod for suppression purposes.

As you may have noticed, this target is guarded by some hard-hitting flak, that doesn't rely on radar. Usually we would clean them out with HARM's as we approach, but this time were are using Rockets. Mavericks was an option, but we preferred the rocket solution, as they will help to double-up as great suppressive fire, should we fail to take out their hitters.

Now as we might be facing anything up to 10 enemy fighters, we might have to split up sending the dog-fight capable planes in first, and give Crunch and Extra cover. Drawing fire in this way will of course mean you will not benefit from the Electric Intruders target scramblers, so use your judgment as to what the situation needs.

If you pull this one off, we will have enough special weapons allotment left, to at least supply you with a minimum for the mission to come.

Good hunting gentlemen.

Dismissed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gustav Åkerfelt
Finland
Turku
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Long Campaign - Iraq 1991 - Us Navy. Day by day report-as-I-play log. Day 7/9
oh bugger,...

I REALLY need to read the rules better,... but who knows,.. maybe in a campaign or three I'll start to get it right.

I seem to have been playing Situational Awareness wrong. I have been playing it that it allows you to shift from slow to fast attack, but it's actually to attack in BOTH slow and fast step. blush

Oh well... serves me right for playing from memory.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.