Subject: Endowment For the arts rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Asger Kreiner-Møller
Denmark
København Ø
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have now played with the expansion a couple of times and I have a feeling that the endowment for the arts is really really strong and maybe too strong. Investing a coin early easily nets you 15-20 culture tokens. The problem of going culture is usually not to get enough culture tokens but the right balance between culture and trade. I find that it is not worth investing the 4th and 5th coin into this investment to only get a higher culture hand limit.

In the last game I played I was Arabia and in turn 8 I only needed two spaces on the culture track and had 39 culture tokens and 27 trade at my disposal. And this was when we had nerfed endowment for the arts to cost 2/4/6 coins instead of 1/3/5 coins. We had also agreed on nerfing the Great People wonder to only give one great person instead of two and I got the relic on turn 2. If we had played without these nerfs I might have won by turn 7!
This game was a bit extreme and was not really contested on military. My culture cards easily kept my enemies at bay.

Could the strength for endowment to the arts be reduced by changing it to:
1 coin: +1 culture handsize
3 coins: +1 culture handsize, Culture track cost reduced by 1 culture token
5: coins: +1 culture handsize, Culture track cost reduced by 2 culture tokens

This way it would still be worthwile investing in it, but decreases strength of it and slows the culture advancement a bit.

What are your thoughts on this investment?

Edit: Spelling
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean D.
Canada
Langley
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think Cultural victories need all the help they can get. Arabia is probably the best Civ to take advantage of Cultural Victory. There are counters to it winning, without knowing the details of your game I think your opponents failed to do so properly. I think with more games played, it will force other players to think creatively to counter this culture strategy. Just my 2 coppers. Cheers!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel B
Sweden
Kungsbacka
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As you can see in the PBF games, winning on turn 7 or 8 isn't unusual (5 out of 18 games):
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/wiki/page/Civ_PBF#toc11

I can't imagine that the expansion makes the games last more turns (stuff like getting a free great person on your second turn with the best civ should make it easy...)

"Proof" of Arabia's supremacy: http://boardgamegeek.com/article/8163473#8163473

Unbalanced? Yes! But now your gaming group knows that if one player has Arabia and gets a relic right from the start, they probably want to cooperate a bit to slow him down.

I see nothing wrong with a turn 7 cultural win with Arabia.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate
United States
Essex Junction
Vermont
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I never found endowment for the arts to be OP. You're giving up potential for other investments or 1 trade each turn for every coin on it. I'm usually limited more by trade than culture tokens when I get towards the end of the track.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.