Battlestar Galactica: The Board Game» Forums » Rules

Subject: Investigative Committee use rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Archon286 Brad
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
Hi! I'm a new owner of the BSG board game, and I've played through it solo 'dry run' style before introducing it to my friends to familiarize myself with the rules. (we all hate the wasted time of us all listening to someone else read a rulebook for the first time) Heck, this game is kinda fun as a 1P experience.

Anyways, my question regards exactly HOW skill cards are played with Investigative Committee. Normally without that card in play, you might ask your fellow players if they can help, let's say they say yes but the Destiny deck mucks things up and you fall a couple points short. you failed the check.

With Investigative Committee out, player 1 plays his 3 cards, player 2 plays 2 cards, player 3 says 'I don't have enough to make the skill check succeed.' Can Player 1 add additional cards? When do the Destiny cards get revealed? Can cards be added after they are revealed? Is it important what order players add cards? (people might be hesitant to add first and under/over contribute)

Thanks! I think I have 99% of this game figured out, but on this point I'm quite confused.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Berger
United States
Round Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, the order is always important, with or without Investigative Committee. The person to the left of the active player contributes first, then clockwise around the table and finally the active player get the last chance to contribute. It can make a big difference to how many cards you put in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Archon286 wrote:
Hi! I'm a new owner of the BSG board game, and I've played through it solo 'dry run' style before introducing it to my friends to familiarize myself with the rules. (we all hate the wasted time of us all listening to someone else read a rulebook for the first time) Heck, this game is kinda fun as a 1P experience.

Anyways, my question regards exactly HOW skill cards are played with Investigative Committee. Normally without that card in play, you might ask your fellow players if they can help, let's say they say yes but the Destiny deck mucks things up and you fall a couple points short. you failed the check.

With Investigative Committee out, player 1 plays his 3 cards, player 2 plays 2 cards, player 3 says 'I don't have enough to make the skill check succeed.' Can Player 1 add additional cards? When do the Destiny cards get revealed? Can cards be added after they are revealed? Is it important what order players add cards? (people might be hesitant to add first and under/over contribute)

Thanks! I think I have 99% of this game figured out, but on this point I'm quite confused.

All IC changes is that cards are played face up instead of in secret. You still must play in turn order (starting with the person to the left of the current player). You must play all the cards that you want to when it comes to you. You cannot add after someone else has or hasn't gone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Archon286 Brad
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
Thanks to both of you.

That must have been a point I missed, that cards are added in skill check in player turn order. (seeing as I'm playing as a single person seeing all hands right now, I can see how I did that yuk)

I'm happy to see an active community for the game here. I look forward to contributing in the future!

Edit: re-reading my post, I should probably put quotes around 99%. if I missed this, then the number is probably closer to 60%.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tor Sverre Lund
Norway
Trondheim
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Get the FAQ, if you haven't already :)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
http://www.destructoid.com/author.phtml?a=1364
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Destiny always gets added first, with or without an Investigative Committee.

A lot of times, you will play an Investigative Committee to see what Destiny put in, and then make a decision as a group whether to play or tank. If Destiny throws in two high negative cards, then you'll all know it and you can save your cards. Conversely, if Destiny throws in two high positive cards, you can pass the check with minimal effort.

Order of contributing is actually very important. More important than you may realize initially. The person with the most power over the check is the current player, as he (presumably) just drew his five cards, and he is last to contribute. However, as it will be another four or five turns before it gets to him again, it's dangerous for him to openly spike, as he is likely to be brigged before he gets another chance to act. On the other hand, the player to the current player's left has the best opportunity to spike and then do something bad on his turn, but as he is first to contribute and probably has few cards, the other players can likely make up for any damage he does.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cesar Puga
Brazil
FLORIANOPOLIS
SC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, the cards from Destiny come first and if you are using the Investigative Committee from the Base Game, they should be revealed before the first player contributes.

This is very useful since you can avoid going for a skill check when Destiny is harsh on you (and the other way around).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
United States
Midlothian
Virginia
flag msg tools
Man is most nearly himself when he achieves...
badge
We don’t stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.
mbmbmbmbmb
As I understand it, too, it's best to wait a beat before anyone signals if they're going to help to maintain the proper order, to give a player with IC a chance to play it. If not, then a player could say, "I'll help," then the IC card is played and they they're stuck obviously only being able to "help" with "wrong color" sabotaging cards. Then someone would be outed unfairly just because the sequence wasn't followed carefully and correctly.

Archon186, it's great to have you here. It sounds like you're doing all the right things with regard to prepping for the game and in this thread you've made a thoughtful contribution already!

BG gets a lot of love on this site as it deserves. In the forums and files there are many great resources for you. I recommend particularly Universal Head's player aids here and Hholzgrafe's "Tips and Locations" aid found here. The latter is great because you won't find yourself leaning over to read the small print on the ship locations on the board. Additionally, it's always tough for new players to become a cylon and then forget what their options were and not being able to ask; the aid helps with that.

Have fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Archon286 Brad
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
Gawain wrote:
Get the FAQ, if you haven't already

Thank you! I had not seen this yet. Thanks to Brother Jim as well, those are some great links.

Hell, thanks to the lot of ya.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mike_Bonn wrote:
Also, the cards from Destiny come first and if you are using the Investigative Committee from the Base Game, they should be revealed before the first player contributes.

This is very useful since you can avoid going for a skill check when Destiny is harsh on you (and the other way around).

One thing that one of my earlier groups have played wrong is you can't play IC, see what the Destiny cards are, and THEN decide (say, after seeing blue in Destiny) to play a SR (Sci-Research, makes blues positive).

The correct way is either
1) you play IC, Destiny gets added (rules state Destiny is technically the 1st cards added to a skill check, NOT the first player in skill check order), and if there's a blue, then it's already too late to play SR.
2) you play IC, decide to take a chance that there will be at least one blue, play SR, AND THEN reveal Destiny (since you did play IC and that's what it does) and see if you got lucky.

Archon286 wrote:
Gawain wrote:
Get the FAQ, if you haven't already

Thank you! I had not seen this yet. Thanks to Brother Jim as well, those are some great links.

Hell, thanks to the lot of ya.

FYI, this one's updated 8-20-09 which isn't the latest one. However, the latest one (updated 1-21-11) is really only needed if you want to look up Exodus exp material.

Last but not least, there's the UFAQ here on BGG
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/wiki/page/Battlestar_Galactica_...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerry Smit
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Something to emphasize about order in skill checks, play starts left of Current Player, NOT the person who caused the Skill Check. When a player targeted by an Executive Order then activates Administration, Brig or Admiral's Quarters it is very important to remember play does NOT start from their left , ending with the XO'd player. It starts left of Current Player, and ends with Current Player.

That Disc that gets passed around? VERY important, and very useful, reminder.

Gerry

ps. Welcome to bgg, and maybe PBF BSG at bgg. ghs2
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Stewart
United Kingdom
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GerryRailBaron wrote:

...provided you remember to keep passing it round - I don't think I've yet played a game where the marker stayed current as far as Sleeper, never mind until the end...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rmsgrey wrote:
GerryRailBaron wrote:

...provided you remember to keep passing it round - I don't think I've yet played a game where the marker stayed current as far as Sleeper, never mind until the end...
That's fine. The tradeoff is people will ask throughout the game who the current player is is all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.