United Kingdom
Stanley
Co. Durham
flag msg tools
CROM THE INVINCIBLE, SAVIOR OF THE GRUNGE MASTERS DAUGHTER
badge
HE JUST CANT BE KILLED, OR CAN HE???
mbmbmbmbmb
I have been thinking whilst on the toilet again. Dungeon crawler combat is one of those things that can either be really exciting and off the cuff or long and tedious and repetitive.

My favourite system i have played is advanced heroquests D12 system. It is pretty fast, allowing you to generally get a kill a turn against weaker baddies, it isnt complicated and movement in combat and the way enemies were laid out meant it wasnt often a use the door as a bottleneck fighting system.

Regular heroquest has a great combat system, but having all the dice the same meant it was very limited, and harder enemies with lots of dice were often as easy to kill.

Descent journeys in the dark 1st edition. Massivly complicated. I play with heavy gamers and light gamers, and the light gamers just didnt enjoy it. The dice were well thought out, balanced and worked, but it just had too much going on.

All 3 of these games also became very very easy once your character had progressed a bit. I had an advanced heroquest dwarf wizard who was virtually invisible and had a flaming sword that was probably more effective than a lightsaber.

I think the best dungeon crawl I have played is actually using the rules for warhammer fantasy roleplay 2nd ed. The d100 system is simple, and the roleplay element allows a lot of freedom. The only problem with roleplay combat is that it is often very long, taking seperate rolls for attacking, defending and damage and this makes it all take longer. And you also need a good GM.

So what does everyone else prefer?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patar Absurdus the Shananigator
United States
Carrollton
TX
flag msg tools
"what you just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response, were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought.
badge
Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul."
mbmbmbmbmb
I liked Claustrophobia's combat fairly well but hated Ravenloft's. Claustrophobia focused on movement and how you placed your players to deal with monster spawning and attacks in the most effective way which I found interesting. The Table top DnD was boring simply because the monsters always did the same things and were pretty bland and predictable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Shaw
United States
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My favorite was actually Heroquest for a combat system, though I thought Warhammer Quest and Advanced Heroquest both sported equally good systems.

Space Hulk has a good combat system as well, just not as much a favorite of mine as the other three above.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tom brown
United Kingdom
Stanley
Co. Durham
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
i love the space hulk combat symbol. i dont think it would work very well for a dungeon crawler unless it was modified to deal with hit points etc, which would be pretty simple. there also isnt much scope for advancement.

thats given me a lot to think about.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garcian Smith
United States
Northridge
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ironman99 wrote:
I have been thinking whilst on the toilet again.
Ah yes, sometimes the greatest thoughts arise when we clear ourselves of distractions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T K
United States
Safford
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
HeroScape, which uses a mehchanic very similar to HeroQuest is a nice elegant (in my opinion) system.

I'm digging the combat in Dungeon Run. Takes some getting used to, but I like it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tom brown
United Kingdom
Stanley
Co. Durham
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have tried heroscape once, I enjoyed the game but found the units to be pretty unbalanced, although that may be because I have only played twice and my opponent knew which units were best. cant beat that 101st! The combat is very similar to hero quest.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.